What'd you catch, that wasn't a fish ??

lew

This summer in Dunnville I was fishing with my 3 year old Jacob when he dropped his scooby doo fishing rod in the water (5 minutes earlier I was thinking about attaching it to the boat). It instantly went under while we were trolling. I tied a deep diver on and casted to where I thought it would be and caught it on the first try :D

I am glad I did because the tears were insane.

A few years back my daughter threw her barbie rod into the lake.Her excuse,so the fish can play with it.A year later at the same spot on the lake,she asked if she can have her rod back.The next day someone snagged onto it.

Late last summer I was fishing dunville dam bottom bouncing,two gents were standing behind me,told them that it wasnt a good idea too stand there.My snag came loose,flew out of the water,pencil weight to his forehead and a perfect hook set to his ear lobe.No hard feelings after the fact.

I was fishing the Thames one year in the spring. Standing on a particularly steep, muddy spot on the bank and hooked into something. It felt big but not really fighting hard. Just going side to side in the current. I finally get it in close to the bank but it was too far under in the dirty water and all I could see was a big dark shape and it was kind of hung up on some roots or something. So I gave a good hard pull and it let go of the roots and this big, dark round thing came lunging out of the water right at my feet. What I saw (or thought I saw) was a giant snapping turtle charging out of the water to attack me! I started scrambling backwards in the mud and then started slipping and was sliding down toward the thing and was just about to start a full scale, screaming panic when I realized what it really was.

A green plastic garbage can lid. All covered in algae and mud. The 'head' was the handle, all jammed full of mud on the side.

Trolling years ago with a buddy at Kincardine, catching lots of salmon and lakers, my rod goes of 80' down in about 130' of water, pulling like crazy I'm getting fairly cocky about this thing has got to be huge, as I get it closer Dave nets a open bag of chips, no idea how it stayed on the line hook was about 2" down from the opening, for about a year I was known as the fish & chips boy & when I was 11 yrs old I bent down to get a worm behind a buddy he put the hook in the top of my ear very sore when we got to the hospital the nurse started laughing the worm was still on the hook, I wasn't letting anyone touch it till I got to the hospital like I said very sore

Richard

I have caught and anchor, snails, clams, rocks, and other lures. I once caught a half digested perch. I figure that it was in the through of a fish that I lost. I have also caught two flies. They laned on my my spool while I was reeling in, the line wrapped around them and trapped them.

Caught was had to be about 40 yards of line and I thought it was your average snag of garbage until the line started tugging back :w00t:

ended up "almost" catching about a 4lb smally until she let go of the goby that was on the 4o yards of line I had snagged LOL!

It was the most confusing fight ever LOL...

First I was snagged....then there was just some weight on the hook when the snag came loose....then as I started to pull in the 40 yards of line I had a huge pull, and a quick fight that lasted long enough to see the bass spit the goby...then I realized the goby was alive and tugging LOL!

Wish I caught the smally but hey its still a good story. :lol:

Last year while fishing for whities on hard water, near the end of the day, moved to a spot and started jigging.

Here's a excerpt of the post I made:

"We headed for our final destination, the spot, the first time we set foot on this lake last weekend. Did not produce anything except for me getting almost a heart attack when jigging and feeling resistance on my line, only to see that I had snagged a long skinny tree branch that I was able to land on ice LOL My PB LOL"

Leechman

What haven't I caught. Caught another boats anchor cable. The other angler was perplexed that his boat was moving, and I had one heck of a fight on my hands. I thought I had the mother of all Grand cats on the line until my son pointed out the other boat coming towards us.

I've caught hats, bras and panties, old rod and reels, gulls, mallard, turtles, a mukrat, tires, old shoes, etc... Haven't dragged up a corpse yet, but I tried.

When I was a kid I was camping at Lake Scugog.

I was around 9 yrs old and I hooked into a turtle from shore about 25 to 30lbs .Finally a guy came

over to help me I was afraid to fish for the next few days.

Here are some other things and creatures I caught.

IMG_0294JPGIceRapala.jpg

IMG_0056JPGseagull.jpg

IMG_0430_1.jpg

Percher's prized catch in the grand river last August.

My son caught a huge bolt that probably weighed 5lbs.

I also caught a nice reef runner in Quinte along with 200 feet of line.

Edited by Mike the Pike

One day with wire line on simcoe dad pulled out a small wood stove.

Fishing with my uncle for bullheads one night he thought he had a big channel cat on untill a beaver climbed up on the far bank with his glowing jig head stuck on its foot.

I got a clam once on a worm.

I caught a salmon in coldwater with about 8" of a spear sticking out of its back.

It would be cool to drain a big lake and see all of the crap thats down there.

• 1 month later...

A few years ago we were fishing on Kikwisi lake in Quebec trolling for big walleye and my buddy hooks into a monster. After about 5 minutes or so we get it up to the boat and its a 15 lb flat rock. The look on his face was priceless. He was so pissed and dejected he snapped his rod over his knee and said take me to camp, I might as well just sit around and do some drinking. I laugh every time I think of that.

My friend caught a bat before... not a baseball bat, but a flying creature bat. My brother caught our dogs ear once. My buddy caught me in my shoulder. Turtles, I helped unhook a bird once. Dads friend was fishing, fillet a fish, and threw the fillet into the hole only to hear theneighbours catching it. Once a guy broke his rod ( bobber and worm setup ), I got bored of fishing for that species and decided to throw a spoon, all of a sudden, WHAM! fish on... I hooked into his bobber and fish ;)

Caught crabs...

I have also caught a bat from mid air.

last summer my friend lost a pike on a rapala about an hour later I caught the same pike with his lure still in its mouth.

have caught a shoe old bike tire . Hooked into a long steel cable ice fishing in simcoe cutt the line and let her sink back down..

I watched a friend catch a cell phone ice fishing ...

This past fall on Big Doe I caught my own anchor line without realizing that it had come undone.

I felt a hit and set the hook, it felt like a good one pulling drag and all only to get it to the boat and realize that it was an anchor line. then looked to the front of the boat to realize that it was mine. I felt blessed and stupid all at the same time.

Jim