Mercer Magic!!

bpsbassman

People are always asking me why I would drive 100 kms to work at Bass Pro on weekends. The following story might help explain it.

I was working at Bass Pro a couple of weeks ago and I met this really cool customer. His name is Jacob, he is almost 8 years old and his Mom told me that he suffers from severe autism, and that he goes through aggressive therapy through the week. The two of them had discovered fishing together a few weeks previous and it had done miracles for Jacob. It took him to a much better place. Jacob was already quite knowledgeable and took a keen interest in everything I was showing him.

I told them about Dave Mercer coming to the store on the 13th and that Jacob would really enjoy meeting him. I contacted Dave and George Wallace (BPS Promotion Manager) and they arranged to meet Jacob in George's Office before Dave did his presentation.

I met Jacob and his Mom in the store on the 13th and what followed was truly magical! I first introduced them to George who was busy outside Bar-B-Qing hotdogs for Ducks Unlimited.

DaveGeorgeBassProshop.jpg

George dropped everything and led Jacob all over the store gathering goodies

JacobGeorgeLureShopping.jpg

By the time he was done, Big Dave was in his office waiting to meet Jacob and sign all the gathered paraphernalia. As you all know, Dave is awesome with all kids, but he was exceptional with Jacob. I really can't describe the feelings I had at that time, watching all this magic happening.

DaveMercerJacob.jpg

JacobDaveMercerintheOffice.jpg

Jacob-Dave-George-Roger.jpg

Later on he met Dave Chong and Chonger spent a ton of time talking and listening to Jacob.

JacobDaveChong.jpg

VeryCoolDaveChong.jpg

This one says it all

JacobLookingUpatDaveMercer.jpg

His Mother says that she found light coming from under Jacob's bedroom door after he had gone to bed that night. He had his shirt, hat, lures, Dave "Bobble Head" and all his other new found treasures all lined up on his bed and had his new LED hat light illuminating them in the dark.

The fishing industry is blessed to have people like the 2 Daves (Mercer and Chong).

DaveMercerDaveChong.jpg

I witnessed something truly magical this weekend.

What also impressed me was the length George Wallace went to ensure Jacob had a truly wonderful day. I see Bass Pro continually getting trashed on this site and I find it particularly frustrating when I know of all the good works that BPS continually performs and so often done under the radar, not doing it for the publicity but because "Its the right thing to do"

It wasn't only Jacob that was the beneficiary of all this attention. I also saw the joy in his Mother's eyes as she was capturing these beautiful pictures through the lens of her camera. She was obviously getting as much out of this new experience as Jacob was and was truly overwhelmed. She is as brave as Jacob in dealing with the day to day challenges that were being masked by this magical moment.

Combine that with meeting great customers like all the OFNers I meet and a fabulous team of co-workers in the Fishing Dept. and you might get an idea of what makes it all worthwhile!

Kind of helps explain what makes that 100 km drive a non-event.

JacobsFish2008.jpg

Kind of helps explain what makes that 100 km drive a non-event.

And I thought it was for the 'staff discount' ;)

That was a great post Roger and another example of how a little time and effort from our lives can make a memory of a lifetime for someone else.

-Brian

Roger, as always you go above and beyond. As I read the story and viewed the images, I felt my eyes starting to fog over (damn allergies :rolleyes:)

What a wonderful experience for Jacob. I know that BPS likes to stay below the radar, and this renews my faith in big business :clapping: .

Thank you for sharing

just JOHN