Bad News, Something Else that has Invaded the Great Lakes

Fish Farmer

Buddy couldn't figure what he was marking on his finder, Was a couple feet thick.
So next time out he took his Aqua-View, dropped the camera down and couldn't believe his eyes, Billions of small shrimp.
So guys when you're out fishing Walleye and Perch, that cloud you see may not be bait, Minnows.
Click Below
http://www.invadingspecies.com/invaders/invertebrates/bloody-red-shrimp/

Edited by Fish Farmer

That's why the "bug" is so popular on Simcoe. But really Brian anything shiny and small enough for them to swallow will catch herring. They gotta be the dumbest fish in fresh water :canadian:

They drive me nuts when I'm drop shotting perch and I reel up into a school of herring, and they bite the drop shot weight and not the hook!!!

They drive me nuts when I'm drop shotting perch and I reel up into a school of herring, and they bite the drop shot weight and not the hook!!!

Respect the herring DAMIT. :Gonefishing:

Sorry Dave for the derail. but someone has to stand up for them smoked dried Herring lovers. :good:

Not a fan of invasive species, that one though could be a new food source for young fish?

Same but yeah it could be a good food source. Let's just hope that what the shrimp are eating isn't a 'take away' from another and causes a decline to population of fish in said lakes.

I have always liked shrimp looking and or coloured baits on the ice for pan fish...

My smallies get fat on gobies all fall. Same with the walleye fishery in PAB...i think its a direct reflection of the goby population.

My smallies get fat on gobies all fall. Same with the walleye fishery in PAB...i think its a direct reflection of the goby population.

For sure, I started fishing smallies with Dad out of Port Colborne in the late 50's , remember dad taking 3rd in a weekend bass derby probably around 1970 with a fish that just barely broke the 4 pound mark. Since the gobies, a 4 pounder and twoonie will get you a cup of coffee.

For sure, I started fishing smallies with Dad out of Port Colborne in the late 50's , remember dad taking 3rd in a weekend bass derby probably around 1970 with a fish that just barely broke the 4 pound mark. Since the gobies, a 4 pounder and twoonie will get you a cup of coffee.

i follow a guy on twitter that just won an erie tourney with a bloody 28lb bag...ridiculous

I am sure gobies have helped here but there were big smallies in Lake Erie before they became common? We used to consider it a bad day back in the 1970's if we didn't get at least one 5#er. Fish eat fish? Gobies are small and everything bigger is probably eating them? Walleyes, pike, and even sheephead?

In my younger days I remember catching perch at PAB that were full of crawfish, so every little bit of food helps? A local tackle shop owner and competitive bass fisherman here has been fishing the Lake Erie tournaments for decades, a good day weather wise and a good bite might mean a 30 pound limit for a win, it's really not a new thing?

Glen Lau, a former Lake Erie guide and writer had pictures of huge schools of Erie smallies he took while diving back in the 1960's, people just weren't fishing for them then except during the spring bite. When I had my bigger boat back in the early 1980's in the Erie island area every charter captain at the marina seemed to have a stringer mount of a limit of 4-6 pound smallies.

every charter captain at the marina seemed to have a stringer mount of a limit of 4-6 pound smallies.

thats what nearly destroyed all of our fisheries in the 1980's

although i honest feel like within the last 10 years we have really turned the corner. Aside from the story in nippising where a commerical fishery has destroyed the fishery...most lakes seem to be recovering nicely and in large part its due to the tighter regulations in place and the exponentially growing sentiment towards C&R practices.

Ohio you fished PAB back in the day, word has it that the walleye fishery on GB is the best its been in 40 years...and im gonna say that I believe it.

No one is fishing smallies out there, but their numbers are ridiculous as well.

thats what nearly destroyed all of our fisheries in the 1980's

although i honest feel like within the last 10 years we have really turned the corner. Aside from the story in nippising where a commerical fishery has destroyed the fishery...most lakes seem to be recovering nicely and in large part its due to the tighter regulations in place and the exponentially growing sentiment towards C&R practices.

Ohio you fished PAB back in the day, word has it that the walleye fishery on GB is the best its been in 40 years...and im gonna say that I believe it.

No one is fishing smallies out there, but their numbers are ridiculous as well.

I remember for a lot of years in the 60's and 70's there was a big commercial fishing boat ( netter) that was at the public dock by Kennedy's, I am sure that had an effect? I didn't see it there in the 80's as I recall.

Opening of the walleye season and late fall used to be about the only time you saw walleyes being caught, it was a rough go any other time, although for me it changed in the mid 80's, I got them during mid summer when I bothered to fish for them.

My dad and one of my uncles went to PAB for the opener in the 60's, my uncle got 3 walleye all week, dad got the skunk, but my uncles 3 walleye went around 25 pounds, one was around 10 3/4 pounds. They were around but limited numbers? and concentrated pre and post spawn?

Man....why can't we get something cool....like an edible crab, or lobster...or marlin :). Al we get is stupid gobies shrimp and carp.

Don't tell anyone, but the last time we vacationed in Florida I brought back several blue marlin in my cooler and let them go in Lake Ontario. It's just a matter of time now.... :)

Don't tell anyone, but the last time we vacationed in Florida I brought back several blue marlin in my cooler and let them go in Lake Ontario. It's just a matter of time now.... :)

heard they are getting big returns in the ganaraska...swimming right up stream with all of the atlantics

heard they are getting big returns in the ganaraska...swimming right up stream with all of the atlantics

I don't care that much about the blue marlin, although a great catch and release fish for Lake Ontario. What I'm really waiting on is the blue fin tuna I stocked in the lake. Those babies will pay off big time once they reach the 300-500 lb mark. Japanese love these fish for sushi and one fish can get you $150,000 or more . . . :thumbsup_anim: