How much tackle is to much tackle and what are your favorite lures to use.

livinisfishin

I always get told by some people that arent regulars at fishing that i have too much tackle, and that i have a lot of the same stuff, i guess that is just the way it appears to the untrained eye but i dont have too many of the same lures, just different colors and sizes. My favorite lures to use are Mepps Cyclops size 2 fire tiger. As well as single blad spinner with a chaurtruse and blue skirt. Both produce many bass and pike.

We enjoy fishing for Walleye and Smallmouth. We get the same thing from our families. We have a large assortment of cranks and plastics. I guess if you don't fish, they all look the same, but we can tell the difference. We both have our favourite crankbaits and jigs, and always have several of them on hand in case we lose one. Nothing worse then loosing your fav lure and not having a suitable replacement.

Nothing worse then loosing your fav lure and not having a suitable replacement.

This is very true.

I remember once out on Lake Ontario, we were getting bit really good on a RAC spoon that we only had one of.

It was about the 5th hit and I just took the rod out of the holder and went to set the hook and lost everything!

Didn't catch another fish the rest of the day!

Lost a few mepps cyclops in the fire tiger color i was talking about to some pike. It took a couple of times befroe i realized i had a hot lure and i needed to keep two of them with me at all times . I have so many lures that i just bought over the last couple of years, people dont believe that i even use them , the truth is i go thruogh so many some days just to find the right one. I love having the selection of what i want to use . I bought this big red tackle bage from Bass pro ,. I think i should have but the smaller blue model because the bag is ridiculously big, but on the plus it holds almost all the lures .

I am the same, except with Rapalas. I’ve caught everything from snappers to seagulls with them, and you can’t buy just one colour or size.

Same with Scum Frogs. Good success means three differently coloured frogs (if nature doesn’t make frogs yellow and black, why do I think that I need them?).

My all time favorite lure though is a yellow X5 Flatfish (with black and red spots). Drifting with one (with a small split shot a couple of feet up the line) grabs what ever you drift over.

God, I miss summer.

There's no such thing as too much tackle! It's good to have different styles of lures, plastics, jigs, and basically everything under the rainbow because you never know what the fish will be turned on to that particular day, or in whatever particular situation you're in. Personally, if I wasn't absolutely broke, I would have a lot more tackle, equiptment, and tools.. My vice is Rapala's, all different types, i have a serious problem.. I'm hooked on them like crack, i'm in debt, and I can't stop buying em'

There's no such thing as too much tackle! It's good to have different styles of lures, plastics, jigs, and basically everything under the rainbow because you never know what the fish will be turned on to that particular day, or in whatever particular situation you're in. Personally, if I wasn't absolutely broke, I would have a lot more tackle, equiptment, and tools.. My vice is Rapala's, all different types, i have a serious problem.. I'm hooked on them like crack, i'm in debt, and I can't stop buying em'

:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

Its a bad addiction. Christ I sell tackle I have never used to buy more tackle that I will probally never use. I have started selling some of it as it has over taken my fishing room. I have new cranks from 15-20 years ago still in the packages never opened. My room looks like a tackle shop. I mstill buy crap though. :wallbash:

Too much tackle? Ya same here, had some obscure baits save the day at times though. I do like to be able to fish from top to bottom and with a variety of different looks.

Favorite bait? the one that is catching the fish! Mostly a bass fisherman so some kind of jig setup was thrown the most. Jig and worm, jig and pig, tube.

Well i agree with smalliefisher & tdotfisherman...i have tons of lures,hundreds & hundreds !!!! some like you said 20yrs old and never even been in the water...i buy constantly,its very addicting,but i love it,and wont change a thing LOL..LOL..LOL . :clapping::w00t::P ..and i love just checking them all out for hours,cleaning modifying,changing hooks ect. B):lol: ...it keeps me busy for hours,for example i bought $100 bucks worth of the new koppers baits yesterday at the fishing show !!!! man it never ends,and i know lots of us feel the same....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I know what you mean. You really never can have enough tackle, at least on my budget LOL. I just bought six (good stuff in the cheap bin,really) at the show. I stuck mostly to silver/blue or silver/green because I'm going to fish Charleston Lake for a week this summer and it's pretty clear, so more natural and shad type colours should work. I can also use them in any clearer water like Long Point (inner bay) which I hope to frequent this year and I really didn't have alot to begin with. As far as my "go to" lures I'd have to say on calm water a chug bug is still my favorite. You gotta love topwater. Next thing I'd grab ....hmm.......... I like spinnerbaits, white,chartruese or a combo of the two. My next fave is probably a #3 mepps in black with yellow or chartruese dots (black fury). You never know what these will bring in. Next would be my Rapala JSR-9 in silver or perch which seems to bring in bigger bass. Next a cordell ripplin redfin, a great all around cheap crankbait IMHO. Next a straight minnow bait like a Rapala Husky Jerk. I'm hoping to have a couple new favorites this year. I went out and bought some spoons because of a post like this where TJ Quesnel posted a pic of a lucky strike "half wave" and another orange/brass striped lure with the caption "nothing else matters". I figured if a guy like that has that much confidence in those baits, I'll give them a shot. Anyway hopefully I'll get a couple more ideas from this thread, because I think I need more lures LOL. I think I'll start with a Mepps Cyclops in fire tiger. ;)

Is this a trick question? I didn't know there was such a thing as too much tackle.

You just have to put it in reality for people. If they golf, what do they spend on that? How many balls (golf balls that is) do they have? How many cd's can a person have? Or shoes?

I know I do not have enough tackle, cuse there is always a shiny lure calling my name every time I go into the store. Sad part is the stuff I use the most- 4" Cinkos and a plain hook.

I went too the fishing show with my wife, Did not see anything that really struck my eye.. Yea I spent a few bucks on little stuff but well below my winter budget..

Next day my wife bought a new couch.. This tells me if I don't keep spending on fishing stuff my wife redirects my budget..

So in other words YOU NEVER have too much fishing stuff... :) :) :)

Edited by LeXXington

Well, after the schooling that Bernie gave me on the weekend, I definately have way too much stuff! Old school ruled the day and you can't get any simpler, than a carved piece of wood, some really old mono and the willingness to endure the cold, for the ever elusive hit! :Gonefishing:

HH

I went too the fishing show with my wife, Did not see anything that really struck my eye.. Yea I spent a few bucks on little stuff but well below my winter budget..

Next day my wife bought a new couch.. This tells me if I don't keep spending on fishing stuff my wife redirect my budget..

So in other words YOU NEVER have too much fishing stuff... :) :) :)

LOL, that's too funny. My wife wants to do the same thing. It will have a serious impact on my addiction :(

I have only been fishing for almost two years now as well, so there is a lot that I still need.

:thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: i agree with you all too much is not enough,my basement im told looks like a tackle store :clapping: ,i just can't help myself,like most of you i buy 2-3 of each,some i use and some i don't.

my wife never says a word cause 28 years ago i said you know i could be in the strip clubs with my buddies spending this money :whistling: ,boy have i got a keeper lol.lol

Hawg Hunter

"I'd say you have too much if you cant carry it all at once.

Guess I have too much . Stopped counting my rapalas when I got to 1000 , and I dont really like rappalas so you can guess how much stuff I have . I just go down to the fish room and fill up a box of stuff to use that day when I go fishing , and I have a few location boxes that I take i.e. A sucgog box a rice lake box etc. etc. Been buying lures for 30 years or so it all ands up ??