If it got REALLY bad

Fishnwire

Sometimes I think I'd be better off that way LOL!

but the Wife and kids....mmmmm not so much.

Could I?

Yes....not concerned with it.

"Never be reliant on luxury"

Thats a lesson that was handed down from my Dad when growing up, and never have I forgotten it.

Its worth mentioning your biggest worry thats not been touched on in a social melt down scenario isn't finding food and warmth...its avoiding other people.

Panic brings out the worst in people.

DSCN2371.jpg

This is what heats my home. No oil or gas. Baseboard heaters as a back up. In Niagara I can heat the house with 12 faces over a year with the back up. As stated earlier, I am not so healthy any more. If you rely on wood alone here it would be 16 face cords and 2 for cooking. = 6 bush cords. If you fall behind you freeze. You need to be cutting 2 years ahead of use to ensure the wood is dry enough. In other words you are cutting all the time.

Because I am not well, I am behind and running short. The son has not understood the importance of staying ahead of the need. Now we are scrounging to get through to spring. Thank God for the back up heat.

By the way, wood heat is not free. It costs $250 per year to upkeep the saw and gas for cutting and hauling. It is cheap, but it can be hazardous. You will only make one mistake. Odds are it will be the last.

Roughing it over a year is a lot of work, and if you get it wrong you're dead.

Wow, lots of people are ready to convert back to nomads.Why? there's perfectly good farms why starve out in the bush.

In today's economics one is either born into farming, or one has real capital ( read rich) to put into buying and operating a viable farm. What's the current market price for a working farm in your area? What are the first year operating costs? Equipment costs, permits, quotas, etc... The FCC is not so easy to get money from any more.

How many families have lost their farms in Ontario since 2005. I can name 6 that I know personally.

In today's economics one is either born into farming, or one has real capital ( read rich) to put into buying and operating a viable farm. What's the current market price for a working farm in your area? What are the first year operating costs? Equipment costs, permits, quotas, etc... The FCC is not so easy to get money from any more.

How many families have lost their farms in Ontario since 2005. I can name 6 that I know personally.

Very true , I was getting more at if crap really hit the fan that you could possible know someone or work as hired help in order to feed your family instead of going off wondering through the forests gathering berries and eating rabbits,lol. This Post is really just for fun anyway things won't get that bad.

I have always thought I would like a simpler way of life... I spent alot of summers on my Grandparents farm as a kid (same ones that took me to Lake St. John) and I will remember those times till the day I die.. Hard work, a commitment to your livestock and co-operation!! Farm life is alot different then the ME ME ME attitude of the city... resources are shared, be it machinery to get the crops harvested (if you come and use your combine on my crop... I will till your earth)..... or use of the kill floor, and the manager/owner gets a few roasts... things are "different"

As for surviving in a total economic collapse? I think I would be ok... I am too stubborn..... Besides and I hate to say it I would do what I had to, to ensure that my family and I survive, and god help the person that tries to take something from me for which he did not earn honestly..

I think the important thing is to not be afraid of hardwork! Them Bay St. boys would be in for a eye opening that is for sure!

G

Having grown up in the city I must admit I lack practice in many of the skills needed to create a little homestead and survive in the bush. This is however a bit if a dream for me. As long as I can remember I've been heading on hikes, observing wildlife, fishing, and since i was old enough to head out on my own I've been back country camping. I know its no substitute for experience, but I've read countless books on survival and living off the land, it certainly is no cake walk, and you need to be prepared. I feel as though I could make do. It would take a lot of effort and hard work, but as long as you prioritize, improvise and make wise decisions you should have a decent shot at it (provided you have a little bush sense)

As for the survivorman vs bear grylis vs Ray Mears.... I agree that Ray Mears is great, but I also think Les Stroud is as well. Bear's show is a joke. He certainly has the skills and has the accomplishments to prove it, but his show demonstrates way too many high risk tasks when in survival situations. (plus go to youtube and search for bear grylis is a fraud and you will see).

as for survivorman, I always kinda wondered about his lack of food as well, but after having recently read his book I understand. He firmly believes that many people place way too much importance on food during the first portions of survival. He knows he can survive for several weeks without food, so he simply does not make it a priority since he knows he will only be there for a week. granted he knows he needs some energy for building/travelling, but in general finding food is lower on his priority list than non-experts might think it should be.

Also if you can find it watch the film Alone in the Wilderness. story about a fellow who built a cabin and lived off the land in alaska for the better part of 30 years. Only decided to leave when the winters were too hard on his 82 year old body. Incredible craftmanship in his cabin.

Very true , I was getting more at if crap really hit the fan that you could possible know someone or work as hired help in order to feed your family instead of going off wondering through the forests gathering berries and eating rabbits,lol. This Post is really just for fun anyway things won't get that bad.

I doubt that things will deteriorate to chaos. However, the history of the homesteaders still has great lessons for everyday people in tougher times. Those skill sets can still be valuable. So is the mind set. As someone else wisely pointed out. Survival is about meeting real need and putting aside, or ignoring, the less important wants and desires.

Few farmers, here, hire local folks to work for them. They bring in Latinos and West Indians instead. They are paid less, subsidized and fewer strings attached; and locals today are unwilling to work for farm wages. :wallbash:

For all you Paranoid Survivalist wannabes? Get this Book and make sure its by this guy the Author otherwise your getting a fake. We ( Us Winter Warfare Instructors use this book only as a Guide During our survival portion of the course) Why? In case your tent Burns down, your on a long Range Patrol you get lost or caught in a Storm, or shot down. We take it Serious.

I'm laughing at you guys because nobody's mentioned 90% survival is your attitude. Take away your cigarettes, being cold and hungry, I bet you most of you will be crying to MA MA LOL. But this is amusing.

Edited by holdfast

Try it for a weekend , see how you feel come Monday...

If you feel good you're good to go..

If only it were that easy...I've bush camped it for two months, 2 hours north of Schefferville Quebec back In October and November ,1992 ... I was burning Caribou crap to keep warm... in a old shack that was insulated with Caribou crap.. I was manning a flashtower and a Camp for Japanese tourists that could show up anyday... I had a plane come in once every 8 days to bring me supplies for one.

Wasn't much I'll tell ya. .the average supply trip contained , a can of Players tobacco and some rolling paper.. 2 loaves of bread.. 2l of semi fresh milk.Tang & 2l of Pepsi... margarine... 2 lb bacon & Eggs .. 10 gallons of fresh water, some baloney and wieners and beans. sounds like a good list for 8 days doesn't it?... Doesn't last very long even when rationed.... I lost 46 lbs In two months.

I was in pretty good shape then... betcha any money that I could probably not be able to do it today.

another 5 cents.

RFS

:canadian:

In the last depression population of Canada was 10 million and a large percentage were rural and a lot already lived off the land for some or all of their food. The lakes and fields/forests still had a lot of game to live off. We now are 30 million people mostly in urban areas and most without even a back yard garden. If it gets really bad, the cities will not be fun places to be, but neither will the bush. There just ain't that much bush meat left to go around. Nice to dream about finding a cabin on a lake full of trout that you could feed a family on off the grid, but:

a) if you know where that lake is can you let me know so I can check it out for you ahead of time

B) there are 29 odd million of us that will be looking for those places at the same time

Anyway, lets drop this post and will someone post a 55inch musky picture or something? This is getting really depressing.

About tens years ago I watched a TV show on two guys from Quebec that did the survival thing in the bush of northern Quebec. Both were experienced and educated. They had travelled by canoe on long treks as Voyagers. The guy literally threw a dart at a map and that is where they were dropped off. I remember the guy saying that as soon as the float plane left and he took a look around and felt that they were in trouble. There was none of the plants around like cattails that he planned eat. The black flies desended like demons. The two of them basically lived on blueberries for a month. When they were picked up at the end of the month they had each lost over 20 lbs. The doctor said that by the end of the summer they would have been dead.