If it got REALLY bad

Fishnwire

If the economy totally collapsed and you didn't have a job, and totally lost your current way of life...had to provide a way of just basically staying alive...stay warm and not starve to death; How many of you could live "off the grid" so to speak?

For example, I have a camp way in the northern Ontario bush I currently use for recreational purposes. I could go there if I lost my home in the city. The stove is wood fueled and the small building well insulated. I wouldn't freeze to death over the winter, but might have a hard time feeding my family during those months. Nonetheless, I think I could eek out some kind of existence up there, for the most part, independent of the outside world.

As things appear to get worse and worse every day, I think about this more and more. I don't really think it will get that bad, but I am thinking.

Has anyone else considered a similar type of "exit strategy"?

I live in the country, 4+ acres of land, easily enough for a large garden, raise a pig or few, chickens, maybe a cow. LOL of course it would be on the wife and kids to do the work. City folks have fewer options because of lack of land.

Have a wood burner, and get wood from Amish sawmills. Not real sure what to make of the economy here, just can`t see a turn around with the job loss rate. A job and one you can live on are two different things.

That's actually a situation I've been pondering over the last few months, what if I had to change my lifestyle because of a drastic change in conditions? I would gradually like to learn to 'live off the land,' being a city person I have a lot to learn, but am anxious to learn it. Pondering a hunting license, don't have any buddies that hunt tho, it's tough enough finding ones that like to fish down here.

I can live off of Catfish and collard greens if I have to...

got enough guns and ammo I could take what I need if it came down to it.

Dawg, Between you and I and the wimmin,we would have it made. I shoot,you gut and drag,and I cook.

Works for me. :canadian:

If you got skills you will survive.

I am not worried ;)

I picked a career that people cannot do without my services.

Can pick up my tools and move on to different things at the drop of a hat if need be.

I can see bartering services becoming a huge thing in the next year.

Will work for bass boat time :lol:

Two guys were hiking through the bush when they spotted a bear. One of the guys reached into his pack and pulled out a pair of Nikes. His friend looked at him.

"Do you really think those shoes are going to make you run faster than that bear?"

"I don't have to run faster than that bear. I just have to run faster than you."

There will always be an economy. I believe in continually developing your marketable skills/education so you can "run faster than the other guy".

I'm eligible to retire in 3 years or if I loose my job before that which is likely my house goes for sale same day and when it sells I'm heading for a simplier way of life in the north. Cost of living will be way way less not to mention fish and game readily available for the kitchen table.

we got a customer on the Georgain Bay hes way out on his own Iliand, hes prepping for this he had a big Solar System put in last yr, Back up Gen ,Hugh Propane supply for heating Fridges Cooking etc,I dunno I cant see it getting that bad but if it did ya id survive,it would be a terrible place to live but the strong would survive

I watch survival man on Discovery :thumbsup_anim: and there is another program similar forget the name though....Great program all about survival in the wild & the toughest terrain, laugh if you like, But i have learnt alot watching that program so i like to think i'm good too go. :thumbsup_anim:;)

Two guys were hiking through the bush when they spotted a bear. One of the guys reached into his pack and pulled out a pair of Nikes. His friend looked at him.

"Do you really think those shoes are going to make you run faster than that bear?"

"I don't have to run faster than that bear. I just have to run faster than you."

There will always be an economy. I believe in continually developing your marketable skills/education so you can "run faster than the other guy".

Now that was funny ,guts busting. LOL

I watch survival man on Discovery :thumbsup_anim: and there is another program similar forget the name though....Great program all about survival in the wild & the toughest terrain, laugh if you like, But i have learnt alot watching that program so i like to think i'm good too go. :thumbsup_anim:;)

Oh geez, you're not talking about Bear Grylis? That guy is funny, but puts himself in some really stupid situations. Les Stroud on the other hand always has some really good advice we could use in a real world situation..

There are a lot of forgotten skills that need to be relearnt, and fewer people left who can pass them on. Many don't want to listen and learn. We quickly forget that survival is based on self- reliance. It never hurts to keep a veggie patch, learn food preserving. Reduce the unnecessary extras we like to surround ourselves with.

Berry picking and digging up roots are just as important as fishing and hunting.

If the economy totally collapsed and you didn't have a job, and totally lost your current way of life...had to provide a way of just basically staying alive...stay warm and not starve to death; How many of you could live "off the grid" so to speak?

For example, I have a camp way in the northern Ontario bush I currently use for recreational purposes. I could go there if I lost my home in the city. The stove is wood fueled and the small building well insulated. I wouldn't freeze to death over the winter, but might have a hard time feeding my family during those months. Nonetheless, I think I could eek out some kind of existence up there, for the most part, independent of the outside world.

As things appear to get worse and worse every day, I think about this more and more. I don't really think it will get that bad, but I am thinking.

Has anyone else considered a similar type of "exit strategy"?

You know the big problem here is spending you guys listen to and read to much media doom and gloom and all of a sudden a economic slowdown turns into a recession. Sort of a self fulfilling proposition.

Good for Lew for putting some money into the economy by buying a new boat, in the last 2 months I have bought a new house,about 20K of new stuff to put inside,gone on vacation and I will be buying a new car next week.

If you guys keep thinking about living in the woods you just may end up there.

Support the economy and buy something.

In this part of the country Nauti, there was zero possibility of surviving a nuclear war. Every nuclear plant was a strategic civil target. So was the Falls. So was 'gasoline alley'

All we could ever do was kiss our keesters goodbye if it had happened. So why worry?

Edited by bigugli

Part of the problem with the economy is people bought more than they could afford, with no thought for the future, eg. job loss, illness. Here in the states the savings rate is lower than most developed countries.

Spending and debt are a good recipe for disaster. Nothing wrong with buying but you have to be smart about it. Don`t consume just for the sake of consuming, all you do is make other people rich.

You know the big problem here is spending you guys listen to and read to much media doom and gloom and all of a sudden a economic slowdown turns into a recession. Sort of a self fulfilling proposition.

Good for Lew for putting some money into the economy by buying a new boat, in the last 2 months I have bought a new house,about 20K of new stuff to put inside,gone on vacation and I will be buying a new car next week.

If you guys keep thinking about living in the woods you just may end up there.

Support the economy and buy something.

\

I went out and bought myself a lurvly new pair of shoes today.....Does that count? :thumbsup_anim:

Ok just kiddin i diden't really...... :rolleyes: