Boy Scouts?

danbo

Guest lundboy

Scouts 9th Downsview Troop. Also 1st Pioneer Village Troop.

I did 2 summers volunteering at the CNE as the Scout Service Corps, pushing wheelchairs around. That was a great experience and I enjoyed that a lot.

Lots of fun at Haliburton, Oba-Sa-Teeka, Ox-Trail, Silver Birch, Woodland Trails, and Goodyear. Too bad some of them have closed and been sold off.

http://scoutdocs.ca/Camps/

I never made it to the Venturers and Rovers, I gave it up.... things didn't seem like they were going in the right direction back in 77-78 (at least with that troop). It's just not the same nowadays. Co-ed, too much liability, etc. Kids rarely have a chance to experience the outdoors because of red tape, political correctness, costs etc. Too bad really. I'm sure there are a lot of leaders (male) that feel they have to be extra extra careful in everything they say and do now in case some-one gets the wrong idea (maybe not, I don't know).

I still have a lot of the uniform and stuff... Here is a shot of what I have left.... The green and white neckerchief is the 9th Downsview colours, and the blue and green is the 1st Pioneer Village colours.

The green thing at the back is just something that I stitched all of the loose camp crests to as I got them, like a flag.

Hope this brings back some memories for everyone (it did for me)

Edited by lundboy

Guest lundboy
I have never heard of senior scout or king scout? Was this in Canada? I myself went from cub scout to Venturer! :)

In the 70s, they had a Cheif Scout Award. You got it for getting all gold level badges and doing volunteer time. Maybe King Scout was back farther.

Edited by lundboy

My best friends older boy is in his first year at Beavers in Midshurst, what a great group they are, very active. This weekend is the Jamboree, he's very excited to be going for the day today. She on the other hand can already see how tired she's going to be, but I know they'll have a blast.

Maureen