Firewood

Sinker

What's a bush cord go for up that way fellow Mariner owner? Cheap down here compared to 35 years ago when everyone installed a wood burner in Hamilton. $100.00 a cord or more then, now about 60 here split and delivered if 5 cords or more.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Try Kijiji, I just looked on there and found several people in our area that are selling loads of logs. If that doesn't work out for you let me know, I'll talk to the guys at work (all local farmers and such) and see who they recommend.

What's a bush cord go for up that way fellow Mariner owner? Cheap down here compared to 35 years ago when everyone installed a wood burner in Hamilton. $100.00 a cord or more then, now about 60 here split and delivered if 5 cords or more.

A lot more than that! Usually 250-300/ cord, but i usually score it cheaper.

Thanks Cliff.

S.

that wood is hotter than the fire it will make! :)

I paid $300 a bush cord this year and go through 3 a year. You might be talking about a face cord Old Ironmaker.

It is definitely getting harder to find a good source. They like to short change you through the length of the wood or including crappy wood in the mix, that happened to me last year buying off Kijiji. I think if you find a good place it will be $350 a bush cord, but better than being short changed.

Edited by jimmer

Wish I'd known you needed wood a couple months ago Shane as I just got rid of my airtight wood stove down in the family room and replaced it with a propane.

I sold 1 1/2 bush cords of split & dried hardwood for $200

Wish I'd known you needed wood a couple months ago Shane as I just got rid of my airtight wood stove down in the family room and replaced it with a propane.

I sold 1 1/2 bush cords of split & dried hardwood for $200

Bummer!!!

Finding wood is easy, finding good wood, not so easy.

Old....if you are getting bush cords for $60, and its good hardwood, I'm already on my way. A lot of people call a face cord a cord....which its not. I know down in your neck of the woods, there is a lot of dead ash, thats infected with the Ash Borer Bettle....I'd rather not bring that up here. Its here now, but no need to make it worse.

Finding a truck load of logs is not as easy as it usually is this year. Not sure what the deal is. Maybe too wet?? I dunno, but I need wood asap. I hate paying top dollar for it though....anyone have some trees they need cut down? I'm pretty handy with a chainsaw.

S.

anyone have some trees they need cut down? I'm pretty handy with a chainsaw.

S.

To bad my father signed a deal with a guy to bring a big maple down in Oct in his yard...

However the guy 2 doors over sells wood but not sure his rates. PM for name if you are willing to go to Burnt River for it.

That Ash Borer will probably be a problem anywhere there are ash trees, it is sure a problem here in Ohio, you can look at a tree line and spot the Ash trees, they are the ones dead or dying, they have restrictions here on transporting Ash, some counties don't allow it.

No it's not a bush cord, sorry. It's all slab hardwood though from a local mill. it's packed tight so more than a face cord but no bush cord.

The last couple of winters here have been very mild, the Amish sawmills in the area are having a glut of slabwood, I got 6 cords delivered a couple of months ago for 425 bucks an early season sale! Never saw it advertised like that before.

what crappieperchhunter said, 4x4x8

or... 3 face cords (or just cords) = 1 bush cord

You gotta be careful with what some call a face cord. Some wood is all cut 14 inches so your getting screwed out of a lot of wood if you assume 3 of those face cords would equal a bush cord.

I get all my wood cut at 12 inches so 4 face cords would be a bush cord...which is why my wood costs more as well...because it's more cutting/work for my supplier. I pay it because our wood stove is smaller and if I get anything much over 17 it becomes a PITA to fit in and because 12 inch cuts are much easier for Debbe to handle/split when I'm not home.

Be very wary of buying wood from someone you don't know. Get references if possible. Maybe buy 1 cord at first, pile it to make sure it's a full bush cord then buy more.

I cut all of my own wood so I know what I'm getting. My stove is small so I usually cut 12-14" long. One option is buying logs and cutting and splitting them yourself. They will need time to season though but you'll save a ton of money that way.

Make sure it's not only the right amount but also good hardwood and properly seasoned. The wood should be turning grey on the outside. If it seems like it's too good to be true, it is.