Texas Flooding.

DRIFTER_016

There's more than fish in that flood water. He may as well be swimming in an open septic pool. I was amazed to see all the rescues made by individuals that came from far off places with their Jon boats to rescue those unable to walk out. The folks sitting in hip deep water in a Nursing Home really hit me. The most vulnerable are our children and the elderly. I did have to chuckle though when I watched 2 good guys trying to get their deep V glass boat off the trailer in water just covering the bottom of truck tires. Later the CNN reporter was asking on behalf of authorities for those with "flat bottom" boats to come to the Houston area.

Thank God the hurricane didn't pan out as expected. Religious statement deleted.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL STATEMENT

POTUS just said in a press conference 15 minutes ago, "It is the greatest flood, a huge flood in the history of all the floods". I sure hope not. It's sure is bad, it is said the crest will not happen until Wednesday or Thursday. People still trapped on roof tops according to Houston's mayor as I type. Need more help from the Feds. I'll stop right there Art.

One of our local news channels says Houston got more rain in 72 hours than we have received in 9 months! It's hard to imagine that amount of rainfall for me.

Just saw some rainfall totals and the highest amount in that 72 hour time span was 39.25 inches!!!!

That's 999.96 mm of rain in 3 days!!!

Where are they going to go? Like most big cities many are working at minimum wage and many have no work at all. Canada's last modern age natural disaster was Ft. Mac. There are larger urban neighbourhoods in Houston that all of Fort McMurray. Imagine Toronto under 4 feet of water, I can't but it can happen, Hurricane Hazel, October 1954. If some of the younger guys here don't know much about it Google it. I was born that week while the Hurricane devastated southern Ontario. A warning of things to come? The Hamilton Hurricane's are named that for a reason.

Old, really no idea, but if business and industry stops investing in that area they will have to go somewhere? This is really nothing new?

http://www.wxresearch.com/almanac/houflood.html

By my count over 100 flooding events in that area since 1954? doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is insanity? Grant the scale is different, but suppose Global Warming is the new reality?

Any area of our countries can have a national disaster, but why put millions of people in an area known for them? and it would seem a lot of them don't even have flood insurance?

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2017/08/28/half-houston-homes-businesses-hit-by-flooding-may-be-uninsured.html

Old, really no idea, but if business and industry stops investing in that area they will have to go somewhere? This is really nothing new?

http://www.wxresearch.com/almanac/houflood.html

By my count over 100 flooding events in that area since 1954? doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is insanity? Grant the scale is different, but suppose Global Warming is the new reality?

Any area of our countries can have a national disaster, but why put millions of people in an area known for them? and it would seem a lot of them don't even have flood insurance?

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2017/08/28/half-houston-homes-businesses-hit-by-flooding-may-be-uninsured.html

The old way of doing things has come back to haunt us time and again. Houston has always been prone to flooding but as humans we think we can outsmart mother nature. Usually this comes back to bite us in the arse.. In Ontario we learned the hard way from hurricane Hazel where not to build..

It is reported that only 1 in 6 actually have flood insurance and I just heard on the radio that the storm has turned, is heading back to shore and expected to drop another 20+" of rain on the already flood areas. I wish I could get down there to help in some way, I feel so sorry for those that have lost everything, it must tare the heart right out of a person to watch everything you have worked so hard for destroyed like that!

Yah my heart goes out to all those poor folks.

Just a heads up. It might be a good time to fill up all you vehicles and gerry cans as it is expected that this storm will reek havoc on fuel prices. I think the word I heard was the 16% of the U.S. gas supply comes from that region. It will be some time before they are back up producing...

HH

"This is how Texans are dealing with looters. God Bless Texas!

Liberals heads would explode at this, but honestly these men are taking care of their neighborhood. They probably know everyone on their street and would protect them from unwelcome thieves. This actually frees up officers to patrol other areas."

21151195_333369893783485_803408275666227

"This is how Texans are dealing with looters. God Bless Texas!

Liberals heads would explode at this, but honestly these men are taking care of their neighborhood. They probably know everyone on their street and would protect them from unwelcome thieves. This actually frees up officers to patrol other areas."

21151195_333369893783485_803408275666227

Fully back it