Dad's Big one

Pete Maina

Hi,

Just a quick story here. I get a few chances to get my dad out to do some muskie fishing every year. We always have a great time, and generally fish for a variety of species on trips. While we have fun either way, a little goal of mine has always been to see my dad get a fish over 50 inches. Been close, as a couple 49 inchers.

So, on the last day of a recent trip, my dad kinda jumped right over the line in a big way. Was neat to see :thumbsup_anim:

We'd raised the big fish a few times, but pretty lazy. A weather-window got the fish moving a bit ... dad practiced with a fish about 20 pounds at boatside. And we worked our way to the bigger one. (Of course this kind of thing rarely seems to actually work, but this time it did.) We could tell by the attitude as the fish started chasing the bucktail. Dad sped up as he neared the boat and so did the fish. Third turn on the figure 8 it ate the thing and then jumped. Pretty neat deal ... laughed later cuz dad said after hooking the fish "think you should get the net for this one"

With Roy's help here, hope to have a pic up

Hope summer has treated you all well!

Pete

Edited by Roy

HI,

Hey, thanks for all the neat responses here. (BTW, ruler was waving beyond 54 - so really was a nice one)

(Thanks for posting pic Roy, er, dad.)

What impresses me about the pic is the gill plate and dad's hands ... has big mitts.

Anyway, luck was shining on us and a neat experience.

Tennessee: was using my signature series stuff - with the 9 foot rod - comes in pretty handy at boatside.

(Was a bit too cold for a kilt Terry.) :w00t:

Pete