LCD or LED or Plasma

Ron

I've got an LCD, had it for 2 1/2 years, everythings still great...

Plasma sucks if you play video games..

Plasma sucks if you live at high altitudes

LCD w/ backlit LED is the way to go but is $$ right now

OLED is beautiful but $3000 for a 11" screen ahah

LCD is def the winning standard with the best performance for its price

Samsung, LG are great models..

stay away from Sony, they over-sharpen their colors on their TV's to state a higher contrast ratio but it definately effects standard viewing quality when lights are on in the room.

I got mine from Tiger Direct, it was an olivea they have gone out of business but Samsung's Firmware updates work on it so I get all the new features even though my tv is 2 1/2 years old

I paid $1900 for my 52"

This would be worth $1100 now if you got it in a store

If you buy a 40" + LCD and spend between $800 - $1100 you are going to be happy with it.

My parents just got the new LG 52" LCD/LED backlit for $5500 US

Puts all other TV's to shame..

Ive had a 42" Samsung plasma for about 4 years now. Knock on wood, I havent had any problems. Im actually going to be upgrading here on boxing day !

I guess the only real peice of advice I can give is, If your going to purchase in the near future... wait for Future Shops boxing day sales. My buddy picked up a 54" Samsung LCD 1080P last year for $999 !!!!!

I thank everyone too for the help cause it helped me pick, I think I will be going with the LCD this time. I already had the plasma and it was good... but my apartment has the rising sun in the windows till about noon... so I DO notice quite a bit of glare. I play video games, watch sports, and love movies.

I know the plasma is good for movies and sports, but not video games and the lighting I have.

LCD it is !

I got a Sharp Aquos 46" 1080p in Oct of 2007. It's hooked up to Rogers HD dual PVR and I've yet to be more impressed with regards to picture quality from any friends setup. Of course blueray in true 1080p trumps anything but it's still impressive.

Keep in mind distance from the TV is also important with regards to size of your television. If you're sitting 6-7ft from a 50" set watching a standard definition station it simply isn't going to look great at all and the fact is a ton of channels you probably watch are not available in HD and if they are might cost you a good few bucks to purchase them.

Edited by Governator

For any of the guys buying HDTV's this winter, please make sure you checkout monoprice.com for ANY of your cabling needs.

Futureshop, Best Buy and the rest of the big box stores make a killing out of over priced, over hyped HDMI cables. When it comes down to it, it's all about the 1's and 0's... now if you can tell me how one cable does this better then another one I am ALL ears!

Shipping to Canada is cheap and super fast.. I've been using them for years...

monoprice.com

For any of the guys buying HDTV's this winter, please make sure you checkout monoprice.com for ANY of your cabling needs.

Futureshop, Best Buy and the rest of the big box stores make a killing out of over priced, over hyped HDMI cables. When it comes down to it, it's all about the 1's and 0's... now if you can tell me how one cable does this better then another one I am ALL ears!

Shipping to Canada is cheap and super fast.. I've been using them for years...

monoprice.com

:spam:

You're right though, spending $50+ on an HDMI cable is a joke. You can get them for $5 all over the web, it's just to send a digital signal.

I'll also be buying a new TV in the near future Ron and everyone I've talked to has said Samsung is the way to go.

I have a 42" Plasma from Samsung and as luck would have it (normally it doesn't work out for me this way) the TV began powering itself off after being on a few minutes. I googled it and low and behold, Samsung is notorious for this - cheap components. The lucky part is that it happened exactly 2 days before the 2 year warranty expired. And better yet, it was in-home service for parts and labour - so no cost or inconvenience to me and easy to file the claim (with original receipt).

The tech did say this will likely happen again in 2 years. So at a cost of $800 to replace the mother board, I won't likely do it if it happens again --> so that means I bought a $1500 TV for only 4 years! Oh well, I vowed never to buy Samsung again.

Edited by fisher

Ron.. just go old school and buy a nice Panasonic Tau HD 37" flat screen TUBE. Gonna cost you three times as much probably..and weight 200 lbs..... but it will still be working for your grand kids, just like the 27 year old RCA console I have in the basement.

Edited by irishfield

If your going to buy a plasma, your only consideration should be a Panasonic since they dominate the plasma industry since they bought out Pioneer's plasma tv division (Pioneer used to make the best plasma TVs).

I personally just bought a 720p 42" plasma just because of the price and the reviews of the model. As well I opted to go for 720p instead of 1080p because at 42" it's really hard to see the difference. 1080p only really matters when your considering 47" or higher. As well the refresh rate on a plasma is must better than on a LCD since there are still issues with Ghosting. As well, plasma burn-ins are pretty much a thing of the past. Newer Plasma TVs have built in pixel orbiters which ensures that this doesn't happen and if it does, then you got yourself a lemon.

If your considering Plasma, then Panasonic

If you are considering an LED TV, then I suggest Samsung since they were the ones that pioneered the technology.

If your considering LCD Samsung or LG

Guest gbfisher
You've got it a bit backwards. Plasma tv's you will need to replace the bulb every so often

Ive been called backwards before but thats no issue. :lol:

I'm on my second bulb in 4 years..LCD.

They are easy to replace if you are carefull. Being an electrician by trade made it less of a challenge... ;)

:spam:

You're right though, spending $50+ on an HDMI cable is a joke. You can get them for $5 all over the web, it's just to send a digital signal.

lol @ spam.

If you are into HT, you've heard of monoprice :) Just trying to save the guys here a few bucks.

46inch Panasonic plasma here, had it for about 1 1/2 years.

It gets hot and the heat is noticable, especially in the summer.

It uses a lot of electricity

It's heavy as you know what

It looks great!

Mine has an SD card slot for viewing photos on the front panel.

Good luck in your decision.

HH

Hey Ron,

As other have stated, the Panasonic Viera (plasma). I personally don't have one but in working on TV shows, MOW's, Feature Films our tech guru's at work have tested a number of sets as our old tube units are dying off. As they do pass on they have been replace with the Panasonic Viera. There is a much more expensive unit that we will be going to in the near future. It will allow us to have all the monitors aligned perfectly so the picture will look the same from one room to the next on different monitors. For your needs I'd say you will not be disappointed in the Panasonic. Several of our guys at work have bought them for their personal use and love them.

Will

dont worry about the lifespan of any type, LED,LCD or plasma, the new models all last very long.

LCD or plasma, frankly all the specs and different 120,240HZ, contrasts ratios, blablabla all minor. it's all 1080p TVs now (which if you dont have a bluray it doesn't matter cause everything else is 720p or 1080i when it comes to HD) my opinion, if you are looking at Lcd or plasma, shop around find the one that looks best to you, stick to good brands and you will be happy if you stay within your budget.

LED, more expensive, image quality, WOW, super thin! but again, once you have your tv in your living room and watching high def it will look good no matter what if you shopped around and picked the one that looked good to you.

last note: SAMSUNG, outstanding quality or Pioneer, or pioneer elite. (but I hear pioneer is dropping the tv market products), and buy the right size for your room. Dont buy too big, or too small.

I've had a Samsung 46" 1080P for almost 3 years. No problems whatsoever. Combined with Dish network and a Bose speaker system- we love it. Much has changed in that time, including price. I chose lcd because of glare concerns as I have skylights in the family room. I get almost zero glare on the lcd.

As an aside, based on the posts above it appears we can buy tv's here in the states cheaper than in Canada, not sure why that is.

Hi Ron, this is the one we recently purchased. Even running other devices through a videoconferencing codec, the images look great. But, you have to choose one of probably 200 units in your price range and size requirements. LG says it's supposed life span is 100,000 hrs. Hope that does happen. And, it is not as heavy as plasmas from years back, its only 77 lbs.

http://www.lge.com/ca_en/tv-audio-video/tv...a-tv-50PQ60.jsp

My first hdtv was a dlp. Great picture when it was new, but a bulb later and a fading screen after that caused me to cash in on my extended warranty. Most people say not to buy the warranty but it worked for me. I replaced it with a 47" LG LCD. The upgrade cost me about $300.00. Been happy ever since.

Lots of good advice here for you, I will just add go with the one that looks the best too your eye and don`t get hung up on specs that most people don`t understand. LG has a longer warranty and that was the deciding factor for my last purchase.

I got an extended 3 year warranty included with my Panasonic in Kitchener.

JF