Boy Scouts?

danbo

Cubs and Scouts for me. Learned how to light a fire with one match, or even no matches, how to pick a spot for a tent and pitch it, how to canoe, sail, kayak. How to tie all sorts of knots, first aid, and basic survival skills. All in Peterborough.

I was in Cub Scouts for awhile when I was very young back in the early 50's, then left and joined the Navy League Cadets when I was 10, graduated up to Sea Cadets for a couple years and eventually ended up in the regular Navy in '63

Every single organization was excellent but it seems as if those types of clubs aren't nearly as popular as they were years ago, unfortunately. At one time it seemed as if nearly every kid on the block was a member of one or the other.

I was a cub and Scout leader, Troop Scouter also a service scouter and eventually trainer. Used to go to Haliburton with the scouts and at the end and beginning of each season to fix up the buildings, clear new sites, take out deadfall. Some of my best time were in those years.

Maureen

Edited by motv8tr

Cubs, Scouts, senior Scouts, fell just short of Kings Scout,due to a badly written log of a w/end trek.Learned a H*** of a lot of things,mainly I think, self diciplin[?] If all the youngsters today were in these organizations, there would be less problems in this world.

I then went on to Army Cadets, reached Regimental S/Major, then failed the Medical for the real Army. Go figure. Then I met my future lifes partner.........................

If all the youngsters today were in these organizations, there would be less problems in this world.

I've often thought the exact same thing Jack, my friends and I were always too busy having fun in all those clubs to even have time to think about getting into any trouble.

I was in Cubs, Scouts, and Ventures.... It is sad that kids nowadays don`t get more involved it this type of organization.. I thought it was a great idea to let the girls in , too bad they didn`t do it until I left...

1st York all the way...

Doug

I was at BPS last week and there was a group of cubs with their leader looking at canoe gear. He was trying to explain paddles to them but they kept using them as swords causing him a little worry about the damage they'd do to the paddles and everything around them. Was happy to see they at least still have the organizations and at least some kids still do it (did beaver and cubs myself as a kid but stopped before scouts - don't know why)

Was a Cub, Scout as a kid and when my sons were of age became a leader for several years. Was a very rewarding experience. The Kids just loved it. Especially when we went to the hunt camp or on fishing trips. We also built a canoe at the boat shop and a go kart at my shop. Lots of fun!

I was both a cub and a scout.

I agree that there wold be less youth in trouble if more of them were involved with such an organization nowadays.

I didn't know that they let girls in now? Not too sure that's a good idea. Are teenage boys allowed to join the girlguides and go camping with them? Now, that I might have done...

Cubs, Scouts,Ventures and Rovers. Participated in 5 Jamb... all in North America, in a winter Camp North of Kap our scout troop competed with kids from all over the world and we won first place. But the best part is that we got to meet alot of people from all over the world. It really helped when the temp got blow the minus 45 range and everyone was at our camp because we had the wormest shelter. Had a scout groups from Alabama and Mexico move in and stay with us for the rest of the camp, still didnt understand what ether one said. Its was a blast sorry for anyone else that gos into it now with all the wavers and ins. coasts. Still some of my best memories

Scouting popularity is waning. Perhaps some of it is due to not keeping girls out of BOY Scouts. They sure want to join up with the boys BUT squeel when some 200lb boy signs up for Girls Softball. Or when a boy joins the girls track team to shot put. :blahblah1::blahblah1:

Cubs, Scouts, senior Scouts, fell just short of Kings Scout,due to a badly written log of a w/end trek.Learned a H*** of a lot of things,mainly I think, self diciplin[?] If all the youngsters today were in these organizations, there would be less problems in this world.

I then went on to Army Cadets, reached Regimental S/Major, then failed the Medical for the real Army. Go figure. Then I met my future lifes partner.........................

I have never heard of senior scout or king scout? Was this in Canada? I myself went from cub scout to Venturer! :)

Wow lots of scout brothers here. Proud member of 22nd niagara cubs,17th niagara scouts and 1st niagara rovers. Those were some great times. Went to Haliburton first time in 73 and last time as leader in 83. Learned some great life lessons . Still have my original scout handbook, My leader even looked like Baden Powell to boot.

Its not the same today . You can't do anything with the kids without fear of reprisals if one gets hurt. We used to go on campouts with a weeks notice ,now there is so much red tape the kids rarely go anywhere. The kids of today will never be as prepared as we were back then....what a shame.

"If all the youngsters today were in these organizations, there would be less problems in this world."

There are youngsters in these organizations all over the world we just call them something else.

Scouting originated after the war to prepare youth for the next war, every country that has ever been to war would have similar ideas and a lot of them we label terrorist.

We were lucky that as war became less likely that scouting morphed into something less violent, but if someone were to build a case to go to war with Canada scouting would be labeled Canadian Al Quida.

not a scout but the Boys brigade back in the UK, similar things and fun to, still have great memories, i guess with everything the way it is today you cant do the things we did due to laws and regulations, insurance needs and all the other nonsense that seems to have been put together to take the fun out of being a kid :whistling::Gonefishing: