2019-2020 Hockey Thread

1 hour ago, jerpears1 said:

Man, you guys love a sure bet eh? In the playoffs anything can happen. 

2 years ago Chicago got knocked off by Nashville in the first round (1 vs 8  ) 

and Montreal lost to New York (2 vs 7)

The year before that same with Nashville knocking off Anaheim and the Islanders knocking off Florida. 

Every year there is a team that everyone says 'can't be beat. Greatest team ever'. People thought washington was going to score 10 goals a game and steamroll everyone for years. Pittsburgh is too good and will be a dynasty for years. Chicago has all the players, the team didn't change.

And then some team that worked its ass off to get into the playoffs and made in on the last day outworks the team for 7 games and surprises everyone because the top team expected an automatic 'bye' into the Stanley Cup finals. It happens every year. 

I could be wrong on this and they may not even end up facing each other, Montreal may not make the playoffs and Tampa may be the juggernaut everyone says they are............. but I don't think so.  We'll have much to talk about come April on this topic. 

your consistent argument is that Nashville kept knocking people out...oh wait...could it be that Nasvhille is a perennial cup contender? A team that is heavy in defensive talent, has incredible depth and can score when it counts?

discounting a team with a good goalie and an even better d core when the playoffs comes is a recipe for disaster.

Hence why my confidence isnt high for the leafs deep in later rounds.I am not confident in the likes of hainsey and zaitsev to get the job done. The one thing that they are by far and away the best at in the entire NHL is forward depth. The problem comes when someone gets injured it changes the entire make up of their forward line ups. Hence why you see them shopping heavily for a 3rd line winger at the moment. 

They are an absolute matchup nightmare for any team including tampa, the third line that they carry is totally unparalleled in the entire NHL to a ridiculous extent. Luckily the playoffs are the exact time of year when 3rd and 4th line guys make the biggest difference. Its impossible to ride a top line in the third round when you play every second night. You need your 3rd and 4th line guys to contribute big minutes. 

Notice how tampa absolutely steamrolled boston in the second round last year? They matched up just fine with the bergeron line, and then their D men were capable of performing zone exits unlike toronto who was relying on hainsey and polak to try and get the puck out.

Once they had that solved...boston had absolutely no answer for the kucherov line, and still dont. 

Comparing Boston's 3rd line to Toronto or bostons second line to Tampas is a joke

Bostons second line

debrusk krejci and karson kuhlmen????

VS 

Gourde Johnson and Kucherov! are you kidding me?

how about third lines?

Bostons third line

Nordstrom Frederic and backes

VS

Johnsson Kadri and Nylander

lmao give me those match ups any day of the week.

Back on the Habs...the one and only reason they are dangerous is because they have a goalie that when capable is quite literally the best goalie in the entire world. What iteration you get of him come playoff time will determine montreals fate. 

They rode him to a conference final not so long ago! They still have absolutely no one playing for them, but a hot goalie is a hot goalie.

Edited by AKRISONER

11 hours ago, jerpears1 said:

They aren't taking the division spots from Toronto or Boston, that first round matchup is pretty much set in stone, 

no way it's set in stone, there's 20+ games left, the Leafs have been trending downwards, after Saturday the habs could be 1 point behind the Leafs

funny how the talk in the media is the Leafs have to add toughness and grit, it's far too late, you can't do this with a deadline trade or two, you have to build your team around the mentality that toughness is important, that ship has sailed, this is probably the softest team in Leafs history

I would way prefer to have Matt Martin on the ice instead of pylons Gauthier or Marleau

Tom Wilson showed his worth tonight, on and off the scoreboard.

I'm not going to quote Akrisoner's post because it would be way too long and would miss my point but this is my response now that I've had my coffee and a little sleep.

It seems like everyone has a little 'recency bias' that are countering my argument about the Habs.

If I mention Calgary in 04', Edmonton in 06', Anaheim in 09',  Montreal in 10', or LA in 12' then it was too long ago and the game has changed. 

If I mention Nashville in 2016. 2017 then its 'they were a good team' (despite the fact they came 7th and 8th in the regular season respectively and were just a few points out from missing the playoffs all together.

My point is that a team can get hot at the right time and that a goalie that has potential to be stellar (Price) with just a few defensive pieces that have picked up their game (Webber) have the potential to steal a series or two. This isn't the NBA or NCAA where 1 always beats 8 (or 16). Its what I love about the NHL. Anyone who gets in has a shot and there is no sure thing. 

If Montreal gets into the playoffs and wins round 1 against Tampa or Washington or New York everyone will say 'Price got hot. The other teams underestimated them. The Habs got on a streak at the right time.' But those things happen all the time. 

Just don't hand the Stanley Cup over to Tampa because they look like the best team on paper. A lot is going to happen between now and June when they hand out the trophy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chris.brock said:

this is probably the softest team in Leafs history

This is why I find it hard to watch them at times. When a player got taken advantage, everyone knew there was going to be pay back. The buzz was in the crowd, just waiting.    Like said before, this team will get knocked around and nothing can or will be done. Sad really.

56 minutes ago, misfish said:

This is why I find it hard to watch them at times. When a player got taken advantage, everyone knew there was going to be pay back. The buzz was in the crowd, just waiting.    Like said before, this team will get knocked around and nothing can or will be done. Sad really.

exactly my point since the beginning of the year !!!!!!

10 minutes ago, Jds63 said:

exactly my point since the beginning of the year !!!!!!

2010 was a great Leafs team.  No one wanted to play them.  Orr, McLaren, Brown, Fraser.  Man those boys were fun to watch.   We need a little bit of that toughness back. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BillM said:

2010 was a great Leafs team.  No one wanted to play them.  Orr, McLaren, Brown, Fraser.  Man those boys were fun to watch.   We need a little bit of that toughness back. 

We didn't win a ton of games, but I loved watching that team, the only team that would match up was the BBs, Thorton,  Lucic, Chara, Horton,  McQuaid and probably a couple other neanderthals I forgot 

Edited by chris.brock

you guys are talking about the juggernaut bolts, they haven't faltered all season but they easily could, and at the most inopportune time, they didn't even make the playoffs 2 years ago, I don't think they have an edge on the Jets, Caps, Preds etc

pisses me off, they're lucky too, Kucherov and Point are 58 and 79th place draft picks, just dumb, blind luck

sad, but nobody cares about them down in Tampa, I had inlaws down there, in the newspaper sports section there would be a tiny blurb about the bolts game, everything else was all college and pro stuff of every other sport, at the games there would be a bunch of weirdos with Lecavalier jerseys, then mostly Leaf jerseys 

Edited by chris.brock

Im embarrassed to admit that at the end of the first period i texted my buddy and said...this reminds me of the old leafs...Is this really happening?

And then sure as poop just like every other time I have felt like "this is the old leafs the up 4-1 leafs" they prove me wrong. 

This team seems to have that "clutch" that ability to score and be the team that when the other team has the lead their fans are terrified. 

I spent so many damn years watching the leafs blow big leads, where if they were winning by 2 goals you know they might totally blow it. Or if they got up to an early lead the other team used to always score before the end of the second period to give them that momentum going into the 3rd.

Feels good to finally be on the other side of things for once. Let me remind everyone it wasnt just a come from behind and tie it and win in overtime game. They score 6...yes 6 unanswered goals in 2 periods of play. When the leafs feel confident and are playing well, they are scary. Its a matter of getting the full 60 out of them and having everyone rolling at the same time. Hopefully the playoffs brings that out of them. I dont think theres a team in the NHL that wants to try and defend them when they are really moving. Montreal had been playing some pretty damn good hockey but like my previous post said, the depth absolutely killed montreal on Saturday. Shaw had 2 points and was a -3! its great that montreal has some grinders that can chip in offensively but you cant seriously expect a guy like Shaw to try and keep up with Matthews. Or domi to somehow outplay John Tavares...its just not going to happen.

For as much flak as Nylander has taken this season, he finally has his wheels under him again and the 3rd line matchups hes facing regularly is making him look even faster than he already is. Hes like a wind up toy, they give him the puck in the defensive end and he just skates through everyone and creates chances and nobody on the defending team's third line has a hope in hell in keeping up with him. 

The flashes of brilliance are everywhere, they just need the consistency and full effort for 60 minutes a night.

oh...and the whole "someones gonna run marner talk" no...no one is...the league just suspended connor mcdavid for 2 games for a hit. The NHL has changed. time to get your mind outta the 90's, they were a quarter of a century ago. I know im guilty too, i think the 90's were 10 years ago...1994 is the difference between 1974 and the year 2000...think about that for a second.

Edited by AKRISONER

26 minutes ago, jerpears1 said:

I loved how the Habs players were trash talking until the game turned around. Nylander playing the hockey stick like a violin was priceless with Tavares plugging his ears with his gloves. 

Moral of the story: Never trash talk until the final buzzer goes. No game is truly over. 

Pretty sure that was Kap playing the violin, lol!  

the intensity of JT was awesome....

like If I am playing hockey in a game against john tavares...he is quite literally the last guy on the entire team that I would want to make mad...much like crosby, they are the kind of guys that if you get them mad...it doesnt work in your favour they are just too good and will then impose their will on you.

A narrative that hasnt come out yet but will...JT in the playoffs, hes a point a game player historically. 

My buddy works weird shifts and stayed up to watch the game.

He was not impressed with the score @ the end of the first.

I said there's still two periods to go, no problem.

He didn't believe in a comeback and went to bed.

????

You can't count this team out.

They have the talent to make a comeback in a heartbeat.  ❤️

oh...and the whole "someones gonna run marner talk" no...no one is...the league just suspended connor mcdavid for 2 games for a hit. The NHL has changed. time to get your mind outta the 90's, they were a quarter of a century ago.

hey  Akri … not running Marner, but finishing checks … I'm sure you know that the playoffs is a different beast … I'm not talking dirty headshots but it’s a ground and pound in the corners , guys play with an edge every shift , with animosity , refs will let more slide unless it’s a blatant dirty shot or scoring chance denied … forecheks will be relentless

you know the Leafs bowed out in the first round the last 2 years …  some say they were out hustled and out muscled .. I agree

Talent and speed wise they look great, better than last year ? most definitely ….

Leaf fans are cautiously optimistic that things will be different this year in the playoffs…  no one wants to say they maybe  "Soft" … but we shall see 

Edited by Jds63