If it got REALLY bad

Fishnwire

I think the one big advantage we would have now is the technology. Electricity for example; it wouldn't take me very long to build a wind powered generator just from parts I have laying around. Would it be enough to run the whole house? No but it would be enough to run some basic equipment.

Food; well there again, the things we have learned about preserving foods would go a long way toward making sure that we would have all the basics available, supplies wouldn't just vanish over night. I probably have enough food in this house to survive for three or more months without adding anything. True, I might run out of a few of the luxery items; Balderson cheese, fresh milk......

I am perhaps one of the lucky ones, I spent a good part of my younger life living up North, fishing, hunting, traping. I know how to make vinegar from birch sap, maple suryp from sugar maples, wine from berries and fruit, and where to look for colt's foot (for salt) and honey. I also have a very transferable trade, there will alwways be someone needing things fixed and I do have a very high mechanical aptitude. There isn't much I can't fix or make if I have to.

To think that we would all of a sudden be transported back to the days of the pioneers and forced to survive with our hands, wits, and a couple of basic tools doesn't make much sense but if you enjoy dreaming about what you could/would do then why not. :canadian:

In the last depression population of Canada was 10 million and a large percentage were rural and a lot already lived off the land for some or all of their food. The lakes and fields/forests still had a lot of game to live off. We now are 30 million people mostly in urban areas and most without even a back yard garden. If it gets really bad, the cities will not be fun places to be, but neither will the bush. There just ain't that much bush meat left to go around. Nice to dream about finding a cabin on a lake full of trout that you could feed a family on off the grid, but:

a) if you know where that lake is can you let me know so I can check it out for you ahead of time

B) there are 29 odd million of us that will be looking for those places at the same time

Anyway, lets drop this post and will someone post a 55inch musky picture or something? This is getting really depressing.

I hear someone caught a new record pike!! LOL.