All tied up!

SlowPoke

I didn't get a chance to go fishing Friday with Mike but I did get a chance to play with my tackle! :whistle:

I wanted to start making tackle and one of the techniques I'd need to master would be dressing trebles. I took the plunge and bought a vice, shaved the neighbours cat and tried my hand at tying.

My initial attempts were suitable for backup trebles in the event I had to cut one off while fishing at night in very murky water for blind fish. Sunsequent efforts saw some improvement but I knew it was time to call on a team of experts.

I enrolled in a fly tying course at Jay's Fly Fishing in London. I was tipped off about Jay's when vise shopping and paid them a visit. Super nice crew at Jay's and I was looking forward to the tying course.

There were 5 or 6 students with varying degrees of experience and 2 instructors with lots of vise time under their belts. It was nice to be in a small 'class' and we moved along at a good pace.

Jay performing a magic trick.

DSC02372.jpg

Some of the graduating class

DSC02371.jpg

My first ever fly "Woolly Bugger"

DSC02370.jpg

and then the "Gold Ribbed Hares Ear"

DSC02374.jpg

followed by the "Elk Hair Caddis" (my favourite)

DSC02377.jpg

and then the "Black Nose Dace"

DSC02379.jpg

and finally, the "Usual"

DSC02381.jpg

I don't think I'll ever end up trying these flies but they were fun to learn. Once I got home with a few supplies, I decided to put my new techniques to work.

DSC02384.jpg

DSC02386.jpg

A lot yet to learn and many more hours of practice to come.

-Brian

Looks good to me Brian.

Are the last 2 pic's something you are going to use on a jerkbait as the last hook? it's hard to tell the size from the pic how big they are...

Thanks.

The trebles are 1/0. I don't really have anything in mind for them yet, just practicing.

Lookin' Good!!

Glad to hear you went to visit Jay & Stu for a lesson.

There is also the Forest City Fly Fishing Club.

During the winter they have a mentoring program and give free tying lessons to members then as spring approaches they turn to casting lessons and group outings.

Best part is that a few of the local shops, like Jay's, will give members a discount so you can basically get the membership fee back and then some depending on how much material you buy in a year.

http://www.fcfc.ca

If you ever want someone to tie with let me know.

Nice job on your first flies You Wooley-bugger looks as good as any professionally tied Wooley-bugger.

I started tying flies,not for actual fly-fishing, but on jig heads to make 'jig-flies'. (supposedly a 'Canadian' thing) If you tie that Wooley-bugger onto on of GCD's jigheads, you'll have a great smallmouth bait. Same with your 'usual'. Except, I would add a marabou type tail to it. A cheap (but very good) variation of Ian James' infamous 'White Puke' pattern. :canadian:

Slow poke,

Looks good to me. Tying flies is a great hobby. Once you find certain patterns that suit your style of fishing ,you will really perfect the art. Try not waisting time on patterns that dont work. Nothing beats the feeling of catching fish on a pattern that you tied, or better yet, a pattern that you created. Stick with it. You can only get better.

Thanks for all the great comments! I'm really looking forward to trying some creations out this year... the flies might have to wait however.

If you ever want someone to tie with let me know.

I might take you up on that. Seeing it first hand made the learning process much easier than watching youtube videos.

Now we just got to get you out fly fishing with those beauty patterns......

I don't know about fly fishing but we'll have to hit the river this year for sure! I threw one together with that big boulder in mind - you know the one. Pink was the right colour but that biggun spit the Senko back at me. Maybe this jig will keep it on longer.

DSC02398.jpg

Nice job on your first flies You Wooley-bugger looks as good as any professionally tied Wooley-bugger.

I started tying flies,not for actual fly-fishing, but on jig heads to make 'jig-flies'. (supposedly a 'Canadian' thing) If you tie that Wooley-bugger onto on of GCD's jigheads, you'll have a great smallmouth bait. Same with your 'usual'. Except, I would add a marabou type tail to it. A cheap (but very good) variation of Ian James' infamous 'White Puke' pattern. :canadian:

Wow, thanks!

I thought about dressing a jig with hackle and marabou; I have some in my box with chenille and marabou and thought the hackle instead of chenille would look really cool! I'm glad to know it's effective. I'll try that once I stock up on more supplies. At this point all I have is synthetic hair, bucktails, angel hair and flash. Oh, and a pouch of malamute hair - used that on the pink jig for dubbing/bulk.

-Brian

Nice work there Brian .

Making yer own and catching with,is so very overcoming.

When I started making my own version of the simcoe bug,and caught fish,it was so exciting.

It was like holly c rap man, they love it.

You be surprised what colours work.

I was gonna say something sharp and mean and insult your masculinity for tying flies but,dude they look pretty good!Yer not gonna turn into a pinhead steel header are you?I mean a center pin steelheader..I think,or is that a flyrod elitest..I dunno.Maybe we are just fisherman.Looks good on ya bud.

Joe

Looks great brian !!! :whistling::clapping: put a few of them trebles on your challenger bait for the bay of quinte man,im sure the walleyes will be quite willing to co-operate !!!! many guys swear by using dressed trebles on their crankbaits,well look at the rapala x-raps,they have dressed hooks and we all know that they work amazing !!! cheers bud :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Nice work Brian.What do think maybe some salmon trolling

That's the plan Stan. I bought a tube fly mandrel and I need a few more supplies before I 'tackle' the procedure!

I was gonna say something sharp and mean and insult your masculinity for tying flies but,dude they look pretty good!

Lay it on me Joe, I have big padded shoulders, I can take it!

Looks great brian !!! put a few of them trebles on your challenger bait for the bay of quinte man,im sure the walleyes will be quite willing to co-operate !!!!

I hadn't thought about the Challengers until you mentioned it but in thinking it through... I wonder if the dressed treble would slow down the action of the bait. Added drag on the treble straightening out the body?

Thanks again for the kind remarks!

Some more pic's...

I love this one!

DSC02403.jpg

DSC02406.jpg

Too much thread

DSC02408.jpg

DSC02418.jpg

DSC02419.jpg

DSC02420.jpg

DSC02421.jpg

DSC02422.jpg

This one was a blast to make. It was my Daughters design and she stood over my shoulder wringing her hands in anticipation. She's such a cutie!

DSC02412.jpg

And a few trebles...

DSC02415.jpg

DSC02414.jpg

DSC02405.jpg

I'm having a blast with this!!! I can't wait to start tying feathers.

-Brian

Edited by SlowPoke