Hello

baitrummer

Hello. I registered with OFA last year but have not properly introduced myself or have posted on here yet. Some of you guys are already familiar with me from other sites. So, I thought I would take this opportunity to post some pics and a few words about one of my recent fishing trips.

I appreciate all species of fish but carp angling is my passion. I fished a section of upper Bronte creek recently. Though the weather could have been better the trip turned into an enjoyable success with 5 fish caught and relaxation achieved :)

100_2036.jpg

The carp range 5 to 10 pounds on average in this water. My personal best ( weighed) was 16.5 from a few years ago.

100_2035.jpg

My bait of choice was large, mint and vanilla flavoured corn made by NEW WORLD CARP called "Mintzilla". It' really gets the fish on the hook. NWC also have a range of other baits and carp tackle available.

100_2039.jpg

The corn was used in conjunction with a hairrig and a method feeder. The feeder is used to hold a mixture of chicken feed and canned corn or whatever ingredients you choose. The corn, along with a little water helps to moisten and bind the feed allowing it to be wrapped around the feeder. The feeder is cast out into the water which then sinks to the bottom and crumbles after a minute or two. This 'chums the water and attracts the fish in to feed. They eventually find your hook bait ( hopefully! lol) and bang! Bob's your uncle.

100_2040.jpg

I used a 12ft, 2.5 test curve shimano carp rod with a Fox 'frontier' pod. The diawa reel has a baitrunner/ free spool feature that allows your line to be pulled off the spool until the free spool feature is disengaged. It's very useful when used with the pod ( or stand). I also used a bait alarm. This device has a wheel with a groove inside. The line sits on the groove. When a fish pulls the line through the groove it in turn spins the wheel which activates the alarm indicating a fish run by going 'beeeeeeeeppp'. It may sound complicated and expensive ( or pointless!!lol) but it is an exciting and safe way to fish for large fish as it saves your gear from getting dragged into the water. Below is the pod and rod set up.

100_2034-1.jpg

Anyway, I hope you enjoy my post. I look forward to doing more and reading yours. Tight lines everyone

ATB, Hairwig :)

Welcome hairwig. Nice set up for rubber lips you have there. Where do you buy that corn?

Hello jediangler. I bought mine at Bills Bait and Tackle in Hamilton. It's also available at Bronte Outdoors and Peters tackle in St Catharines. There are other locations but I'm not sure where? :)

Welcome to the site Hairwig, great intro and first report. carp are a great species, coming from England i'm very familiar with your set up. Love all the weird flavours that get used.

I brought my Shimano Baitrunner Aero GTE B with me from Blighty, love that reel, i used it for see fishing for bass(stripers) set the freeline on, adjust drag with fighting drag , fish can run with live bait, use a circle hook, and all you do is crank the handle, freespool off, hook sets and your playing yer fish!

It also works well with my downriggers, you can leave the freespool open with drag adjusted when yer lowering the cannonball...awesome reels baitrunners...many applications.

BAITRUNNERS...ALSO GOOD FOR DOWNRIGGING ...LOL

IMG_1455.jpg

Thanks for posting, really enjoyed the topic.