Anybody else getting cabin fever?

akaShag

So it is the ides of January, if such a thing exists, and my ice fishing gear is calling my name.  The ION batteries are all charged up and ready to go.............................but no fishable ice on my usual spots yet.  Soon, I hope!

Other than limeyangler (lucky sod!) how about the rest of you hard water anglers?

Doug

Up here in central Frontenac, my lake finally froze over last week...then we got hit with 10" of heavy snow. Not good...now it's a slushy mess with a few inches of clear ice underneath that's very unpredictable. Would've been much better if we got the cold snap BEFORE the snow.

Probably going to give the smaller Trout lakes up by Plevna/Ompah  a try in the coming days....the Crappie and Walleye will have to wait for now.

Good thing about this winter was that I was Steelhead fishing right up until Christmas. 

• Like 1

With the wind chill in the-50s out west here, 51 degrees colder than our normal high I don't think we have to worry about ice anymore.  Guys have actually been out ice fishing for over a month since our last cold spell. Sunday the temperature slowly got up to -8 over night and slowly made it up to -5 yesterday and the winds have been calm, no wind chill but still bitterly cold in the central and northern part of the province. Started snowing again yesterday and still is. Going down into the -20s today with a brisk wind out of the north, -30s with the wind chill. So I think it's going be a day of two before I get out.

1 hour ago, akaShag said:

Simcoe still open, I take it?

Doug

Yeah, the bottom of cooks bay just froze over and north of Beaverton has some ice

but we don’t have any safe ice yet 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CrowMan said:

Up here in central Frontenac, my lake finally froze over last week...then we got hit with 10" of heavy snow. Not good...now it's a slushy mess with a few inches of clear ice underneath that's very unpredictable. Would've been much better if we got the cold snap BEFORE the snow.

Probably going to give the smaller Trout lakes up by Plevna/Ompah  a try in the coming days....the Crappie and Walleye will have to wait for now.

Good thing about this winter was that I was Steelhead fishing right up until Christmas. 

Not far from you CrowMan, 

The little trout lakes out that way have been frozen for a a few weeks now with over 6 inches of ice. Machines will be out on them now. Boy do those lakes ever get pounded with fishing pressure.

Bought into an ice shack this year on the Big River..... seems to be a bust so far! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BassMan11 said:

Not far from you CrowMan, 

The little trout lakes out that way have been frozen for a a few weeks now with over 6 inches of ice. Machines will be out on them now. Boy do those lakes ever get pounded with fishing pressure.

Bought into an ice shack this year on the Big River..... seems to be a bust so far! 

Seeing as it says Carp are you referring to the Ottawa River? If so they've been fishing Buchhams Bay for almost two weeks now and Shirleys Bay has shacks out now too.

I got out on cooks bay simcoe today? Just enough ice at the ramp to park my UTV on the ice and chip my way out

4 inches was the thickest I found and 2.5 inches was the thinnest ice.  I walked to a pressure crack and stopped and fished. Caught a few small perch but scratched the itch I’ve been waiting to get rid of

Ok so the photos are upside down lol 

IMG_5087.jpeg

IMG_5089.jpeg

Edited by Terry
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, LostAnotherOne said:

Been out lots.  On Monday I start a solo 4 full days out on the ice.  I feel for you all waiting for the ice to form on Simcoe.  Moving up north definitely change things for me when it comes to fishing.  So many back lakes.

Looks like you are not in Waterford any more............

I was over by Chemong Lake this afternoon and saw a couple ice huts out on the lake about a mile north of the Causeway. Couldn't actually tell if they were potables or not but at least a few guys are doing it.

• Like 1

Was…but finally wet a line today for the first time since the first week of November. That’s the longest stretch of no fishing I think I’ve served in almost a decade.

ice is not good, but good enough to spud around in a floater and keep it safe. 

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 2

Finally got out last Saturday,  The ice was sketchy where we wanted to go, like 2 to 2.5 inches, so we stayed on better ice (about 5 inches of white ice) and caught one dandy perch and a pike about 4 pounds.  Been out twice since, on better ice, and put a couple feeds of perch in the bucket.  Fresh perch, yum yum!

Now we are having rain and plus temperatures............😟

Doug

• Like 3

Just an update on my recent trip on the ice for 3 nights.  Unfortunately nothing big was caught.  Ending up landing 6 lakers and 7 burbot.  Lost a few but I don't think they were big.  Had a few hits too and you never know what that could of been🤔.  30lb pike lol.  Within my area one guy caught a 31" walleye and another guy caught a 33" walleye the ice hut operator mentioned.  

• Like 1