2019-2020 Hockey Thread

2 hours ago, Jds63 said:

oh...and the whole "someones gonna run marner talk" no...no one is...the league just suspended connor mcdavid for 2 games for a hit. The NHL has changed. time to get your mind outta the 90's, they were a quarter of a century ago.

hey  Akri … not running Marner, but finishing checks … I'm sure you know that the playoffs is a different beast … I'm not talking dirty headshots but it’s a ground and pound in the corners , guys play with an edge every shift , with animosity , refs will let more slide unless it’s a blatant dirty shot or scoring chance denied … forecheks will be relentless

you know the Leafs bowed out in the first round the last 2 years …  some say they were out hustled and out muscled .. I agree

Talent and speed wise they look great, better than last year ? most definitely ….

Leaf fans are cautiously optimistic that things will be different this year in the playoffs…  no one wants to say they maybe  "Soft" … but we shall see 

going in and grinding in the corners has never been marner's game, nor should it be. Hes a puck handler and skater, not a dump and chase kind of player. No doubt guys finish checks, but Marner was Toronto's best player in the playoffs last year. Hes gonna be fine, no one is going to run him and concuss him like they did back in the 90's just to try get the guy outta the game. That kinda crap is dying quick, its not worth cheap shotting someone if you yourself miss the entire series due to a suspension. Look at what happened to Kadri last year.

On that exact note, I have no idea why everyone still to this day has forgotten about the fact that the leafs didnt have Kadri (he was suspended 4 games in the first 5 minutes of game 1) and no John Tavares. Or Jake muzzin for that fact. Yet somehow they still took Boston to 7. Boston is almost identical this year except subtract Rick Nash from their line up. Also add another year to Chara's career. 

Please take time to consider the fact that the leafs were relying on Bozak to centre the second line while Plekenec was centering the third line. Thats a serious far cry from John Tavares Auston Matthews and Nazem Kadri.

Oh and guess who was playing second pairing D? Jake Gardiner and Roman bloody Polak lmao. Boston exposed Polak and Hainsey all series. Hainsey is still around so yes thats a bit of a weakness, but Rielly has improved and now your second D pairing is Muzzin and Dermott...those are some very serious changes for the leafs. Quite literally the only take away was JVR.

on another note

1 hour ago, muskymatt said:

Well that's it for me, the Sens and hockey are officially dead to me.

What a pathetic joke of an organization!

?

This is pure comedy gold...we tried to warn the guy but we all knew he was a bandwagon jumper from the get go lol. What team will he jump to next...my bet is on Winnipeg.

Ottawa is quite literally the perfect example of how false confidence in a bad team can equal the death of your franchise or damn close there to it.

Thank god the leafs lost that series to boston back in the day when they blew the 4-1 lead. All of the underlying numbers said that the leafs were lucky to even be in the playoffs. If they won that series there was basically 0 doubt that Nonis was going to do absolutely nothing but leverage to future the next season in order to try and win the cup with a mediocre franchise.

Instead they lost...and then subsequently missed the playoffs the following year.

The tank commenced and the Shannaplan began. 3 years after the boston series the leafs selected Auston Matthews first overall and the rest is history.

The story of the sens is hilarious...They were a barely above .500 team (4 games) but got helped along immensely by the NHL's loser point. They made the playoffs despite maintaining a negative goal differential and relied on a neutral zone trap system to beat teams by 1 goal a game.

Their goalie got extremely hot and incredibly their trap system got them to the conference finals, where a far better Pittsburgh team solved the trap riddle and put the sens to bed.

Sens management and ownership thinking they had a contender worthy team leveraged the entire farm and franchise when after a summer of watching game tape, every coach in the NHL solved the riddle to the sens trap, their goaltending returned to its mediocre self and the franchise collapsed with their false hope.

I honestly personally dont believe that Ottawa survives this rebuild. I dont think Melnyk truly cares to spend $100,000,000 a year for the next 4 years to watch a team do absolutely nothing. Technically the sens should be well on their way to a rebuild this year because they should have tkchuk and hughes...except they gave away the first overall jack hughes away for a 20th overall draft pick lmao...brutal

Edited by AKRISONER

54 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

going in and grinding in the corners has never been marner's game, nor should it be. Hes a puck handler and skater, not a dump and chase kind of player. No doubt guys finish checks, but Marner was Toronto's best player in the playoffs last year. Hes gonna be fine, no one is going to run him and concuss him like they did back in the 90's just to try get the guy outta the game. That kinda crap is dying quick, its not worth cheap shotting someone if you yourself miss the entire series due to a suspension. Look at what happened to Kadri last year.

On that exact note, I have no idea why everyone still to this day has forgotten about the fact that the leafs didnt have Kadri (he was suspended 4 games in the first 5 minutes of game 1) and no John Tavares. Or Jake muzzin for that fact. Yet somehow they still took Boston to 7. Boston is almost identical this year except subtract Rick Nash from their line up. Also add another year to Chara's career. 

Please take time to consider the fact that the leafs were relying on Bozak to centre the second line while Plekenec was centering the third line. Thats a serious far cry from John Tavares Auston Matthews and Nazem Kadri.

Oh and guess who was playing second pairing D? Jake Gardiner and Roman bloody Polak lmao. Boston exposed Polak and Hainsey all series. Hainsey is still around so yes thats a bit of a weakness, but Rielly has improved and now your second D pairing is Muzzin and Dermott...those are some very serious changes for the leafs. Quite literally the only take away was JVR.

on another note

This is pure comedy gold...we tried to warn the guy but we all knew he was a bandwagon jumper from the get go lol. What team will he jump to next...my bet is on Winnipeg.

Ottawa is quite literally the perfect example of how false confidence in a bad team can equal the death of your franchise or damn close there to it.

Thank god the leafs lost that series to boston back in the day when they blew the 4-1 lead. All of the underlying numbers said that the leafs were lucky to even be in the playoffs. If they won that series there was basically 0 doubt that Nonis was going to do absolutely nothing but leverage to future the next season in order to try and win the cup with a mediocre franchise.

Instead they lost...and then subsequently missed the playoffs the following year.

The tank commenced and the Shannaplan began. 3 years after the boston series the leafs selected Auston Matthews first overall and the rest is history.

The story of the sens is hilarious...They were a barely above .500 team (4 games) but got helped along immensely by the NHL's loser point. They made the playoffs despite maintaining a negative goal differential and relied on a neutral zone trap system to beat teams by 1 goal a game.

Their goalie got extremely hot and incredibly their trap system got them to the conference finals, where a far better Pittsburgh team solved the trap riddle and put the sens to bed.

Sens management and ownership thinking they had a contender worthy team leveraged the entire farm and franchise when after a summer of watching game tape, every coach in the NHL solved the riddle to the sens trap, their goaltending returned to its mediocre self and the franchise collapsed with their false hope.

I honestly personally dont believe that Ottawa survives this rebuild. I dont think Melnyk truly cares to spend $100,000,000 a year for the next 4 years to watch a team do absolutely nothing. Technically the sens should be well on their way to a rebuild this year because they should have tkchuk and hughes...except they gave away the first overall jack hughes away for a 20th overall draft pick lmao...brutal

Probably Boston! 

Lmao

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

the sens had attendance problems before, who's gonna go to a game now after the roster was gutted?

a disgusting, embarrassment to Canadian hockey 

and the Aves will get Jack Hughes, what an epic disaster

You know what the difference is between the Leafs and the Sens? When this happened to us we still supported the team....... except Matt. He fled. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jerpears1 said:

You know what the difference is between the Leafs and the Sens? When this happened to us we still supported the team....... except Matt. He fled. 

I'm critical because I want them to win every game and I'm pissed when they loose, but I'm in it for the long haul, I've been through the lean years, always bled blue, I'm not going anywhere, even if I never see a cup

I can't grasp fleeing, I don't get it, the Leafs are like family to me 

8 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Man the crowd at to nights game sucks!!!!

Get off your hands ya lazy bunch of bastages.

The only thing that's good about them being so quiet is you can really hear the players skates on the ice. :)

they always suck, they don't deserve their tickets

the crowd in St  Louis put us to shame

It's a soap opera and it's a train wreck, a total mess, the GM throwing players under bus after they're gone? 

I wouldn't care, and bettman doesn't care, but this is a reflection on Canadian hockey and it's unheard of, it's disgusting, embarrassing and an absolute disgrace for Canada

the powers that be, please move this team

9 hours ago, chris.brock said:

It's a soap opera and it's a train wreck, a total mess, the GM throwing players under bus after they're gone? 

I wouldn't care, and bettman doesn't care, but this is a reflection on Canadian hockey and it's unheard of, it's disgusting, embarrassing and an absolute disgrace for Canada

the powers that be, please move this team

He needs to keep looking down to read it since Eugene wrote it. What a puppet. 

12 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Man the crowd at to nights game sucks!!!!

Get off your hands ya lazy bunch of bastages.

The only thing that's good about them being so quiet is you can really hear the players skates on the ice. :)

Like what Chris Brock said. We get put to shame by Chicago, Detroit. Its pretty bad.

The big thing they do in Detroit that I wish the did here is an hour before the game they release a stack of tickets that are lower bowl standing room only for $30 a ticket. You can only buy 2 per person (to prevent resale) and its first come first serve. Allows some of the diehards to get into the game and inject some life into the building and lower bowl. Its sad in Toronto really. Its a boardroom to some, not a hockey arena.

8 minutes ago, jerpears1 said:

Like what Chris Brock said. We get put to shame by Chicago, Detroit. Its pretty bad.

The big thing they do in Detroit that I wish the did here is an hour before the game they release a stack of tickets that are lower bowl standing room only for $30 a ticket. You can only buy 2 per person (to prevent resale) and its first come first serve. Allows some of the diehards to get into the game and inject some life into the building and lower bowl. Its sad in Toronto really. Its a boardroom to some, not a hockey arena.

The organization doesn't give 2 squirts about its fan base so I'm embarrassed for fans that care so much about something that doesn't give back. Laughable but fill your boots.

1 hour ago, misfish said:

Also, Freddy is starting to scare me a bit. Seems up high on him is going in a lot. This IMO, is a big concern.

I've been paying attention to Freddy lately and for all the praise he gets, he could be so much better.

He makes stupendous saves basically every night, and the ones that end up in the net are completely stoppable and simple goals (for the most part)

I know many laffs fans who bailed after years of blind dedication to the team. Sens management has to go, how many times have you laffites said that about the  laffs management...?????  A lot!

Changing the subject....I was going through some old stuff and found an old photograph I was given by Frank Mahovlich. It says "To Matt Best wishes Frank Mahovlich and is signed.....not a copy...it's the real deal.

Anyway, where this is going is I hate the laffs and have no use for it. If one of you diehard laffites want it, it's yours free. I will even mail it to you N/C.

20190226_173413.thumb.jpg.ffa5e1954c2826d781156cfc9267aa7f.jpg

2 hours ago, muskymatt said:

I know many laffs fans who bailed after years of blind dedication to the team. Sens management has to go, how many times have you laffites said that about the  laffs management...?????  A lot!

Changing the subject....I was going through some old stuff and found an old photograph I was given by Frank Mahovlich. It says "To Matt Best wishes Frank Mahovlich and is signed.....not a copy...it's the real deal.

Anyway, where this is going is I hate the laffs and have no use for it. If one of you diehard laffites want it, it's yours free. I will even mail it to you N/C.

20190226_173413.thumb.jpg.ffa5e1954c2826d781156cfc9267aa7f.jpg

I would actually love to have this... My dad has a collection of old leafs stuff and this would be a great addition, too bad his name is Bill and not Matt, though ?

Edited by leaf4

12 hours ago, misfish said:

It was pretty loud in Toronto when the habs scored. I couldn't believe it.

believe it, there's tons of them, lurking among us here in Ontario, they are typically miserable, social misfits

a lure maker posted on FB wearing the toilet bowl jersey sitting in the ACC for a game, that's like flying a foreign flag in the homeland, my blood was boiling, the ACC people are lame, someone should have promptly fed those guys their jerseys through their f-k eye socket

23 hours ago, misfish said:

It was pretty loud in Toronto when the habs scored. I couldn't believe it.

18 hours ago, misfish said:

Also, Freddy is starting to scare me a bit. Seems up high on him is going in a lot. This IMO, is a big concern.

Misfish says he is not a Habs fan but he sure smells like one. :)