OK, lets see your Dad and Grandfather

lew

There's a great thread going on right now about who you'd like to fish with if you were given the chance, and alot of us said we'd like another chance to go out with our father or grandfather......I said both.

Let's see some pictures of the guys that taught you how to land the bigguns.

These 2 wonderful folks are my grandparents, who both passed away about 30 odd years ago, but I have very strong memories of fishing with my grandfather for many many years. Not sure if that's a pike or musky he's holding, but he could catch fish with the best of them.

Cnv1679.jpg

This is my dad, who died in 97, and is the one who basically taught me everything I know about fishing. I don't think I ever knew another person who enjoyed the outdoors as much as him and I could spend days telling tales about our fishing trips together.

This pic is from about 1955 and that old baitcaster he's using is probably the outfit I learned to fish with.....sure wish I still had it.

Cnv1206.jpg

Lets see some pics of your fishing mentor......your dad or grandfather

here is one of my favorite pics. it is my son at 2 days old and his greatgrandfather. Unfortunatly he died a few months later. 96 years old and never spent a night in the hospital until he was 94. one of the greatest people i will ever meet in my life! Sure glad my son got to meet him!

118941.JPG

Ps my first fish was a perch caught with my grandfather in cambellford on the trent river!

Edited by lunkerbasshunter

I never fished with either of my Grandfathers, though my Mom's Dad was an avid outdoorsman, she thinks that where my Brother and I get our "outdoorsyness" from. My Dad was definately the first adult to teach me to fish, and I have many memories of us fishing together...he died in August 2003, I was lucky enough to spend some real quality time with him at our Trailer the week before he passed...Here's a pic from that week, Dad and Tyler in our boat.

092238.jpg

Edited by Pigeontroller

Here is a picture of my Dad.

He was born in 1895, and was 60 years of age when I was born.

He passed away in 1969 when I was 13 years old.

He was a heck of a guy who was loved by everyone who knew him.

When I was a kid, people would ask me, "Who are you" when I replied, their faces would always light up, and they would say things like, "Boy, I really liked your father, he was the greatest guy, he was a joker, he helped a lot of people", etc, etc.

My father knew he would not live long enough to see me grow up. He spent most of his time trying to instruct me, in the ways of life. He could not do any physical activities with me because he had a bad leg, and was also partly hunchbacked. I remember he had a job as a Watchman at the Sawmill, our town at the time had the third largest sawmill in Canada.

My mom, and I would bring him a hot lunch, around 5:00 O'clock, and after he ate, he would take me and mom behind the Planer building, which abbuted onto Lake Nipissing's Cache Bay, where he had stowed a couple of long poles outfitted with that green heavy gauge dacron fishing line, hooks and sinkers. He also had the worms nearby. I remember catching Pike and Sunfish, all I had to do was lift the pole, and because of it's 8-9 foor lenght, the fish would come swinging in and hit the back wall.

Anyhow, here is a picture of him when he was 22 years old, that would be 1917...

Dad.jpg

Darn it all, got nothing scanned from numerous pictures of my dad fishing, never met my g-paw on my dad's side, he died well before I was born, and my g-paw on my mum's side didn't fish(he was an irishman, what up wit dat??).

And, the pics I do have of him, I cannot use or download because of old file formats.

Here is a picture of my Dad.

He was born in 1895, and was 60 years of age when I was born.

He passed away in 1969 when I was 13 years old.

He was a heck of a guy who was loved by everyone who knew him.

When I was a kid, people would ask me, "Who are you" when I replied, their faces would always light up, and they would say things like, "Boy, I really liked your father, he was the greatest guy, he was a joker, he helped a lot of people", etc, etc.

My father knew he would not live long enough to see me grow up. He spent most of his time trying to instruct me, in the ways of life. He could not do any physical activities with me because he had a bad leg, and was also partly hunchbacked. I remember he had a job as a Watchman at the Sawmill, our town at the time had the third largest sawmill in Canada.

My mom, and I would bring him a hot lunch, around 5:00 O'clock, and after he ate, he would take me and mom behind the Planer building, which abbuted onto Lake Nipissing's Cache Bay, where he had stowed a couple of long poles outfitted with that green heavy gauge dacron fishing line, hooks and sinkers. He also had the worms nearby. I remember catching Pike and Sunfish, all I had to do was lift the pole, and because of it's 8-9 foor lenght, the fish would come swinging in and hit the back wall.

Anyhow, here is a picture of him when he was 22 years old, that would be 1917...

Dad.jpg

Those old b&w photos sure are great, aren't they Clampet, seen lots of them, the subjects are always very stiff looking, but that was the way photographers plied their craft back then. You had to sit very, very still, while the exposure took place, not the millisecond it takes now for most pics.

I don't have any fishing pictures of my dad or his father as I didn't own a camera way back then...

Here is a four generation picture of me on the left standing beside my dad with my grampa sittin holding my oldest son Dennis

and here is my mentor...as soon as school was out for the summer I was sent to the farm where he minded me...

My mom's dad wasn't a fisherman but he never missed taking me to the Santa Clause Parade every year and to his company's (Clark's Tannery) Christmas Party where all the boys got a hockey stick and puck...LOL

My dad raised three girls and a boy, whenever we would be driving him crazy he would take us all down to the water and put us in a boat to fish...Made us all fall in love with those peacefilled competative moments... I will post pictures tomorrow once I get them scanned... of course they are all of him fishing with my brother. He avoids taking us girls out on fishing trips these days... although I think he may be changing in his old age as I did manage to get him to take me with him and my brother to the fishing show this year. He takes my three boy out on his boat and has taught them what pulling in a big bass is all about.

Great thread Lew.

Here's a picture of my Dad with my two Grandfathers. My Dad was offered a piece of property on the Trent for the boat in the late 40's and turned it down. Don't know what happened to the boat, but I'm sure the land is still there.................dang!!

DadGramps.jpg

Here's a picture of my GrandDad. Obviously knew how to fish. I remember him, but never fished with him.

GrandDad.jpg

The is the wonderfull man i spent alot of my very younger yrs fishing with, My grandaddy who will be 80 yrs of age this coming July. Sadley he does not get out as much as he used to due to illness. But i did manage to get him out one day last spring. I am really hoeping to do the same again this yr.

It is because of him i have so much love for this sport.

GrandaddyI.jpg

I never got to fish w/ my paternal grandpa, but I wish I had....I really miss him!

Here are some pics of my maternal grandpa. 74 and still going strong...he loves to fish all summer for bluegills, and loves his 17' Jayhawker poles:

Gpasfish.jpg

Gpasdouble.jpg

57fish.jpg

I don't have any pics of fishing with my dad as it's been 16 years since we've done that, but I will have pics in a few months after our day on the water in April.

Great thread!

dk

Here's the man who got me 'hooked' on fishing (my dad):

gallery_105_173_143149.jpg

The pic is from opening day of bass season '06. Every year we enter the bass tourney and whether or not we catch fish doesn't really matter. We always have fun and enjoy the day together.

Actually, he just retired last Friday and I am moving my parents to their cottage this weekend. I am envious of him being able to fish every day and happy that he finally got to retire.

Edited by Fishnfiend