Rosseau Laker report

johnnyb

The lovely Laker Jessy decided that not only did I need to brush up on my ice-fishing skills if I’m going to be of any competition to her this winter, but that I should also have a “guy’s weekend”. So this past Saturday night, my cousin Bert (on the board as Bicephalic) and I headed up to Muskoka for some Lake Rosseau trout action. It was, in fact, his first time ice-fishing, and we had been looking forward to getting out there for quite a while.

I tried not to talk up my spot too much…really didn’t want to jinx anything. We stopped for bait on the way up, and ended up with an absolute gob of minnows, that was deemed to be one dozen…not bad for $5, so I figured it was a good sign.

n595006200_2395783_3050.jpg

Sunday morning had us walking out to a spot I’ve always done well at…and up to our knees in snow. Made it past one slushy spot, which is almost always a bit slushy…then found our way into some really nasty stuff. Thank goodness Bert’s boots were waterproof all the way up…mine on the other hand were letting a bit of water in over the top of the rubber section. We found hard ice, popped a few holes, and my feet seemed to be staying warm enough. Bert set to cleaning the holes, which were welling up like springs! <_<

n595006200_2395667_7956.jpg

After losing only one fish and landing none, we started exploring, looking for some more firm ice. Getting around a point and into the wind, we found some solid stuff and drilled a few holes. His first time out, and Bert’s already figuring out clever ways to block the wind! :thumbsup_anim:

n595006200_2395669_8553.jpg

Don’t know if it was that we found the right colour, after switching lures frequently, but just around lunch time, Bert nailed his first laker ever – a solid 21 incher! PB!!! :clapping:

n595006200_2395670_8861.jpg

n595006200_2395673_9750.jpg

Not long after, I narrowly missed becoming a statistic when I saw my rod getting pulled toward the hole – dove for it just in time and hung on to reel in a 23 incher…but forgot my Tourney sign – d’oh! :wallbash: No worries...I'll get a bigger one next time.

n595006200_2395672_9451.jpg

After that, the action quieted down, and by about 5:00 we decided to get off the ice.

n595006200_2395718_948.jpg

We slugged our way back home through even more slush, and had the joy of discovering what sticky wet snow does to a jetsled loaded with too much crap! The upside was we burned enough calories to justify another Angus burger on the way home. :stretcher:

Speaking of calories, the gory pic that follows is what was inside the fish I brought in…by my estimation a herring that was ¾ as long as the trout, plus a smallmouth fry and another shiner. Now where did I put my Musky tubes?...

n595006200_2395766_8393.jpg

great job

not really surprised at the contents of its belly. lakers are a top predator and winter is their 'time' - comfortable temps for them throughout the water column. they'll eat stuff from tiny crustaceans to smaller game fish. whateaver's available.

I once took 12 1/2 in of back bones out of the gut of a 27 in lake trout, no head and no tail, just spine bones. That means that the 2 ft laker ate a fish about 16 in long. All at once too also. Nom nom nom. The cutest lil top predators under the hardwater, they is.

And solopaddler, when it comes to The Mandarin, just say no, never again, no good reason, I know I'll feel like crap afterward, done it before, no need for a repeat. Stop the madness already, as it were.

Hope this hleps.

Edited by douG

Unbelievable :o Talk about gorging. I knew they ate alot at this time but I am surprised they would eat such a large fish for their size. Well ya learn something new everyday doncha :thumbsup_anim:

Great report.

Joey

Gorging,

O.k. I'll restrain myself.

But I am with you here Joey. I had no idea :dunno:

I quit reading this report the very instant I realized that the lovely LJ wasn't going to be in it!!! :angry:

No worries...I'll get a bigger one next time.

Not with that kind of attitude you won't!!! :w00t:

That was just an ok report compared to the ones with LJ kickin' yer butt in the fish dept!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing::canadian:

;)

I quit reading this report the very instant I realized that the lovely LJ wasn't going to be in it!!! :angry:

Hey now - just because I'm not sprawled on the bow of a boat in a bikini is no reason to discriminate! :) Next time I'll fish with no shirt on, so it's a more 'natural' experience for you :thumbsup_anim:

Now with that outta the way -

Thanks again John - I'm already re-arranging my gear for the next outing <G>

A few more pics from the day:

Copy_of_ice_fishing_january_2009_004.jpg

Something I've learned is a potentially bad habit:

Copy_of_ice_fishing_january_2009_010.jpg

Post fish - Mark 'the spot'!

Copy_of_ice_fishing_january_2009_001.jpg

Bert nailed his first laker ever – a solid 21 incher! PB!!! :clapping:

That's what I love about your first time hooking into a species - it's ALWAYS the PB :)

Edited by Bicephalic

Awesome report! I love checking out the fish's stomach to see what they've been munching on. Gotta say Im pretty surprised by that fish's content. Hard to believe it was hungry for your lure too.

When I was in Quebec fishing for lakers last spring the bite was really slow. When we opened the stomachs of the ones we caught, they were absolutely jammed with fly larvae. I think they were black fly, from what I understand black fly larva hatch on bottom then float to the surface in a small air bubble? can anyone confirm or deny this?

Great report and pics johnnyb :thumbsup_anim:

Sweet deal on the dozen of minnows.... can't go wrong with that :w00t:

Congratulations to Bert on his first and PB :clapping:

Like others said, amazing that she still wanted more :w00t:

Good job you guys and thanks for sharing

Leechman