Took my dad fishing this weekend.

Joey

Dad has stage 4 lung cancer right now, which has spread to his liver and kidney. My sister and I took him out for his birthday for lunch a few weeks ago and he said to me he really wanted to go fishing. He's pretty weak right now, and very thin compared to what he used to be, but we sat a date for this weekend and he was as excited as a kid on Christmas Eve :)

I was half expecting him to cancel, but he didn't and was a real trooper for the day. He loves to fish for bass so since he lives in Aurora and we were not sure how long he'd make it, we just headed to Keswick to try for some smallies near Crates Marine.

Here we are heading down the river to the lake.

3898271911_16b8a15984_b.jpg

Here is his "tackle box" :lol: A scotch tin :rolleyes:

3898280237_8988b3e0da_b.jpg

He didn't have much for tackle so I rigged him up with a spinner bait and he did his best trying to stand and cast.

3898287761_056025b243_b.jpg

That didn't last long and he decided he wanted to just use his Mepps with a worm and bobber. I think his Mepps was 50 years old.

He got the first fish :D Not big, but a fish nevertheless.

3898056659_930cf865bd_b.jpg

3898846368_b9fddbfc34_b.jpg

Not much action in the area so we headed up to Snake Island. There was so much boat traffic it was insane. The waves that were produced by all the traffic was pretty bad and he had a hard time standing. He ended up having a little lie down for about a half and hour so we decided to take him down to the very south end of Cook's Bay where there is not much traffic.

He got another little perch and I got a pike.

3898863946_06d8baf1f6_b.jpg

3898855826_d28b698d4c_b.jpg

He still beat us both in the fish dep't as he got two fish :thumbsup_anim:

But mostly, he was just happy to be out with us. He really didn't want to leave even tho it was now 4:30 and we had been out since about 9 a.m. I couldn't believe he had made it that long, but was looking pretty tired. So we packed it up and headed back to his place. He said he was going for a nap :lol:

All day he just kept saying how happy he was. We shared some sandwiches, fruit, stories and jokes. It was a really good day. I will definately be taking him again soon. He wants to try for some Salmon now :)

Thanks for letting me share this special day with you, and if you can, take your dad fishing!!!

Joey

p.s. Thanks for the fishing tips Cudz!! Much appreciated.

Edited by Joey

Thanks everyone. I've been thinking over how much fun it was and will be making plans to get out with him again soon. I have to take him for one of his Dr.'s appt's on Thursday so I'll see if he wants to go again. I'll let him rest up a bit first though :lol:

Joey

Thanks everyone. I've been thinking over how much fun it was and will be making plans to get out with him again soon. I have to take him for one of his Dr.'s appt's on Thursday so I'll see if he wants to go again. I'll let him rest up a bit first though :lol:

Joey

good job keep it up, now that i think of it fishing really is the ultimate way for a son or daughter to spend time with their dad. Always has been for me.