Truly "Must Have" Items

Fishnwire

Another OFNer started a thread about top 5 lures. I mentioned that in addition to my "must-have" baits, I consider a decent pair a needle nose (for ease of hook removal) to be something I really prefer not to do without. Most have a cutting section for your line and you can bend a hook back into shape with them. I prefer not to throw a cast unless I have them on hand.

Anyway, what do you guys consider an essential piece of equipment to have on the boat seat, front section of your tackle bag, in your pocket, etc?...That tool or item you always like to have within arm's reach.

Cold beer is a valid answer, but let's not waste a lot of thread-space on the obvious.

In addition to the stuff you guys mentioned I like to have a copy of the regs on hand although I often forget them.

I really like to have zippered pockets when fishing too, saved losing my keys/wallet more than once.

Edited by Weeds

other then what's been posted, a map of the lake I am on (if in my boat; as I hope if I am in another person boat they know the area) so I know where I can go if the weather turns nasty.

A full pack of smokes, a full thermos of coffee, a full tank of gas and the camera.

I never go anywhere without my pocket knife......especially fishing. I'm lost without it.

Sinker

Edited by Sinker

I never wear a ball cap,except for fishing, then its standard gear. Good sunglasses all the time but especially on the ice. Hemostats are 100 times more practical then pliers... IMHO... cause you can just clip them on your clothing somewhere and you always have them. Nail clippers for cutting line,cause my teeth just don't cut it anymore.A hand towel cause the only thing worse then cold hands is cold WET HANDS. And finally something to keep me hydrated, which is a jug of water most of the time but in the winter it is usually a thermos of homemade soup.

Others things I bring regularly but the above things I ALWAYS bring.

rod setups, tackle, gulp alive, extra line, a back up baitcast reel, baseball cap, cap light , flash light, hot pads (in case it gets chilly) , polorized sunglasses , knife , pliers , lighter , camera , water/munchies , ZIPLOCK bags for sure! , if its befor mid june or in fall i'll keep a pair of snow pants on board the boat as well as gloves. extra pair of socks, bug spray/sun screen, a pair of crocks / sandals + shoes depending on weather,

if im in the boat, lots of rope + caribiniers , anchor, gas , pfd's , fish scale (scale+camera = gets rid of all those "fish stories")

other then that a few drinks , a good friend or the girlfriend all in all hopefully a good time!

I dragged my OFC tourney sign around a couple of years back. Our captain went MIA and the tourney results were never added up. I hated that I put all those fish through the added stress for nothing. I guess this could fall under the emergency toilet paper as well.

Good Post.

I thought about all my tackle bags, boxes and vests and there are three things I NEVER go fishing without.

1. Line nipper or a finger nail clipper. I put these on a retractable pin on when stream fishing other wise put it on a dollar store lanyard. Easy to find and I can wear it when the action gets hot.

2. Long nose pliers or a hemostat. Depends if I'm walking or in a a boat.

3. Small first aid kit. Nothing can wreck a days fishing than a little nick that bleeds all over the place. Great for kids too. Nexcare (lawlaws and Independant stores) makes a 5 pack that has just what I need for little emergencies. Each is a foldable organized pouch tha has 7 sections with a good variety of sizes of bandaids. Fold it an put it into a zip lock bag and forget it until you need it.

All else depends where I go and for how long. Most of the time I go for less than an hour so just the needed tackle and the above essentaila will do.

muddler

SMOKES! ahah.. pathetic. Always like to have my polarized with me to see follows b/c it builds my confidence to see that fish are somewhat interested and maybe tells me its time to switch it up. And a bottle of water.