Firewood

Sinker

I am looking for logs, not a cord of wood, just so we are clear here. I know what a cord is, and I don't want cut and split. I do my own firewood, but this year there was a problem with my usual source, and I have kind of been left high and dry. I have a few cords ready to go, but I am going to need a lot more sooner than later.

I know a guy. Call 705-657-2300 during the day. Ask for Rod.

Thanks, but no luck. He only has $40 stacks for sale, and doesn't do logs.

I have called a ton of kijiji yahoos as well. Hard to find someone to deliver a load of logs.

S.

Edited by Sinker

Shane, there's a place on hwy 36 a couple miles east of Buckhorn and he has a huge amount of large logs piled up and it appears as if they cut them into smaller pieces. I don't know anything about the operation and there's no phone number posted anywhere or even a name but maybe if you search the web you can find something. It's only a few miles from me and I was by there today but didn't see anyone around and can't offer you anymore than that.

Shane, there's a place on hwy 36 a couple miles east of Buckhorn and he has a huge amount of large logs piled up and it appears as if they cut them into smaller pieces. I don't know anything about the operation and there's no phone number posted anywhere or even a name but maybe if you search the web you can find something. It's only a few miles from me and I was by there today but didn't see anyone around and can't offer you anymore than that.

Thanks, Lew. Appreciate it, and good to hear from ya!

S.

There is a place that operates in Haliburton County called 13 Oaks 705-448-3593. They have a website, but they don't list log lengths. They do mention on their home page that they might be able to link people up with tandem loads if you call them.

I used to buy lengths from a company called Merrill Barry in West Guilford, but he isn't listing wood on his webpage anymore. He might know someone though.

That's all I've got Sinker

talk to some the arborists, some will ust give ya the wood, if they don't have a spot to dump it

Around here the only wood arborists will give away is pine and the knotty wood that's too much work to split. Most already have a source that buys the wood or they stockpile it and split firewood during slow times to sell themselves. Personally, I just hit Kijiji for firewood as it's free and already cut into manageable sizes.

I've used my new Fiskars 8lb splitting maul a couple times now and it makes life so much easier. My traditional style maul is a joke compared to this thing.

Around here the only wood arborists will give away is pine and the knotty wood that's too much work to split. Most already have a source that buys the wood or they stockpile it and split firewood during slow times to sell themselves. Personally, I just hit Kijiji for firewood as it's free and already cut into manageable sizes.

I've used my new Fiskars 8lb splitting maul a couple times now and it makes life so much easier. My traditional style maul is a joke compared to this thing.

One of the Amish sawmills near me used wood that wasn't high quality to make wood pallets, another place near me ground up wood pallets to make mulch, they even dyed some of it. Some of those sawmills had mountains of sawdust, now it gets loaded into big dumpsters and is used to make wood pellets for pellet stoves? Some now do the same with their slab wood.

http://www.woodpellets.com/heating-fuels/pellet-processing.aspx

I think I found a source. I got lucky and pulled into a wood lot last night where a crew was cutting and they are going to take care of me for a good price!

Thanks!!

S.

Cool.

PS I'll have some BIG sections off Maple you might be able to take in Oct at my dad's place. The base of the tree is HUGE and he's got no way to split it.

I usually don't have any trouble finding wood.. I sometimes follow the city or their contractors and load up when they are done or on lunch. I got 4 good loads of ash out of confederation park in Hamilton when they were cutting there in the spring. I don't know of anyone who would sell logs around here but that would be a good idea for the years where I couldn't scrounge enough.. Splitting it is a different thing, I usually rent a splitter once a year but I'd love to find a good used one..

Edited by pics

I have a gas powered splitter so thats not an issue. GBW....let me know when you want to drop the maple and i will give you a hand.

If anyone has a woodlot they would like some trees removed from, or dead standing hazard trees id be happy to come take them down for the wood as long as its not too far.

S.

I have a gas powered splitter so thats not an issue. GBW....let me know when you want to drop the maple and i will give you a hand.

If anyone has a woodlot they would like some trees removed from, or dead standing hazard trees id be happy to come take them down for the wood as long as its not too far.

S.

I will for sure

Check with the government forest ministry I believe. Many years ago we used to get a permit ($) to harvest trees that we not good for lumber but had to be cut. Near Bancroft I believe.

Huge pile of logs we cut them to fit a truck and loaded it up.

Have to be careful they are not neatly stacked and one of our boys had an accident. :(.