Bean soup

HTHM

So the much anticipated weekend has arrived......I'm goin' up to the kawarthas to meet and greet some fellow OFC'ers. Big Cliff is first on the list. He sends me detailed directions....I have a GPS. Need I say more? Yes I do. I plug his address into the GPS, it finds it no problem at all. So up the 115\35 I go. I recall that I need to drive to the first light, la de da de da, I drive PAST the exit for 35 to Lindsay 'cause there is no light to be seen as of yet. When I get to the 7a exit I'm thinkin' (a rare thing for me), I didn't think I needed to drive all the way to Peterborough.....This is at 6:30 in the morning, Cliff said that he is up at 5 am every morning so I reluctantly decide to call. I wake up his wife, (an incredibly warm woman BTW), and she gets out of bed and goes to the top of the driveway into the shop and lets Cliff know that I need directions. (All of this time my GPS is telling me that I need to go back, but, NOOOOOOOO I know better because I remember the directions that Cliff gave me. Well to make a long story shorter, I managed to find his home, (nestled right on the shore of Sturgeon lake), and sat down to a coffee, while waiting for Beans, my fishing partner for the day. We laughed about my misadventures on the way up, and put that down to experience.

Beans arrives, introductions are made, equipment compared, anticipation of a good day is in the air. The downpour had stopped, the sun was out, life is GOOD! So, off to the launch we go, the launch went smoothly, Beans is in my, (yet to be slimed), boat, with no trouble at all. I park the van and trailer, make my way to the boat, fire her up and help Beans into the dodge van captian's chair that I had mounted on the front bench seat of my 14' narrow beam boat. Now, a word about Beans.....Besides being one of the nicest and most worthy of respect men that I have had the pleasure of meeting, he is also an very experienced fisherman. He's gotta have 30+ years of experience on me. As well, he is a large man, in heart and goodnature as well as girth.

OK here is the situation, an older, robust man sitting on a seat that is elevated 8 inches above the gunwales supported by a 10" circular base fastened to a fiberglass bench seat . The base is 12" high. Nothing wrong with that picture, right?

So here we are on the lake; Beans has pulled in two perch, I am still waiting to get a bite. I ask Beans how he likes the seat, "It is very comfortable" he says. I am curious as this is the shakedown cruise with the new seat. I believe him and envy him as it does look very comfy. Beans leans back as he says this, and to my abject, unaldulterated, complete HORROR! he continues to lean back and back and into the drink he goes! I still have a vivid mental image of Beans' head entering the water, he completley upside down, still seated in the chair, legs kicking vainly in the air for some type of purchase, with a look of absolute shock and surprise etched into his face.

Now at this moment in time I am thinking that I have killed him, he is going to drown, and it is my fault. So I do what any reasonable man would do, I panic. Thankfully he does not. Beans makes his way to the surface clutches at the side of the boat, and says something to the effect of " That was interesting", and I am thinking how the *(*%*)%((*#$%# am I gonna get him back in??????!!!!!

Fortunatly there are two men nearby in a bass boat, I call them over and they CALMLY get us cooled off, well Beans was already cool, he was IN the water after all, and get Beans into a life jacket, haul him into their boat, and transfer him back to mine. They were the true heros of the situation, regretably we did not get their names.

(So if you recognize this situation, and lurk the board, THANK YOU!!!!!!) If you are members here, stand and be counted.

During all of this Beans is concerned for me, because he can see the huge impact that this has had on me. I am not doing well....

Need less to say, that was the end of the outing.

Beans I owe you an apology, and thank you very much for your freindship that was offered despite my attempt on your life.

Cliff I appreciate the sage advice given after this incident, and will take it to heart.

So, do I need to say anything about ALWAYS wearing your PFD????

More about the weekend tomorrow and meeting some more OFC'ers

Oh my...lol...I just got the giggles reading that...what a day...Beans are you ok? Honestly...please don't find this rude of me but that just has me in stitches. You wrote that so well Hometown.

:w00t::lol::clapping:

Despite how comical that struck me...I am happy and relieved as I am sure you both are that all worked out well.

Edited by twilight

Beans makes his way to the surface clutches at the side of the boat, and says something to the effect of " That was interesting",

WOW, there's the understatement of the year :thumbsup_anim:

I've had the pleasure of fishing with Beans a few times myself and we always had a great time together.......course I always kept him INSIDE the boat :lol::Gonefishing:

Good to hear everything turned out good for you boyz and the story had a happy ending.

Ya can't get rid of me that easy !!!

And here I was worried about maybe only being able to put in four hours before my back started to give me grief...

That's OK Willow...I found it quite humerous too...after all, nobody was hurt or dead (namely me)...I was feeling sorry for poor Albert as he was more shook-up than I was but,after a long talk at my place later he seemed in better spirits and I will admit that chair was very comfortable...just needs better support...glad to have tested it for you pal...

I think my parting words to Albert were "next time we will fish from shore"...

Seriously, I would like to thank the two guys that pulled me into their bassboat and the father and son in another boat that came over to help and retrieved the seat and my OFC cap...

Go ahead...ask...was the water cold ???

YES !...DAMN COLD !!!

Edited by Beans

Interesting read.

This should be mentioned to all the boaters who are posting their modified 14 footer tin boats with floors and pedestal seats. 2 weeks ago I mentioned to one poster that it appeared that the high center of gravity might be a safety issue, but my concern was quickly dismissed. Those small boats would need a lead keel to keep them upright.

You failed to tell Beans that you installed a seat ejection system into it. A guest starts to catch more fish :Gonefishing: than you and you hit the :w00t: ejection button! :thumbsup_anim: That'll teach him a lesson! LOL

Good read and I'm glad to hear no one was injured except for some embarrassment. :oops:

After Laughing for just a minute I certainly felt bad for you hthm... OMG I would have just been devastated.

Sounds like Beans took it all very well and you had some amazing people around you to help out.

OFC'ers and boaters in general sure are a wonderful bunch.

Can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

Cheers,

jen

"

So the story continues........

After the long talk with Beans, I was off to Garry2r's. Finding his place was as easy as pie. I listened to my GPS this time :wallbash: Arriving there Garry is at the side of the road, having just pulled in from a day of fishing. The usual introductions and social niceties take place, and then the education begins. I brought out my tackle bag and Garry goes through it, at my request, and tells me what each and every lure and false bait is and how it should be used.

I think if I retain even 10% of what he explained to me, my fishing success will improve 200%. I have to explain that he was lecturing for at least an hour and a half, and did not have very much repeated information. This man is amazing in his knowledge of angling and angling techniques, however that aspect of him is overshadowed by his warmth and hospitality.

We of course shared the story of Beans ending up as crayfish bait, :oops: and his rescue :clapping::thumbsup_anim: I still did not see the humour in the situation, as clearly as he and Beans did, however Garry helped me to come around on that point as well.

Then two other people showed up, Muskie Striker aka Andy k, (a former member of the board) and a friend. Well the conversation started to flow, increased to a current, and then increased to a raging rapid. We laughed and sang and had a wonderful time together. Around 2 am we finally got to bed with promises of a 6 am rise time........

So at 10 the next morning, after a leisurely breakfast, we are off to the lake. We will call it lake "F" ' because I forget the name. Garry and I have a good launch, he teaches me some very good procedures to follow and we are off. I have never been in a bass boat before and this is a BASS boat! 150 hp on the back and man did this thing fly! But that is not the best part, the best part is when we are using it as a casting platform. Being used to 14' narrow beam boats I was amazed at how stable this boat was in the water. I had no problem standing and casting, try that in a 14'er.

Then the education continued, Garry taught me what to look for in terms of STRUCTURE and COVER, and the difference between them. The day was overcast, windy and cool, due to that the bite was not the best, however I did manage two OOS bass, and Garry pulled in a 14" hammerhead in 3.5 hours of fishing.

Being new to using a bait caster Garry gave me a few tips and off we went. By the end of the day, my backlash rate had improved 300% and I was casting without any brake, into and with the wind.

As we all know, there is always a price to be paid for lessons learned and knowledge acquired, my price was a brand new perch pattern deep rapala. So if you are ever in the north Kawarthas and you find this lure, I want you to enjoy using it.

So here we are, I meet three members of the board for the first time, ruin a mornings sleep for the wife of the first one, make an attempt on the life of the second, and nearly get skunked with the third. All in all, a heck of a weekend. Who wants to go with me next Sat :whistling::lol::lol:

Interesting read.

This should be mentioned to all the boaters who are posting their modified 14 footer tin boats with floors and pedestal seats. 2 weeks ago I mentioned to one poster that it appeared that the high center of gravity might be a safety issue, but my concern was quickly dismissed. Those small boats would need a lead keel to keep them upright.

True dat.

Fantastic little morning read. Coffee went down so much better!

cheers!

HD

Albert;

I know you want to "Slime" your boat, but if you'd like to chase Musky with me, I have room ror you.

Bring your spinnerbaits and casting rod.

Garry2R's

I made the mistake of saying to my wife I would like to go again soon. SWMBO gave me a look that indicated the subject had better not be broached untill a reasonable amount of time has passed.....

That being said, I will be seeing you again this season! Just ask Beans how unreasonable I am....To be able to go out with a pro guide caliber fisherman is high on my "want to" list. Thanks again for Sunday.

I almost didn't read the post based on the title then I realized who had written it and decided to take a look, boy am I ever glad I did!

I was trying so hard to not laugh when I heard what had happened because I saw how upset you were by the whole thing, but when I knew Beans was OK, I just couldn't help myself. You have to be able to see the humor in things or you'd go crazy with worring. I've thought about dumping Beans overboard a few times when he outfishes me (just kidding Beans.... well, Ok I won't do it I promise!)

I was so happy to read your post and hear that you were able to see some humor in it, that you took the time to go over to Bean's after the fact to make sure he was OK speaks volumes about your charactor. Good on you!

Now that you know the way I hope to have a chance to get out fishing with you at some point this summer, I am nowhere near the fisherman that Beans and 2rs are but I can usually put a few in the boat (I don't target muskie though)

By the way, thank you so much for the ideas you gave me for the basement kitchen, I truly appreciate them.

Look forward to seeing you again!

Big Cliff

Oh god... i can just picture it.... lol... sorry... but where I come from .. thats just funny... hey Id be lying if I said Id never fallen in the drink... I can imagine how bad ya would feel.. but im still chuckling..... Someone get Beans a towel!!!!

Interesting read.

You may be right about the high centre of mass, but the way I read it the seat or the seat mount failed.

beans did u have your seat belt on?

Luckily...NO !...The seat was absorbing water slowly and would have sunk if the chap with his son hadn't tied it off with their anchor rope until Albert retreived it from them...

Albert, You have had the pleasure of meeting 2 very great friends (and I do mean that) that I will always call my friends... Big Cliff & Beans. Have had the pleasure of staying at Norm & Meribeths place last fall for a day of Fishing< But never tried to drown the man :whistling: . Still have to get over to Big Cliffs this summer for some Fishing as well or he is going to disown me :blush: .

Have never had the pleasure of meeting 2RR's but sure would like too soon... And have already had the pleasure of meeting you... Another couple you have to meet is Lew, T.J and some of the other excellent folks... Can't fill in all the names as not enough space or I will be band for using the board up,, But you will get what I mean when you continue to meet them :thumbsup_anim: .

All as I can say is this has got to be the GREATEST board there has ever been :thumbsup_anim:

I can't say any more... EXCEPT... Hope you are okay NORM... :whistling:

• 5 years later...

HTHM,

Should you tell them or shall I?

Met Albert for the first time yesterday and set out from Pt. Bruce for some jumbo perch, which were fortunate to find a few. I knew the trip was going to be memorable when we had a fire on board after 2 minutes in the water. So that really would be 2 attempts to end his life after knowing me for a few hours.

I'll let Albert tell the rest. Should make for a good read.

Johnny D.

No way I can get that seat to come out today, no way.