Howdie

swiebe

Please allow me to introduce myself...

My name is Scott. My wife [Maureen, aka Mau] and I live in Toronto's east end and are starting to get into fishing. Well, actually Mau has always been interested in fishing: she used to fish with her dad when she was a girl and periodically reminisces about it, says how much she'd like to fish again. With her birthday approaching I decided to get her/us some fishing gear and gave it to her early since it's getting colder and there's not much time left to fish this year. She was thrilled.

It's been a long time since she fished and I've only tried it twice before so we're pretty green. The nearest fishing spot is Ashbridge's Bay here in Toronto. We went yesterday to try our new gear and caught quite the haul of seaweed and lost three Little Cleo's and two bobbers. Still, we're eager to go back and learn to do it right... saw some nice fat fish jumping out of the water [we're convinced they were taunting us] which we'd like to try to catch. Salmon, maybe?

The line which came with the poles was really light, 4 lb I think. We think that and our inexperienced knot tying were the cause of the lost gear. So last night I took the line of the spools and replaced it with 14 lb Trilene XT - Mau found a few columns online recommending that brand of fishing line. We're gonna spend a few nights this week practicing our knots and try our luck again next weekend.

Is anyone else here from the GTA? Can you give us any tips for fishing in this area, Ashbridge's Bay in particular?

Little more of the introduction: We're middle aged, no kids atm but working on changing that. I'm a computer geek by trade, presently a programmer also been a webmaster, systems administrator, network administrator and database administrator. Mostly I work with various flavours of unix. Mau is a student right now, working on her PhD in anthropology. She's aiming to finish her degree in the next few months and is teaching a class at UofT this semester. She's aiming to eventually become a professor.

Welcome to the board! You came to the right place. This board is FULL of information and people willing to help you out. It has helped me out a ton this year! I can't help with your question about Ashbridge's Bay but your line change should help you out with the loss of tackle. I'm also a programmer...well, I sit at the computer and think about fishing all day...nice to see people in the same profession on here.

Mau is a student right now, working on her PhD in anthropology. She's aiming to finish her degree in the next few months and is teaching a class at UofT this semester. She's aiming to eventually become a professor.

Welcome aboard... but you dudes are WAY WAY too smrt for this group..... lol

Welcome aboard Scootch and Mau. There really is a wealth of information here. Don't take any fishing advice from DouG though. He still needs to stop to think which direction to turn the handle.

Welcome aboard... but you dudes are WAY WAY too smrt for this group..... lol

Ain't that the truth ;)

Welcome to the zoo Scootch and Mau, this is a great place to be and learn. There are plenty of places in the Toronto Area to go fishing, and it seems to me you've already figured out a few things on your own. From earlier posts I've read here the Islands is the place to go.

Maureen

Welcome aboard folks...East end of Toronto eh?...My former hometown...grew up (?) around the Leslie and Queen Streets area...Fishing has changed for the better all around Toronto since I lived down there...Ashbridges Bay was a sewage treatment area and stunk like hell...but now it is a carp and salmon haven...(from what I have read on here)

You didn't mention if you had ''wheels'' and how mobile you are...

Do yourself a favor and learn how to tie the ''palomar knot''...I use it 99% of the time unless I'm tying two lenghs of line together, then I use a ''uni knot''...

I hope you catch a big 'un but remember to have fun !!!

Welcome to the best place on the net! My wife and I rediscovered fishing about a year ago as well, and this board has been a wealth of knowledge for us. We've met many of the members and always have a great time.

My advice fishing from shore is to decide what you would like to target and then start asking questions!! That's how we did it and have had some success over the past year.

Nice introduction and happy fishing!

PS....as someone else already said, fishing from shore can be good right into December if it does not get too cold!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. Much appreciated.

Thanks for the knot tip, Beans. Mau looked up a few knots on the interweb and Palomar and Trilene are the two we're planning on trying out next weekend. No wheels right now. We sold our car a few years ago since we were paying exorbitant insurance for it to rust in the driveway: living and working [and going to school] in the city we just take the bus everyone - it's worked out a lot cheaper to rent a car when we go out of town.

So, fishing tips... We want to try and catch those salmon we saw jumping in Ashbridge's Bay. I've been told Little Cleo's are good for salmon. What time of day is best and how deep should we go? A couple feet off the bobber, 6 feet, no bobber?

A few of you mentioned of the islands... we'll have to check those out soon but for now [while we're still learning to tie a proper knot] we're gonna keep going to Ashbridge's Bay - it's real easy to get to from our place. Hopefully we'll get the chance to go to the islands before it's too cold.

Hi, Scootch and welcome (pay no attention to the short furry one behind the curtain).

A Lil cleo (in glow finish, activated with a flashlight, camera flash or headlamp) is a casting spoon. Chuck it out as far as you can, and give 'er a steady retrieve on the way in. The glow is useful because the best time o day to go after these feesh is dusk and later.

Hey, welcome to the board Scootch( and Mau )and I think it's great you guys are getting into fishing together. Goodluck, as I know it can be a bit overwhelming at first.

You mentioned you need help with your knots. Here's a site that I go to that reeeeeeeally helps with all the various fishing knots. It's animated and moves as fast( or slow )as you make it. I rely on it regularly.

http://www.animatedknots.com

Cheers!