Temagami - 6 days.

irishfield

Been trying to get to the lake for a couple weeks. Too darn cold a week back at -40C and lower, so we picked the past weekend to head up and then of course the weatherman changed the forecast! -32C mornings :wallbash: Last time I got Leah to go up in the winter (2007) we sat inside and stared out into the cold. This time I thought if we had another couple up with us the initiative would be there to get out and enjoy what Mother Nature provides.

Now what couple has a sled and their own gear I thought.... well that Tybo and Joey couple seemed to fit the bill perfectly and they both were able to get some time off work to do so.

Leah and I headed up first thing Thursday morning... well it was supposed to be first thing, but we all know how that goes! lol I need to get a trailer or a bigger truck.. or start ditching stuff.

jan09tem1.jpg

Arrived in Temagami mid afternoon, got to the camp and got the woodstove fired up and the power turned on... then went to town for provisions while the place heated up. Had a good supper and watched a beautiful sunset.

jan09tem2.jpg

Puttered around on Friday waiting for these two to arrive! We should have got out and fished... but hell, we sat around inside and caught up from our last yak fest in June!

jan09tem3.jpg

At this point Leah's already had enough of Tybo's yaking! :D Actually don't know why the looks... probably both thinking where they're gonna stick the camera! :w00t:

jan09tem4.jpg

Saturday morning came and it was -31C :o .... so we took our time.. Paul and I went for minnows ....1 dozen for me 2 for Paul. When counting them later I had about 55 and Paul probably a 100. Including a $3 BBQ lighter and taxes these cost us a total of $12.53 at "Dad's"!!!

Finally hitting the lake about 11am! lol

jan09tem5.jpg

Still -24C... but the gals are in good spirits!

jan09tem6.jpg

We went a good 6 miles up the NE Arm and drilled some holes where the lads and I had some good luck last year for Whities. Joey in out of the wind and Paul on the ice.

jan09tem7.jpg

"You want me to show you what"... damn it's cold ! Get that darn heater going!!

jan09tem8.jpg

Had no luck there and decided to move a few thousand feet. Joey got one nice little laker... but they're OOS so no pics to show of it unfortunately. Released just fine.

Sunset came and we packed up and headed back down the lake. Stoked the fire and got our cores warmed back up before going for the best Chinese food in Ontario.

jan09tem9.jpg

jan09tema.jpg

Sunday AM... or was it PM lol.. we headed up the lake again. Sunday AM was -33C so we weren't in a rush! Took us to a spot I'd never fished...but it looked "right" for Whities. We got set up.. holes drilled and I told Paul I was done being a good host and waiting for him to catch a fish. Told him he had 10 minutes or we'd go ahead and catch some ourselves!! 4 minutes later... FISH ON! But not what we expected out of 72 FOW.

jan09temb.jpg

jan09temc.jpg

"Yah.. that sun's nice..... but can we close this sucker up and turn on the heat!" lol What a trooper!!

jan09temd.jpg

jan09teme.jpg

Joey's turn again for fish on. She out fished the three of us... and note she uses no electronics... just old school jiggin.

jan09temf.jpg

What can this one be...... a Ling !

jan09temg.jpg

So Leah's off yaking with Paul and her line goes ding... ding... I yelled she had a fish biting and grabbed the rod and handed it over to her. What a fight and who knows what this one was going to be. Paul came over to grab it so I grabbed the camera and got this shot coming thru the hole.

jan09temh.jpg

Beauty laker that again released just fine!

jan09temi.jpg

Joey's turn again... and again a Pickeral out of 72 FOW. DOA... but thankfully below the slot size so table fare!

jan09temj.jpg

Then just before sunset it was my turn....again in 72 FOW. I had my spoon 7 feet off bottom and watched this guy shoot up from bottom on the Lowrance and nail the hook!

jan09temk.jpg

A shot inside the hut to show our set up and the roominess of the Frabil Trekker.

jan09teml.jpg

Joey and Paul's Pickeral had blue slim on them!

jan09temm.jpg

Was a tad warmer Monday morning! :)

jan09temn.jpg

And even with that Paul still needs to buy a Ford if he wants to live in the North! :lol::lol: Damn GMC's !! Rurr.. Ruurrrr ... Rurrrrr... Click... click... lol

Once we got that little problem running..... Paul and Joey decided to load up and hit the road vs fishing part of the day. Probably a good plan considering their delays on the way home.

Leah and I were staying one more night and then our neighbours on the next island came home after 2 weeks away. Tuesday I spent shovelling off the entire cottage roof to negate the ice damns and then the neighbours begged us to stay another day and Doug and I went out Wednesday for a couple of hours. About 15 minutes into our outing... I got what we were after all weekend. A small Whitefish.

jan09temo.jpg

We got nothing after that so headed back to the cottage and started packing up. Loaded the sled etc and got on the road around 5PM. Drive was miserable... thru Powassan too late to visit Bernie... stuck behind the plows for almost an hour North of Orillia and finally home just before 10PM.

A great weekend away.... with a great couple to share laughs with.

Edited by irishfield

great report, man you folks are spoiled with all the toys out there, you where certainly rigged up to go get them that day. Nice mixed bag of fish and by some of the smiles, looks like some great company was had to boot, doesn't get much betetr than that.

Great way to make the most of the winter :Gonefishing:

Finally!!!!! :lol:

Super report Wayne. We had a really great time. Maybe next time we're invited the mercury will be on the other side of 0 :thumbsup_anim:

I'm glad you finally got a whitey. Hope you marked that spot on your GPS.

Glad you made it home safe and sound and thanks again for having us and for posting the pics.

Joey

p.s. Can you get Leah to send me that cheater cabbage roll recipe :thumbsup_anim:

Got to love that fireplace wall just awesome!

Cheers!

THANKS! Sometimes amaze myself what you can do when you set your mind to something. Learned to split rock... learned to put it on a wall.. and learned never to do it again! :D

If you look hard... we even keep marshmellows close by! :D

Edited by irishfield

Paul the yaker ?????

Boy isn't that the pot calling the kettle black

Great recount of the events, Wayne, and nice photos too. All youse got some determination to actually venture out at -30C, that is chilly. Paul and Joey is doing a right some fine tour, laughs and fish.

The blue slim was only on their two.. and not on mine. Now theirs flash froze on the ice while mine was inside my minnow cooler 'till we got back. Not sure if that sets something off with the slim colour or if these are indeed "extinct" blue pickeral !