Lake Simcoe Report

Clampet

Dave Masse and I decided to give it a go for the Perch at Cooks Bay.

We went to a spot Dave had success with a few days ago.

We were set-up for fishing by 9:20 AM.

SimcoeCooksBayJan2007001.jpg

I beleive the key was green coontail weeds which hosted tiny scud, a type of fresh water shrimp, if I am not mistaken. You can see them clinging to the weeds.

The Perch we caught were what some consider to be "dinks", but I wanted to have a feed, so I kept them.

We tried moving to deeper water, but did not catch anything.

After trying two other spots, all by walking, we returned to the 1st one and caught some more.

The action was really non stop. As soon as you got your offering on bottom and lifted 2-6 inches, tap, tap, there was another.

A steady lifting motion proved their undoing. If I tried setting the hook, it always resulted in yanking the bait out of their tiny mouths. Also, the time I spent sharpening my hooks the night b4 proved to be time well spent.

We were paid a visit by a Conservation Officer, Mitch, who was anxipous about having his picture taken.

In the photo, It looks like Dave is slapping him, but he is really obliging the CO by covering his face, which as you can see is unnecessary, as the CO had pulled down his riding safety helmet.

SimcoeCooksBayJan2007003.jpg

On one of our forays looking for another spot we came across Rico Boxing. I got him to demonstrate the effectiveness and speed of a manual Swede Bore auger, which features an off-set handle. I saw first hand how much quicker it bore a hole over the old type inline handle Mora auger. Rico was on his way back, and when I looked he actually ran the whole 3/4 mile ( 1Km) to shore. He is in great shape!

SimcoeCooksBayJan2007002.jpg

So I managed a total of 29 Perch, and Dave had the requisite 25 on his conservation license.

SimcoeCooksBayJan2007007.jpg

On the way back I took the time to take a pic of some young future possible NHL fodder playing a game of hockey on the ice that they or someone had scraped. It was good to watch them play, with all their youthfull energy. I myself was winded from the walk.

SimcoeCooksBayJan2007008.jpg

HEY CLAMPET (PAUL)

Thanks for the day, it was perfect weather, good company and tons of fish, eeven the little one can be fun... took me a whilke to clean but way easier while still frozen.

Lets do it again soon

Thanks again

DAVE

Do you find that in order to get that 2 arms in motion fast speed action, you sorta gotta hold the auger at a slight angle, thereby making the hole slanted?

Hey Paul, good to see you got some feed to take home. As for the question above, I have a finnbore and to my knowledge all the holes I've drilled have been very straight. I kind of think that it would have to be straight in order to have both blades cutting properly. Initially it may seam to wobble but it does straighten out.

Stan

I think it's the large one's yer suppose ta throw back.

The large females are the fish that have all the eggs.

Mebbe I's rong, puleese set me right ifn I is.

I wouldn't want to clean all those B) , but the odds of a jumbo having eggs is much greater, I cleaned some jumbos in November that were full of eggs ?

Nice pics by the way.