Some people are stupid.

Dave Bailey

From the Cobourg Police web site:

April 23, 2016 - A/Sgt Mike Richardson Fisherman Assaulted

At 11:54 pm, on Saturday night the 22nd of April, 2016, Officers from the Cobourg Police Service responded to an Assault in Progress at the Cobourg Creek. People along the creek were setting up for fishing season which opened at midnight; a group of males became irate and argumentative over where to stand along the creek side. As a result of a heated argument, a suspect male assaulted another male who was also attempting to situate himself along the creek.

As a result of the Police investigation, the following suspect male was arrested and charged with Assault contrary to the Criminal Code:

30 year old, John Stiles of Cobourg, Ontario

The accused male was released on Appearance Notice with a Court Date of 25 May 2016.

Any questions may be directed to the Cobourg Police Service by calling 905-372-6821.

Happens all the time! Sometimes people from outside the area think they can just move right in and take over.

lets look at it from the locals perspective:

I live here, I pay my taxes here, I would like to come down and fish off my dock. I get there and there are 5 or 6 other boats of (obviously not people from the area) anchored 25' off my dock and casting into my dock. I'd like to fish but they are making it difficult because they are casting across my line or just being rude!

Do I have more right to be here? Do you have any right to interfear in my privacy and what I pay extra in taxes for? I pay an assement on $1285.00 per extra feet of shore line for every foot of shore line I have. Give me a little respect and I'll give you some, give me attituade and I'll give you some of that too!

The problem here is. And it was discussed before. Do people who own water from property have more rights then others to use the water in front of there property. And the answer is NO

On person went on to say how he saved for years and worked had to get this piece of heaven only to have boaters screw it up for them.

I explained that I saved and worked hard to buy my house and each day and night skateboarders run back and forth on the sidewalk right along my house yelling and playing music and the noise of the wheels. Shouldn't I have the right to get rid of them The answer is no. I suck it up. You can do the same.

You got it. I live on a street where one side is no parking. Every day the guy across the street parks right in front of my house, 3 feet from the end of my driveway. I can hardly ever park in front of my house if I want to clear the driveway for a project cause that guy is always there. I have to park down the steet because to the left of where he parks, another neighbour who only has room for 2 cars puts his also. Beside that there is a hydrant, so that's out. It's in front of my house so it should be available to me right?? No chance, public street. I'm just glad I live in an older neighbourhood or it'd be even worse. People fish our dock also, they also fish constantly in the bay beside our cottage. Public waterway, time to deal with it, all taxes aside. We do. Be glad you can afford to live on the water to start with.

Its tough. They have the right to do what they want but its a respect and curtsy thing.

I keep saying, my buddy's place on Quinte, we have no boat. We have about a 30ft radius to fish and thats it. Can people come up, park their boat right off the dock and cast over our lines? Sure they can, its totally allowed by law. But its a dick move. I don't know whatever happened to people being good Samaritans anymore.

Just because people CAN do something doesn't mean they should. When I'm at the cottage fishing if I'm casting docks I stay well away from the ones where I see people near their waterfront. There's lots of spots to fish, respect people and give them space.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Fisherpete

Just because people CAN do something doesn't mean they should. When I'm at the cottage fishing if I'm casting docks I stay well away from the ones where I see people near their waterfront. There's lots of spots to fish, respect people and give them space.

Just my opinion.

???

Happens all the time! Sometimes people from outside the area think they can just move right in and take over.

lets look at it from the locals perspective:

I live here, I pay my taxes here, I would like to come down and fish off my dock. I get there and there are 5 or 6 other boats of (obviously not people from the area) anchored 25' off my dock and casting into my dock. I'd like to fish but they are making it difficult because they are casting across my line or just being rude!

Do I have more right to be here? Do you have any right to interfear in my privacy and what I pay extra in taxes for? I pay an assement on $1285.00 per extra feet of shore line for every foot of shore line I have. Give me a little respect and I'll give you some, give me attituade and I'll give you some of that too!

You have five or six boats at once, casting at your dock?

Wow.

That is quite a dock you have there Mr Big Cliff!!! :)

Its tough. They have the right to do what they want but its a respect and curtsy thing.

I keep saying, my buddy's place on Quinte, we have no boat. We have about a 30ft radius to fish and thats it. Can people come up, park their boat right off the dock and cast over our lines? Sure they can, its totally allowed by law. But its a dick move. I don't know whatever happened to people being good Samaritans anymore.

To me it would depend on who's there first.

If your already there fishing than they should keep moving to another place.

If they are there first they have every right to be there. After a reasonable time maybe a friendly response from you will go a long way in having them move on.

Come flying out of the cottage the moment they pull up & starting to rant and rave will surely make the situation go down hill.

You have five or six boats at once, casting at your dock?

Wow.

That is quite a dock you have there Mr Big Cliff!!! :)

Not my dock LOL, but there are a couple of places on the lake that I know very well where when the crappie bite is on the locals have a really hard time because people have gone so far as to even tie up to their dock.

In one case the "fisherman" even got out of the boat, walked up to the cottage and had a dump right beside the owners propane tanks. That is totally uncalled for.

If someone wants to cast my docks the only thing I ask is that they don't bounce lures off my boat and if you do get snagged please try to not leave hooks where one of the kids could step on it. other than that if I'm down there I usually say hi and ask how the fishing has been.

Just my opinion.

???

My fishing buddy lives on an island that has a boat launch at the end of the road...people launch and park right in private driveways, they parked on his lawn once and got rude when he asked them to not park on his lawn...as if, hey, there is a boat launch..where do you expect me to park...township posted all the roads in the area no parking and issued lots of tickets. Problem is gone now but also nobody can launch there either because the is no place to park. A bit of respect goes a long way, none ruins it for everybody