Best battery for a trolling motor on a kayak

Hey guys,

Although it doesn't look like spring is coming with the weather we are having, I want to get prepped. The missus has told me that she refuses to get in my kayak again until I replace the Trolling motor battery (the old one stranded us on the wrong side of the lake too many times.)

I was wondering what you lads say is the best one for this instance. Preferably we would like one that can be run for longer periods of time as its our main method of propulsion. If there are any ones that can push a trolling motor for 4 hours off of a single charge that would be ideal.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-nautilus-group-27-starting-deep-cycle-battery-0102799p.html#.VwUZV_krKM8

I think this was the brand I was using before and it was ok. As always, trying to save a few bucks. Its becoming apparent at this point it may have been easier and cheaper just to get a a 2.5 HP gas motor from bass pro.

Edit: Our trolling Motor is a Minn Kota Endura C2 with 30 lbs of thrust.

Edited by jeremy84

The bigger and heavier the battery, the longer the charge will last. The 800 number in red on the left gives you an indication of the charge that the battery can hold. It is usually proportional to the size and weight of battery.

I have had better luck with Walmart and Costco batteries than I have had with Canadian Tire batteries.

Recharge the battery as soon as possible after use and keep the fluids topped up (preferably with distilled water).

The bigger and heavier the battery, the longer the charge will last. The 800 number in red on the left gives you an indication of the charge that the battery can hold. It is usually proportional to the size and weight of battery.

I have had better luck with Walmart and Costco batteries than I have had with Canadian Tire batteries.

Recharge the battery as soon as possible after use and keep the fluids topped up (preferably with distilled water).

Thanks. How do you top the fluids up in a battery? (The one we have now may perform significantly better if I try this)

Remove the caps (rectangler ones on top of the battery in your link) and pour distilled water in.

The plates should be completely covered with water. I usually fill to the bottom of the cylinder at the bottom of the cap (you should be able to see what I mean once the cap is off). There will be six different cells to check. I don't have to fill them very often.

Some of the more expensive batteries are sealed won't have removable caps.

Remove the caps (rectangler ones on top of the battery in your link) and pour distilled water in.

The plates should be completely covered with water. I usually fill to the bottom of the cylinder at the bottom of the cap (you should be able to see what I mean once the cap is off). There will be six different cells to check. I don't have to fill them very often.

Some of the more expensive batteries are sealed won't have removable caps.

Thanks. Going to give this a try first. Would be nice to save the $200 or so I'm looking to invest.

I don't mind the weight too much. The 12' Frontier that I have once held me and 2 of my 200 lb buddies. Me and the missus wouldn't sink this thing if the battery were the size of the boat. :P

For $200 you can easily get a group 27 size deep cycle battery. I would also not recommend the CT batteries. I have had bad luck with them as well.

The ones I'm using right now are magna charge and going on the 4th season no problem, and I troll steady almost all the time on my electric. Same batteries as costco.

S.

Paddling is great for like 10 mins, then it gets really old, really quick :)

Leaves your hands free to fish. ;)

That's one of the reasons I want to pick up one of the Hobie Pro Angler Mirage Drive kayaks.

No trolling motor needed when you can use foot power. ;)

What they said. The last straw was when we were about 10km away from the launch on Rice Lake last year. The motor died so we started paddling. She was a trooper but about 30 minutes in called it quits. So I paddled while she trolled.

Well first mistake was getting 10k from the launch on rice in a kayak LOL

I don't go that far in my boat from the launch. If I need to go that far, I pull the boat and launch somewhere else.....closer to where I want to fish.

S.

The marine mechanic on my cottage road said Canadian Tire batteries are usually toast after 2 years. He recommended a Crown deep cycle.

Yeah, kayaks are made for paddle'n though :)

Vote #2 for Crown battery

Had a Crown battery for 7 years on a 36lb Minnkota motor, they are great. Maintain it properly and it will last a long time

We use crown AGM,s at work. Good batteries.

Heres what both Terry and I are using. 25lbs and holds a good charge. Also can hook up your finder too.

I just dont need it as I cant be lugging the wieght around anymore on the toon.

Not that cheap and not really that expensive compared to other AGM,s.

001.JPG

003.JPG

Edited by Brian B