Your "GO TO LURE"

GBW

That would be awesome! Hopefully you can visit someday soon brotha!

Id be down to help as well but im pretty sure sunset country doesnt have any lures that arent available to people in southern ontario.

Ironically the tackle shops here suck pretty bad.

Thinking Feb for some ice eyes?

My fav and can not find any more as l lost my last one on a 33in pic was a beno 4 jointed eel :wallbash: wish l could still get them.. but no way :dunno:

I have at least one of those somewhere, and at least one single joint one. Those and a frog coloured flatfish used to be my go to smallmouth lure.

Edited by kickingfrog

My fav and can not find any more as l lost my last one on a 33in pic was a beno 4 jointed eel :wallbash: wish l could still get them.. but no way :dunno:

Mill Run Products that used to make the Beno's was located in Cleveland, they either closed or sold out years ago.

http://images.ulib.csuohio.edu/cdm/ref/collection/press/id/4864

If I could only use 1 lure the rest of my life it would be a Mepps Black Fury with yellow dots in #4. I've caught everything from panfish to a Tiger Musky going 39". They will work for anything that swims I swear. If on foreign waters I tie on that lure if I have talked to no locals or those that have fished there. I have caught Jacks to Snook on it in Florida. I brought 1 with me to Japan and caught what looked like a type of Bull Head.

If I were to name a second all purpose lure it has to be a floating Rappala black on silver flake belly 10cm.

Third is a list too long for this thread. But Readers Digest version go to lures if I could only bring 1 bait for the species:

• Dark Tubes for Erie Smallies
  • Spinner Baits for Large Mouth
  • Drop Shot and Berkley Powerbait for Perch
  • Worm Harnesses for Erie Walleye
  • Little Cleo for Salmonoids
  • Red/Chrome Daredevils for Pike, 5 of Diamonds 2nd choice

Or 1 #4 Black Fury for every fish.

That's about what I have fished for the last 8 years and if I could only bring 1 lure for each species that's what I would bring. Why I bring 8 trays and a full Tackle Mate box of plugs, spinners, a few freezer bags of plastic, a few trays of jigs in every colour, style and size and spoons of all types your guess is as good as mine. If Yogi Berra was a fisherman he might say " If you never need it you might got it".

I often find myself staring with a dumbfounded look on my face into a deep dark cornucopia of tackle not being able to choose. Ever do that?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Mill Run Products that used to make the Beno's was located in Cleveland, they either closed or sold out years ago.

http://images.ulib.csuohio.edu/cdm/ref/collection/press/id/4864

I know they were bought by a company Lure Jensen l believe years back and they discontinued them.. closest l come too is by Canadian Wiggler but no where near as good

My go-to bait on the lakes I fish is a texas rigged craw. For 5 maybe 6 summers now we have done awesome with one called the 3.5" Texas-Rig Jig. We texas rig it, put a 3/8-3/4oz tungsten weight above it and I pitch it to slop edges, pads, weed lines or wood on the bank. Bait fishes like a jig yet is weedless like a senko. Probably my (go-to) when going slow down any pick apart any kind of cover.

I run multiple plastics and jig rods for pitching, flipping and punching....different weights etc...The best way to consistently put big fish in the boat.

MTBF

This year was the year of the blue and silver 2oz Cleo.

To the point it got to be a running joke with my family and fishing friends this past year.

Steelhead, Lake trout, Coho, Walleye, Yellow perch, Smallmouth Bass, and Pike.

The "big fish" story" was my personal best 42" pike at camp on Manitoulin in June.

The big girl followed a slow moving 7" jointed rap up to the boat twice before retreating to her personal weed lair.

On a lark and a laugh, I grabbed a lighter rod that had "the Cleo" on, 6lb test tied direct, that had taken numerous smallies that morning.

Of course,the strike occurred as soon as the spoon "plopped".

Three times it ran about 60 yards down the bay and then came back to hide under the boat. Each time my 85 year old father in law jumping like a monkey in the front of tinny to scare her out from under.

His net job, while breathtakingly crude, proved effective. We jumped out on shore, I handed him the camera, to which he held lens first- backwards to his eye and tried to frame a portrait of me and she. I sighed, handed him the fish in trade for the camera , and snapped a quick picture of the proud old angler. He then released her with a satisfied smile on his face, and watched as she swam away.

Mine's a black or white spinnerbait. 70% of the time I'm throwing one of these, and I've caught everything on them.

Same as above, to the point where my friends who know me just say "do I even have to ask what you caught it on?"

I fish new lakes a lot, and I love how they let me cover a lot of ground, and will catch any kind of fish. Other 25% of the time its a black or white grub, in 4" size. Same reason.