2009 Family Panfish Opener

ccmtcanada

With the summer-like forecast, we couldn't resist getting the boat out. We had a few things to accomplish. First was to see if the boat still leaked, and the second was to get some crappie for the dinner table!

Yellowboat was kind enough to come over to the house to take a look at our boat. We've had some leaking issues...nothing major, but still wanted to see about getting it fixed up. He came over on his own time earlier this week with everything needed to replace rivets. He explained what he was going to do....I figured anyone who uses aircraft grade rivets and sealant used in airplane fuel tanks was more than qualified!! Less than an hour after he arrived, he had replaced 2 suspect rivets. As it turned out, there are 3 more rivets that have leaks, but the major leak has been fixed and the ones he put in were dry as a bone. :thumbsup_anim:

Fast forward to today...

Woke up to see lots of clouds in the sky...the wind forecast was for 30km/h winds. Not great...but we hitched the boat up and headed up to Lake Scugog. We first headed to Island Marina, since that side of the lake would be sheltered from the southwest winds. Turns out I should have called ahead as the entire section leading to the ramp was dug up!! Hmm...plan B...head to the public launch in Port Perry. As I pulled closer and closer to the ramp, I noticed the docks were not in yet. Arghhh!!! Since we had our little one with us, and I MUCH prefer docks where I launch, we headed to launch number 3 on the lake. We pulled into Goreskis, quick launch and we were on the water close to 10am.

The winds were moderate when we arrived, so we decided to fish close by. We found a nice little somewhat sheltered bay to fish in and started our search for crappie. It took us about 20 minutes to mark fish. They were scattered in about 7 feet of water.

Our little one was the first to catch a fish!!

01opener.jpg

Suddenly, the crappie bite turned on!! For about a 45 minutes, each drift yielded crappie after crappie!! Here's some pics...

My little one with a nice one!

02opener.jpg

Here's a double header...

04opener.jpg

Bly with a nice one...

03opener.jpg

We caught tons of little perch and the odd sunfish mixed in as well...

05opener.jpg

We fished until about 1pm...the winds had picked up considerably, so we booted around the lake a bit before heading in the for the day.

My little one ended up with the biggest fish of the day...here she is at home with her 10.5" crappie. It qualifies for the OFAH awards program, so we'll be submitting it for sure for her!

06opener.jpg

Here's the fish we brought home for the table...a successful day out on the water.

07opener.jpg

Congrats Sydney! Way to go! You're going to end up being a champion fisher lady.

You might want to give your dad a tip though to help out with his fish catching. Tell him to use much lighter nail polish for those overcast days.

Thanks for posting!

Great report and pics Cliff :thumbsup_anim:

Looks like your daughter has the crappies dialed in!!! Congratulation to her for that big brute :clapping:

Sounds like a fun time was had by everyone.... nothing beats a family outing!!! WTG guys :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for sharing

Leechman

Real nice report and pics Cliff!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

There's some real good eats in that there sink!!! :P

Congrats to Sydney for catchin' that big Crappie!!! :clapping:

... and a big thanks to Yellowboat for helping you with those rivets!!! :thumbsup_anim: (I hope you'll remember that when you tally up Team #1's tourney inches at the end of the year eh?!!! :w00t: )

Good job guys!!

I hope carole got a few too? She was telling me about her "luck" on Scugog so far, I hope it turned around!!

I just got home from work, hooked up the boat, and it a crazy storm came thru. It ripped the facia right off the house........we decided to stay home after that :) Might get out today if its not raining too hard. The kids are itching bigtime to get at the slabs!!

Sinker

Speaking of kids.......any news yet???

don't wanna get off subject on Cliff's report, but not yet dude. If he doesn't come by wednesday they might look into inducing. Which would be nice because we don't have the stressful drive to the hospital while in labor.

Once again - awesome report Cliff!

Cheers,

UF

Excellent report Cliff great to see ya get out on the water .Crappie another species I have to catch.

Oh and how come mom is not wearing her life jacket we let her answer Cliff :lol:

Ok May 22nd I an going to Perchers for some Salmon hopefully.

On the way back (sunday May 24th)if you are home I will take that coffee you owe me .that is if your not fishing.

Hope to see ya soon.Mike.

Hey Cliff

Awesome report! WTG Sydney on that monster crappie!

On a side note, did Scugog always have crappies in it? I remember fishing it with my uncle often as a kid and never hooked or seen one caught there. Haven't fished that lake for quite some time now.

Nice to get your daughter out for some crappie and other panfish!

WTG Sydney on that monster crappie!

On a side note, did Scugog always have crappies in it?

Scugog has only had crappie slowly for less than decade now. Not bad size ones though.