ot- snow blower recommendations

charlesn

I was wondering what recommendations people had for a snow blower?

Have about a 50' long 2 car driveway. I got ripped off once by a company called Alpine Snow Removal, so I'm hesitant to hire someone as there doesn't seem to be a recourse if they just cash your cheque and never show up. I have never owned anything more sophisticated than a shovel as far as snow removal goes.

I guess if someone could explain the differences and advantages for gas or electric and what not, that would be great. I might need to call a cab to go buy it though as I am snowed in. lol

I don't mind paying for quality as I'd rather have something that lasts.

Thanks!

Charles

for snows like today i take a drive around the burrow and find someone with a plow 30 bucks its all over in 5 mins

if you sign a contract you could get hosed $500+

besides we only get a couple of these once a year and the rest can be done by shovel

stop a guy even if hes driving by

CASH IS KING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best home snow thrower TORO Snow Commander about $1700.00(in my opinion)

This thing is awesome

Its very light and maouverable

A buddy has a small contracting bus has been very profitable and trust worthy for him

It seens to be bullet proof he looks after it and it just eats and eats

i will be buying one in the summer

I think a very sound investment

Current Power in Mississauga has them

Edited by BITEME

I use a 4 hp toro gas blower, works perfectly fine, and with the snow we had today, I had to do it twice to avoid the big piles, personally its all you will need. Now a 12hp self propelling, fancy one is mint it just ends up taking space in the garage that can be used for more fishing gear...

I have been very happy with MTD 5 yrs trouble free with 10HP and 28 inches wide.We get alot of snow so the 10hp was the better investment for me. you can get a machine like this for $1000 to $1200 a bigger machine will move through deep and wet snow with ease .I don't think a higher reving smaller hp unit will last longer than a bigger machine.The price difference to upgrade to more HP is minimal don't buy an under powered unit and regret it later.

There are many good brands out there and you would be surprised to see that the motor is built by almost one company.

Good Luck with your purchase Charles .Save your back, save time ,avoid the heart attack buy a big a ss snowblower.

MTP :canadian:

Edited by Mike the Pike

My toro pounds out the snow like there is no tomorrow. Not exactly sure on the specs on it, but it will eat its way thru snow deeper than the machine itself is. It just keeps on going and going........my neighbour seems to like it too :)

Sinker

Toro, Ariens and Honda are the top models. Gas is best in my opinion, Electrics just aren't as powerful. Make sure you get a two stage, with a large chute. One with reverse makes life easier, but isn't essential. Horse Power is a personal choice, being in the GTA i would think you don't need a huge one, mine is 8 HP and 24" wide, an Ariens. Metal blades on the auger are better when it comes to moving the stuff the plow leaves behind for you and I imagine will last much longer. Look at the tires, you want them to have a real good tread to get through the deeper stuff.

Good luck

Maureen

I've been using an 8 HP 24 inch wide path Toro (with a set of chains) since I bought it new in 1981. Touch wood - it's been running great. Two years ago I had the local snow blower shop guy pick it up for an overhaul (second one in 24 years). When he returned it, he asked for first dibbs on it if I ever decided to sell it. That, and my 26 years of experience with it, represents a pretty good recommendation for a Toro.

:whistling:

I have a 20yr old John Deere. 5hp x 20". Got it 6 yrs ago and it starts 2nd pull, if I cant use the electric start [ too cold ? ] Cleared a 80' x 18' drive + a couple of paths for the Hydro, gas servicemen, this aft.

If I were to buy another one, it would be a 'Deere but a 8hp, to throw the snow further. Shovelling is out of the question for this old Pup :rolleyes:

Get yourself a Toro. They are the best in my opinion. I have one that's over 20 years old & it's still going strong. Avoid Snapper (AKA Crapper), they are junk. When I had mine in for a tune-up a few years ago the repair guy recommended that I use the synthetic 2-cycle oil because it doesn't break down & separate from the gas like regular oil does. Plus it won't gum up the carb & cause hard starts. I always add Stabil to my gas along with the synthetic oil & I don't have to worry about running out the gas at the end of the season & it starts right up the next snow season.

You could also buy a used quad & put a plow on it then you would have something that you'll get several uses out of.

I have a 8hp Craftsman... it is about 30 years old... Other then a few problems I had today... (would not start) it has been flawless... I took off the fuel line and nothing but black came out.. Rotten fuel line or rusted fuel shut off... I cleaned out the gunk.. and found ice in the valve of the bowl.. blew that out.... added fuel line anti freeze and she is purring like new again.. would I buy another Craftsmen? you betcha.. first time this unit has ever needed service.. and it took me no more the 30 minutes to fix.. While I myself have not owned the machine for 30 years (Hand me down) I know its service history inside and out..

Tecumseh 8HP

G.

I have a 8hp Craftsman... it is about 30 years old... Other then a few problems I had today... (would not start) it has been flawless... I took off the fuel line and nothing but black came out.. Rotten fuel line or rusted fuel shut off... I cleaned out the gunk.. and found ice in the valve of the bowl.. blew that out.... added fuel line anti freeze and she is purring like new again.. would I buy another Craftsmen? you betcha.. first time this unit has ever needed service.. and it took me no more the 30 minutes to fix.. While I myself have not owned the machine for 30 years (Hand me down) I know its service history inside and out..

Tecumseh 8HP

G.

Yes Gerritt thats what I have a 10hp Tecumseh.I guess I have many years with this engine ahead of me 5 yrs so far.

Mine is a 11.5 hp 27" cut Ariens Deluxe. This thing has a headlight, electric heated hand grips, electric start,and the Tecumseh Snow King engine.

A lot of machines have the Snow King engine, but this thing is a tank! The thing that sold me was the heavy weight, and all steel construction. No plastic parts on the chute to crack or break.

You can also disengage one drive wheel to make manouvering around easier.

I would have bought this machine at a dealer, but I happened to walk in to HD back in August and they had this one left for $400.00 less than regular.

Expect to pay between $1,800.00 and $2,000.00 for one of these, but they are built to last.

I also plow with a 500 cc ATV and 60" blade. The snowblower is just for clean-ups and around the edges.

Between the two of them, we run them for anywhere from 3 hours to 8 hours at a time this year to clear the driveway and yard. Does it ever stop snowing?

I'm in the snow belt and expected more snow than the city, but this is crazy! It just keeps coming!

Wow, thanks guys and gals for the info. It appears that they are all good (except Snapper/Crapper). I'm amazed they all last that long, but maybe they just built things better back then. Since many of the major brands appear to be good, I'll look for what appears to be the best price/hp at the moment. I live in an area that doesn't "usually" experience that much snow. I shoveled twice in all of the winter of 06/07, and about that many the winter before. In fact, in the 8 years I've owned this house I've probably only needed to clear the snow 20 times so I'm thinking of a lower hp model, maybe a 5 or 7.5 from what I've seen surfing.

Thanks again, what a fast response and a great way to get a bunch of opinions and experience.

Charles

Wow, thanks guys and gals for the info. It appears that they are all good (except Snapper/Crapper). I'm amazed they all last that long, but maybe they just built things better back then. Since many of the major brands appear to be good, I'll look for what appears to be the best price/hp at the moment. I live in an area that doesn't "usually" experience that much snow. I shoveled twice in all of the winter of 06/07, and about that many the winter before. In fact, in the 8 years I've owned this house I've probably only needed to clear the snow 20 times so I'm thinking of a lower hp model, maybe a 5 or 7.5 from what I've seen surfing.

Thanks again, what a fast response and a great way to get a bunch of opinions and experience.

Charles

Charles for what you do go for 7.7hp of 8hp niver know when we will get the big storm.

MTP

What you want is a dual stage snow blower, the minimum of 8hp and 24" cutting path. Anything smaller and you will be working the machine and your self too hard.

I have a 8hp 24" Toro snow blower, and have been using it for the past 15 years. My own drive way is 80' by 30' and capacity of 6 vehicles. Other than routine maintainence, I have not had any problems.

Toro are sold through a dealer network, and all have service departments. With other makes you have to source your own small engine repair shop, and warranty issues can be a nightmare.

You can spend the extra money now and buy quality, or..............

With other makes you have to source your own small engine repair shop, and warranty issues can be a nightmare.

You can spend the extra money now and buy quality, or..............

Ah Bull, That's why Toro costs so much, they have to support the dealer network. But then again, you can buy Toro at HD and I don't see a lineup of mechanics there.

You could also buy a used quad & put a plow on it then you would have something that you'll get several uses out of.

That sounds like a good idea, I was considering a snow blower also....4 car driveway and 60x30 backyard rink is a lot of work with shovel. $1500 would have covered the snow blower....used ATV available around $2500?...plow/attachment $? I'm good with engines so making sure I'm not buying problem won't be an issue-always wanted an ATV so this sounds like good idea.

Will I run into problem with authorities clearing driveway to city street with an ATV....guess I should see if Whitby has a bylaw. Must be restrictions on running ATV's within city but would that be enforced if a guy was just plowing his own, possibly neighbours driveway? Anyone here using an ATV in the GTA?

I'm thinking of a lower hp model, maybe a 5 or 7.5 from what I've seen surfing.

Buy the largest HP that you can afford, you won't be sorry. I have an old Crappie Tire 5HP 23" wide that my brother in law gave me last year. It works yes, it does move snow yes, do I think a bigger one would be better? YES!

Buy at least an 8HP, my father bought an 8HP years ago when he did a retrofitting of the Roper plant years and years ago and he got a deal on it. It has a Tecumseh engine and it puts my 5Hp to shame. It can literally blow it off the sidewalk. :whistling: I can't believe the difference after using mine on my driveway and then go to my mother's and use that one. Biiiig difference. Buy the big one, like they say bigger is better.

Here's my two cents on it. I bought a 7hp Ariens about 30 years ago and it lasted 25 years without a hiccup. Then it died from terminal everything. Wasn't worth fixing all the things that suddenly went wrong.

So I decided to go for HP and got a 10.5 HP 30" with a gazillion forward speeds and 2 reverses. It was great but it took up a huge amount of space in my tiny garage. I figured for sure one day I'd come home and my wife would have put a crease up the side of her new Caddy, so I gave it to my son for his huge driveway. He loves it.

I went out to CTC on Boxing Day and picked up a 5.5 hp 20" one speed elect start 2 stage w/no reverse that I now love. It's so light I can drag it over to my Mom's at walking speed instead of driving it. I can lift it easily into the back of the Pilot (and close the hatch). It runs forever on a tank of gas. It doesn't chew through the heavy stuff like the big one but I just slow down and let it work at it's own speed. I have a smallish drive 35'x20' but I do my bro's place and my Mom's most of the time cuz they're both within a block of me. Their drives are about the same size as mine. This machine cost one third of what the big one did and does everything I need it to do. It doesn't throw the snow about a mile (which isn't really that important on my yard, or run fast over the ground (which doesn't really matter to me). It's got skinny little tires with no chains but it still claws it's way through the snow.

Analyze, then buy. In the end you might be happier. In my case the smaller one is more practical. Admittedly it may burn out from overload a bit sooner but for $550 do I really care if it only last 10 or 15 years?

JF