Pesky Pesky Walleye

Rizzo

The past 2 years I have caught an unusually high number of good size walleye while musky fishing. I'm talking 6 pound plus fish caught on big baits fished at a pretty good speed (hint to those who want walleye...speed up and get some bigger baits!). Last year I caught a real beauty on Head Lake on a suick, and a giant on Balsam on a 9 inch sledge. I think this next fish is the biggest one yet, and it hit the biggest bait yet. Caught this one in the Trent Severn system last week under bluebird skies in the middle of the day. It was caught in 30 feet of water while I was trolling a deep diving 12 inch custom musky bait made by OFC'er Robin (who I haven't heard from lately unfortunately). No offense, but these fish must taste REALLY good because I can't see anyone targetting them for the fight! It measured in at 28.5 inches in length and a girth of 15 inches. I generally don't weigh fish because I like to get them back in the water as soon as possible, but if anyone has a thought on the weight of this fish please post it here (and then I will give you the co-ordinates of where it was caught) :thumbsup_anim:

med_gallery_130_97_102380.jpg

That fish i would guess 8.5 to 9.5 lbs. Real nice fish for that type of water.

For comparison, caught this walleye in Kawarthas over 10 yrs. ago. It was 30 inches.

It gave the fight of its life. Quick picture, then when releasing it was dead.

Kept it therefore and it was 9.25 lbs.

F1000007.jpg

You caught a nice, rare walleye for up there.

i got this one on thanksgiving trolling a 9" grandma. thought i had weeds. nope.. just a wetsox. :D

walleye1.jpg

i will see if i can find the pic of one JP caught throwing a big bobbie bait in 5' of weedy water. it was a hog too.

Edited by Raf

Beautiful fish Roger, infact far bigger than normal for the Kawarthas. It's always interesting when you latch onto something your not expecting.

On the other end of the scale, here's a little dink that wasn't paying too much attention to what he was grabbing onto :lol:

Cnv0603.jpg