If it got REALLY bad

Fishnwire

I might be a bit pessimistic, but if I remember correctly, survivormans last show where hes in Tamagami he and his friend have no freaking idea how to hunt and they gave up on fishing pretty darn quick. Well they got one grouse out of a tree for the entire week I guess :worthy:

Id say if you want real outdoor survival advice, goto the library and pick up some books on edible plants and fungi, basic survival methods, and whatever interests you, then get out there and develop the skills first hand. Your only seeing a tidbit of what it takes on TV.

I might be a bit pessimistic, but if I remember correctly, survivormans last show where hes in Tamagami he and his friend have no freaking idea how to hunt and they gave up on fishing pretty darn quick. Well they got one grouse out of a tree for the entire week I guess :worthy:

Id say if you want real outdoor survival advice, goto the library and pick up some books on edible plants and fungi, basic survival methods, and whatever interests you, then get out there and develop the skills first hand. Your only seeing a tidbit of what it takes on TV.

Xeon

The show i watch he is alone. No camera crew he does all the filming himself, He has no one with him he is dropped off at a certain location and has a week to make it to the location where he is to be picked up....

Xeon

The show i watch he is alone. No camera crew he does all the filming himself, He has no one with him he is dropped off at a certain location and has a week to make it to the location where he is to be picked up....

Theres actually a safety camp within a certain distance of him at all times. He explains it in his new show... ya he completly ruined the survivorman image for me by saying that. I still like the concept, but he and the show just dont seem genuine anymore.

Im kinda into the Bear Grills guy from man vs wild now. Ex SAS, so he knows how to super hardcore life or death survive, and I think that by not having to film the show himself he can do more. But with that said, some of the stuff is too super hardcore for the average joe who walks off the trail and gets turned around. He is very interesting to watch though, and is actually willing to put himself into the situation and show you how to survive unlike Les.

Theres actually a safety camp within a certain distance of him at all times. He explains it in his new show... ya he completly ruined the survivorman image for me by saying that. I still like the concept, but he and the show just dont seem genuine anymore.

Im kinda into the Bear Grills guy from man vs wild now. Ex SAS, so he knows how to super hardcore life or death survive, and I think that by not having to film the show himself he can do more. But with that said, some of the stuff is too super hardcore for the average joe who walks off the trail and gets turned around. He is very interesting to watch though, and is actually willing to put himself into the situation and show you how to survive unlike Les.

I never saw that show nor did i see the one when he was in temagami

You know the big problem here is spending you guys listen to and read to much media doom and gloom and all of a sudden a economic slowdown turns into a recession. Sort of a self fulfilling proposition.

Good for Lew for putting some money into the economy by buying a new boat, in the last 2 months I have bought a new house,about 20K of new stuff to put inside,gone on vacation and I will be buying a new car next week.

If you guys keep thinking about living in the woods you just may end up there.

Support the economy and buy something.

I did buy a new truck built here in Ontario this week...

The economy is temporarily down but I have lived through a few of these recessions. Human nature is such that we will learn & prosper from this. It will be tougher than the past recessions but it will put things back in perspective, e.g. family, health, reduced materialism. Think of this as a period of self-correction and an opportunity to reevaluate what is important and time to work toward towards it...

Edited by Ted & the Gadget

I respect Les Stroud but the guy sucks at finding food. How often does he completely misfire trying to catch fish or game (and end up with nothing)? Instead of setting up his elaborate traps or fishing contraptions, lift a rock and find/eat a crayfish....i mean, its never as complex or dangerous as he portrays it to be.

the thought doesnt scare me much at all, i own a 200 acre farm full of livestock and tillable ground, there is a major creek within easy walking distance that has bass, crappie and catfish, plus there are plenty of whitetail deer around. we also have 3 ground wells for a water supply. so my only real worry is wasting my ammo on theives that come to take what i have. i would love to get on the t.v show survivor and have thought alot about doing it, just got to get the boys a little bigger so they can help their momma a bit more around the house. if and when i make it, i will be the one thats looking for a club while the rest of the contestants are marveling over the beauty of some bird or monkey. mmmmmm drumsticks and monkey fritters. hell i will probably gain weight while im there. lol as my favorite hank williams jr song says "I can skin a buck and run a trot line-a country boy can survive!

jason

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, let's see. I would have to survive on Moose, Caribou, Buffalo, Ptarmigan, Lake Trout, White Fish And Burbot. Be pretty tough but I could probably manage. ;)

Would need to stock up on staples like sugar, flour, etc as well as gas for the boat, generator and sled, shells and some extra arrows and broadheads.

But I don't have to worry about any of that, my job is safe. :P

You know the big problem here is spending you guys listen to and read to much media doom and gloom and all of a sudden a economic slowdown turns into a recession. Sort of a self fulfilling proposition.

Good for Lew for putting some money into the economy by buying a new boat, in the last 2 months I have bought a new house,about 20K of new stuff to put inside,gone on vacation and I will be buying a new car next week.

If you guys keep thinking about living in the woods you just may end up there.

Support the economy and buy something.

your clearly not in the auto industry or rely on it for your well being. Im not being a smart ass here but anybody who has job security/retirement pention or lots of money thinks like you.

Half the county right now questions weather they will be employed at the end of the year. If your one of them then your not spending.

I am lucky i have job security with large % increases in my business but my neighbours are not as fortunate.

It all depends on what side of the coin your looking at. its different for everybody out there right now.

In regards to this tread, if it came down to it my family would survive! you have no other choice

cheers!

There is a wonderful book out called "Back to Basicsome very good friends gave me a copy many years ago and I in turn gave my son one several years ago. It is filled with information on traditional skills, everything from building a shelter to trapping, fishing, and preserving. Back to basics

There is enough information in this book to give you a really good chance of surviving in the bush if you had to.

the thought doesnt scare me much at all, i own a 200 acre farm full of livestock and tillable ground, there is a major creek within easy walking distance that has bass, crappie and catfish, plus there are plenty of whitetail deer around. we also have 3 ground wells for a water supply. so my only real worry is wasting my ammo on theives that come to take what i have. i would love to get on the t.v show survivor and have thought alot about doing it, just got to get the boys a little bigger so they can help their momma a bit more around the house. if and when i make it, i will be the one thats looking for a club while the rest of the contestants are marveling over the beauty of some bird or monkey. mmmmmm drumsticks and monkey fritters. hell i will probably gain weight while im there. lol as my favorite hank williams jr song says "I can skin a buck and run a trot line-a country boy can survive!

jason

Sounds like a great place for a survival commune!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Ok y'all!... we meet at OCs just before the next holocaust!!! :stretcher:

Be there or be Square!!! B)

I've always dreamed of just packing up our stuff, and heading into the woods to stay. Nothing would suit me better. I was brought up old school, from a family of survivors. My fathers family HAD to live off the land to survive, so its been passed onto me. If I had my choice, I'd go back to the old way of doing things.

I was watching an episode of Little house on the Prairie the other day with my wife, and even said to her how great it would be to live like that!

Sinker

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, let's see. I would have to survive on Moose, Caribou, Buffalo, Ptarmigan, Lake Trout, White Fish And Burbot. Be pretty tough but I could probably manage. ;)

Would need to stock up on staples like sugar, flour, etc as well as gas for the boat, generator and sled, shells and some extra arrows and broadheads.

But I don't have to worry about any of that, my job is safe. :P

The first staple you should get is salt, lots of it. Sugar isn't a necessity. Preserving food is your first concern as there would be long periods of no kill. If animals were being hunted consistently they sure wouldn't hang around as they sometimes do now. Also your body needs salt, just not near as much as we get now.

Vitamens through a long hard winter. Don't see too many oranges growing here. So what do you eat to suppliment that? Boil up some pine needles-yuck! O ya and how are you going to boil them? People that lived here for thousands of years had a hard time surviving. And some think they could do it? How many here actually spent a night in a tent in the winter? It's not pleasant even on a mild winter night with proper gear (not to me anyway). So you have all this gear. how are you going to carry it all? Where are you going to keep it so the animals don't take it away. How many of you have ever stalked an animal? They see and hear you a a lot sooner than you can see or hear them.

If it ever gets that bad (it wont) make sure you bring a shovel too. You will spend a lot of time burying the dead come spring.

How many of you have ever stalked an animal? They see and hear you a a lot sooner than you can see or hear them.

The large game would be a luxury, you would have to survive mainly on smaller game... rabbits, raccoons, possums, armadillos, coyotes, wild dogs and cats,ducks, geese, small birds, chipmunks and rat's BBQed on a stick!

I respect Les Stroud but the guy sucks at finding food. How often does he completely misfire trying to catch fish or game (and end up with nothing)? Instead of setting up his elaborate traps or fishing contraptions, lift a rock and find/eat a crayfish....i mean, its never as complex or dangerous as he portrays it to be.

I don't know why he makes things so hard for himself like starting a fire :blink:

I am very comfortable in the outdoors given my military survival training years back.

For me however no one compares to Ray Mears.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Mears

You may have seen him on OLN... a great man.