Right Or Left Hand Retrieve Question.

Joey

We are having a discussion at the Tybo/Joey homestead tonight about right and left handed retrieval. If I am right handed, and cast with my right hand with my baitcaster, should I retrieve (reel in) with my left hand, or should I change hands with my rod and then retrieve with my right hand????

I would like to see what everyone else has to say before I admit to what I do and what "what's his name" does :lol::rolleyes:

Thanks for the input.

Joey

Well Joey...as you WELL KNOW, I'm left handed. I cast with my right hand and reel with my left hand. I have some right hand baitcasters but I prefer the lefties. It's really a question of personal choice.

im righty and reel left, it was weird to me at first, but got use to it. I think if u toss lures that fall fast and get hits during fall, by makin the switch u could miss a hit. Other lures that float or sink reall slow are fine for switching. I cast right and switch to left reel.

Another point u could consider is if ur battling a trophy fish, which hand would ya want holding the rod? Strongest right? Hope this helps.

It all comes down to comfort.

One pro to switching hands is that you don't fatigue your casting arm by winching in water resistant lures or fighting large powerful fish. A tired arm will not perform to the same extent as a moderately used one. When you've got one chance to, for example, cast a seagull sized deceiver fly to a rapidly moving trophy tarpon on the flats, accurate and precise casting is critical - Imagine what your arm would be like after catching 3-4 of those beasts prior.

I am right handed and cast with my right and reel with my left on both baitcasters and spinning reels. I originally used an old Abu Garcia right hand retrieve baitcaster, but that is because left retrieves were not available when I got my first one. I got used to it, but it was never comfortable.

When I tried a left handed model years later, it was natural and I never switched back to a right.. although I can use both now. Whatever you feel most comfortable with casting and retrieving should be your choice.

Good fishing!

Aaron

I think the key is in the casting and rod control (and not having to switch hands)... I am a lefty and reel with my right hand ... while I can certainly cast and fight fish in my right hand ... I am definitely more comfortable with my left .... so a 'left handed' reel to me is for right handed people ... much like a 'shoot left' hockey stick, or 'left' handed golf clubs are for right handed players (although some will argue that one too .. but thats another thread)

just my 2cents

Ha ha Camillj...I'm right handed. Use both left and right hand baitcasters like Jamie and I golf right and play hockey left..figure that one out!

....Same here Wayne, golf right, hockey left. I'm comfortable fishing and reeling with either hand. :)

I cast both spinning and baitcasters with my right and reel with my left. My deep sea equipment is right hand retrieve, but I don't cast that... just drop a 16 oz. hunk of lead with 1-2 lb baitfish straight down to the bottom. I shoot left handed because my left eye is better than my right.

Glen

If I am right handed, and cast with my right hand with my baitcaster, should I retrieve (reel in) with my left hand, or should I change hands with my rod and then retrieve with my right hand????

Joey

Joey, there ISN'T a right or wrong way to do it, just use whatever hand you feel most comfortable with. When you buy the new reel to match your St. Croix, try out both left & right hand retrieves, then buy whichever feels best to YOU.

I'm right handed and I cast everything righthanded, and with baitcasters I switch the rod to my left hand and crank with my right, but with spinning, I crank with my left.

Don't ever let anybody tell you your doing it wrong, because there's no such thing as a wrong way.

I'm right handed. Cast with my right and reel with the left. No changing of hands. My wife is also right handed but she casts with the right, then changes hands to reel with her right. Tried to get her to switch so that she doesn't have to keep changing hands, but that didn't go very well.

Spinning rod - cast right/retrieve right (swap hands)

Casting rod - cast right or left/retrieve right hand

-----

Hockey - left hand

Golf - left hand

Baseball - bat left/catch left hand

Tennis - right hand

Table Tennis - right hand

Flush at home - left hand

Flush in public washroom - left foot

Ha ha Camillj...I'm right handed. Use both left and right hand baitcasters like Jamie and I golf right and play hockey left..figure that one out!

Okay...everyone knows I'm strange...that was easy!

....Same here Wayne, golf right, hockey left. I'm comfortable fishing and reeling with either hand. :)

Actually ... makes perfect sense to me ... and I think the marketers are who got everyone all confused .... if they called them 'right handed reels' because they are inteded for use by right handed people ... not because you crank with your right hand .. everyone would get it !

Wayne and spiel ... too bad about the golf :) .... this normally happened because folks couldnt get their hands on left handed clubs (except at a $$$ premium) so they learnt on right handed clubs .... not that it cant be done .... but the same 'muscle memory' that makes for a good shot in hockey (back, legs, shoulders, arms, hands - all working together) is the same one for golf .... just your hands are a little closer together and the ball isnt moving when you swing at it :) .... if you play left in hockey ... youll probably play better left in golf ...

Anyhow as Lew said ... the key is to be comfortable - FOR YOU .... and there are plenty of folks who have learnt to 'switch hit' - some equally as good on either side ... but thats probably another thread (maybe even on another forum ;)

Heck I can use a pair of right handed scissors ....and by the way thats the ONE product I know of where the name is accurate ... dont think we have ever owned a pair of left handed scissors because NOBODY but me would be able to use them in my house :) ... hey wait a minute .. maybe thats the secret to always being able to find the scissors :) :) :)

Edited by camillj

Well thanks so much everyone. I appreciate the responses. I've always casted right hand, retrieved left, but the Abu Garcia 6600 D5 Bait Casting Reel I got for my St. Croix rod only has right hand retrieve, so I was a little worried after Paul bought it for me. But it appears that right hand retrieve can be done (that's what he does and he thought I did too), I'll just have to get used to it :thumbsup_anim:

Great info everyone, except for you freaks who golf right, play hockey left :lol::lol::D , and of course, the flushing thing Slowpoke :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Joey