Ranger Boats - NF

There's always a lot of conversation about boats, the costs, warranties, etc. and thought I'd share this because as a Ranger customer and fan of their products, I thought fellow boat owners would find it interesting.

On another site I frequent, there is a post from a guy that owns a 1998 Ranger with a 225hp on it. Not sure if he bought it new but 18 years later, he is having a transom issue. When he stands on the outboards lower end, the transom flexes 1/4". Not good, serious repair money. He contacted Ranger and they said, drop it off next week and we'll fix it, no charge. Failures like this don't happen very often and is likely due to the way the boat got treated but it amazes me that they'll do that for a customer.

I think they might have that pultruded transom which was supposed to be bulletproof.

Good on them for following through regardless ...that's what u want when u pay a premium for a boat even buying used.

"Oh u didn't buy it directly new from us? Can't help you" only hurts them in the long run.

It's a "limited" lifetime warranty from StarCraft on the hull and structure. Just as is for Lund. Like house shingles the depreciation is huge.

The trick is they build them right, from the start, and have very few warrantee issues.

Mine is bullet proof.

S.

I run a 1989 Ranger and it has been flawless in the build department. I chose that year because they changed the pad in 1990 for a smaller wet surface. I have been out in some nasty weather and have not felt scared and with upgraded seats my back has not been jammed even riding the caps of the waves. ( the factory seats back then where 2" foam on plywood). The only thing I dislike is gas was cheap back then and the original motor is a 6 carb 150 2 stroke that burns 4/5th of a gallon a minute at full throttle. I looked into changing it out but at $11000.00 plus for a new motor I think I will wait till it blows up some year in the future. lol

Art

I perceive Starcraft to be below Lund, Princecraft, alumacraft and Crestliner. That's my perception not fact - am I wrong?

Enlighten me.

I own a Lund. I love it. But I wouldn't hesitate to trade it for an equal value Starcraft.

And if it wasn't for my love for large mouth bass slop fishing, I would have likely went with a Starcraft off the top. It is a superior open water / big water boat.

Starcraft makes a very quality boat. (and much better than Alumacraft!!)

I run a 1989 Ranger and it has been flawless in the build department. I chose that year because they changed the pad in 1990 for a smaller wet surface. I have been out in some nasty weather and have not felt scared and with upgraded seats my back has not been jammed even riding the caps of the waves. ( the factory seats back then where 2" foam on plywood). The only thing I dislike is gas was cheap back then and the original motor is a 6 carb 150 2 stroke that burns 4/5th of a gallon a minute at full throttle. I looked into changing it out but at $11000.00 plus for a new motor I think I will wait till it blows up some year in the future. lol

Art

What seats did you put in it Art?

I perceive Starcraft to be below Lund, Princecraft, alumacraft and Crestliner. That's my perception not fact - am I wrong?

Enlighten me.

I wouldnt say below any of those. Take a good look at one, and also notice how many old ones are still on the water. They have always been right up there in the top of class for aluminum boats.

S.

yes bill you got that right.....it was and still is a very sought after boat and one of the best big water trolling boats ever made.....awesome

They stopped making them a couple of years ago so they are holding value well if in good shape.

Back then ( early 80's ) I lusted after the same hull but done up as a centre console as the MR 220 V, but settled for an 18 centre console with the Sylvan moniker on the side, was garageable and kept at the ready here a stone's throw from the launch ramp

Edited by dave524

That Islander has the exact graphics my 190 has. 20 years old and if cared for still look new. I got lucky to find one.

Mine used to have the same graphics until I painted it. Mine is a 16WB Tiller. 1993 I believe....or maybe 91....can't remember now lol. Still as solid now as it was the day I got it. Just a little wear on the paint lol

S.