OK, lets see your Dad and Grandfather

lew

Guest Trophymuskie

You guys are so lucky, never really had a grandfather as one died before I was born and the other passed when I was just 3 years old. I remember some accidents I had at that age, and have the scars to remind me but nothing as for my grandfather. Funny thing is one of my grandmas is still alive at 93 but she's been hanging on for a long time so it should not be long now.

My father passed before computers came along, well not this kind anyways as we lost him back in '86. At the age of 22, just to think we were just starting to reconnect as me and my dad were one until I became a teenager. Wherever he went I would follow be it hockey in the winter or baseball in the summer. LOL I remember him forgetting me at a ball park once.

I have a picture on my desk. I'll try and scan it and post it later.

Been a city boy most of my dad's memories are around sports but my grandma did have a cottage and I do remember some fun fishing as well as bullfrog hunting we used to do. That was after many years of playing with tonka trucks in the red dirt.

My grandfather has never really been fishing with me, but he is a big supporter of what I do, and even happens to have some spring fed brookie streams on his property, where I got my start.

In October, my old man moved out to Saskatoon for a job opportunity so I dont get to see him much anymore, but I will always remember the fishing that we did together, he used to drive me everywhere to go fishing. We drove to VA, MI, DE, NC, MD, QUE all for us to go fishing and I love him for it, we learned alot about fishing, about eachother and developped a bond that I think most kids would dream of having with their dad. Below is a pic of the last time I fished with my dad, a pike tournament last June, which we won!

IMG_0430.jpg

Here`s one of my Dad, but it`s from this years deer hunt.... I haven`t got any digital pictures of him and I or my Gramps and I fishing. I`ll have to get my him to scan some and send them to me...

As a matter of fact I`m going to call him right now... Thanks Lew

gallery_80_27_66415.jpg

Well I dont have alot of pictures of my dad, he was killed when I was only 7 but here's a few of my favourites...

He's taking the picture ... I think we were at Glen Haffy

jon1.jpg

This one is at 'the point' at Heart lake .. where I caught my first rainbow ... my mom and aunt are sitting beside my dad there ... after he died they used to rent a boat together, or drive to collingwood to take me out fishing because they knew how much I loved it ...

jon2.jpg

And this is really the only picture I have of me with my dad

jon3.jpg

As for my grandfather .. I think I am gonna have to raid my mom's photo album and do some scanning ... I havent actually got any of him (he lived in Malta ... and died when I was about 11 but I'll never forget him making up a batch of STINKY cheese to be used as bait balls for the mullet) ... or when he was over staying with my Mom in Brampton just after my dad died I came home one day with a big pike and he was filleting it in the kitchen (that was the LAST fish I was allowed to bring home un-cleaned)

I never got to meet either of my grandfathers. They died long before I was born. If anything, they lived in tropical places with great fishing (Guyana and Mauritius) which probably explains my facination with deep sea fishing, coconut water, bug sprays and sunscreen.

I do fish with my dad quite a lot. He was the one who bought me my first rod, Was there when I caught my first fish and drove thousands of miles to my fishing spots over the years (before I got my licence). He was my camera man in some of the harshest weather known to man. And he paid for lunches, bait, Fishing Show entrance fees and most recently the fishing reel of my dreams (we are hiding the bill from my mom).

Here is my dad

Leaning into a nice carp

20060803012.jpg

Father and son

KW2.jpg

Wow...what an awesome thread!!! My dad taught me how to fish back in the early 70's. I have great memories of him helping me catch sunfish from a dock. Even though I had 2 brothers, I distinctively remember spending time with him...just him and I.

Here's a pic when he was healthy...about 3 years before he was diagnosed with cancer....

gallery_60_23_33354.jpg

We went on a charter fishing trip back in early summer 1994. It ws the first time we'd been fishing together in over 15 years. I think he knew this would be his last time fishing...he passed away just 7 months later. This is a picture taken on that trip....the chemo had taken a lot out of him, but we had a great day out on Quinte.

gallery_60_23_31201.jpg

I have nothing but awesome memories of my dad...and I know he's up there fishing every day!!!

Edited by ccmtcanada

Guest Trophymuskie
And this is really the only picture I have of me with my dad

jon3.jpg

OK how come no OFC'er noticed the old man was feeding you beer. maybe most are to young to remember stubbies, looks like a Molson product to me.