Is a vehicle lost through the ice covered by Insurance?

Old Ironmaker

A rhetorical question. This was discussed here a few times and I asked that question to my broker last year. We had our annual review of coverage today and I reminded him I asked him last year but he never got back to me. It wasn't a answer I readily needed as I knew I wasn't going onto the ice ever again with any of my vehicles. The simple answer I got was a definite no. Same with the snow machine, no coverage for loss through the ice unless I as driving on a roadway and lost control and went into a river etc.

Many folks here drive on the ice. I would get a definite answer in writing from your broker before you do it again, car, truck, ATV or snow machine. He said there are policies that will cover loss through the ice like on those ice roads north. But it ain't cheap. Check to be 110% certain.

remember, not all companies provide the same coverage. each policy can differ from one another.

also, to further complicate things, brokers can provide incorrect information, and a broker does not determine claim coverage or payout....

which is why to keep the confirmations from the broker in writing.

the company I work for looks at whether you are moving on the ice, or parked on the ice, when the vehicle goes through...it makes a difference.

I've never heard of a vehicle through the ice get denied coverage; to put it another way, I've never seen a personal (commercial is different) vehicle owner get left to recover a vehicle through the ice on his/her own dime. Imagine how many vehicles would still be at the bottom of the lake if people had to pay $20-50 grand to pull out there own vehicle? It just doesn't happen this way.

just yesterday I asked this exact question to the owner of the company that does many, if not most, of the ice recoveries in Ontario

Your broker is likely not reading the wording in your policy, he is just going on instinct or false information.

Comprehensive, less the deductible, provides coverage on a vehicle falling through the ice.

Insurance agents are salesmen. They are experts in determining commissions on sales.

Policies explain coverage. Declarations pages (page attached to front of policy) list additional coverage and take away from coverage described in policy.

For information pertaining to a specific coverage I suggest writing a letter to a claims adjustor requesting clarification. Ask for a written reply and hold onto it.

An agent working in a cold climate and not knowing coverage for vehicles falling through ice, needs to get outside more. Moving to a warmer climate would be good.

Insist that you be covered according to the provisions of your policy, not according to the opinion of a sales person representing an insurance company.

Edited by TennesseeGuy

All I know for an absolute certainty is that I'm not covered whether through collision or comp. I don't need it regardless. I started this thread to create some awareness only. I am a member of a small mutual here in rural country. My agent is my broker and he is the claims adjuster here and wears a few other hats as well to keep our rates as low as possible. The few agents we have are not paid a commission I'm told. After years of working out of an old cold and leaky shoebox we built a very nice Georgian style building overlooking the Grand River, with cash on hand. The large conference room can be reserved by members and local non members for community meetings or get togethers for members only for no charge.

When I purchaced the insurance for my ATV it was an important question I asked.

It turned out that the company that currently has my insurance covers on ice use.

Another company the broker represents does not. This insurance company includes a free rider which prohibits on ice use. They don't even charge for this service.

Mighty nice of them.

Edited by Woodsman

If an agent or broker says "yes", or even better "I don't see why not" take our insurance guru Terry's advice and get it in writing. That's all I'm saying. Look at Woodsman's post above this one. Perfect example. Policies can differ greatly for each provider. You need to be a Bay St. lawyer to understand my property damage coverage for this lakefront place. 1 in 100 year storm vs. a 1 in 50 year storm, elevation of dwelling from water level, break wall or not, construction of building, i.e. Hurricane bracing and on and on. Assume you aren't covered and then ask if you are and get it in writing. Did you know that coverage for loss by damage from fire may be dependant on how close a tree limb is from your roof if your neighbours place sets your place on fire.

A former employee of mine got a registered letter saying he had "X" amount of time to clean his property up or he would not be covered for personal liability to second parties or fire damage. We are talking about the rural farmer that has 20 abandoned vehicles, old trailers, motorhomes, boats. Right down to the 6 cords of seasoned firewood piled against the wall of his house. I know someone is going to call Bull, but it's 110% true I tell ya, they are getting tougher and tougher, especially out here in rural country. I have heard of folks getting a similar letter because they were in need of a new roof. I do not like insurance providers.

Like Yogi Berra said. "Ya don't need it if ya got it and don't have it when ya need it."

Edited by Old Ironmaker

You may want to find anew insurance agent.

Insurance covers loss through the ice up here, no reason it shouldn't down there.

Did they also try to sell you their costal beach house in Saskatchewan when they sold you loss through ice insurance?

(Seriously, is the ice ever less then 4 feet thick up there?)

Did they also try to sell you their costal beach house in Saskatchewan when they sold you loss through ice insurance?

(Seriously, is the ice ever less then 4 feet thick up there?)

You could ask this guy who went through last Saturday.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/plow-plunges-through-lake-dog-derby-1.3503132

truck-through-lake.JPG

Then there's this fella from early March up on Great Bear Lake.

My landlord flew to Deline today to work on recovery of this truck.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/truck-plunges-deline-ice-road-1.3477869

deline-truck-jpg.JPG

Drifter, one of my wife's favorite shows is Ice Road Truckers. A cliffhanger every commercial break, no one ever goes through the ice. So I guess some do. It seems every other TV show on the specialty channels are about Alaska, the Yukon, NWT and all the ice roads where M2B2 lives or any other God forsaken cold place.

And 2 inches of ice where you are in when June? Is the same 2" of ice that idiotos take their new Audi 8's out onto here. An inch is an inch except when measuring fish or trouser trout. One of my faves up north is where the crazy folks live on house boats on Great Slave or is it Great Bear Lake in the dead of winter. Apparently if they aren't docked laws of the land don't apply. And of course Gold Rush. The one where all the Americuns think the Yukon is part of the USA.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Drifter, one of my wife's favorite shows is Ice Road Truckers. A cliffhanger every commercial break, no one ever goes through the ice. So I guess some do. It seems every other TV show on the specialty channels are about Alaska, the Yukon, NWT and all the ice roads where M2B2 lives or any other God forsaken cold place.

And 2 inches of ice where you are in when June? Is the same 2" of ice that idiotos take their new Audi 8's out onto here. An inch is an inch except when measuring fish or trouser trout. One of my faves up north is where the crazy folks live on house boats on Great Slave or is it Great Bear Lake in the dead of winter. Apparently if they aren't docked laws of the land don't apply. And of course Gold Rush. The one where all the Americuns think the Yukon is part of the USA.

Yeah, the house boaters are in Yellowknife Bay.

I actually know Pike Mike quite well as we guided together up on Great Bear for quite a few years. :D

Yeah, the house boaters are in Yellowknife Bay.

I actually know Pike Mike quite well as we guided together up on Great Bear for quite a few years. :D

That's really cool, and I was going to mention Pike Mike was one of my favorites. As well as the young couple that got married last season. When is your show coming out, "How to build a Arctic Mansion with 2 hands only".

Comprehensive, less the deductible, provides coverage on a vehicle falling through the ice.

Insurance agents are salesmen. They are experts in determining commissions on sales.

Policies explain coverage. Declarations pages (page attached to front of policy) list additional coverage and take away from coverage described in policy.

For information pertaining to a specific coverage I suggest writing a letter to a claims adjustor requesting clarification. Ask for a written reply and hold onto it.

An agent working in a cold climate and not knowing coverage for vehicles falling through ice, needs to get outside more. Moving to a warmer climate would be good.

Insist that you be covered according to the provisions of your policy, not according to the opinion of a sales person representing an insurance company.

Some good advice but how would anyone know what coverage they actually have until you ask and get it in writing? The policy may show what is covered but what doesn't tell you what has to be in place in order to have a claim paid out. Nowhere on my policy does it say anything about how far from a property a tree limb must be in order for the provider to pay out a fire claim. The only reason I know this for a fact is because I was told by an insurance inspector who did an onsite perusal. My policy doesn't tell me, same as a railing needing to be to code in the case someone falls off the deck and I would be covered for their loss. No "Grandfathered in" scenarios when it comes to insurance providers I was told. It is my responsibility to ensure my place is to code. If I hadn't have been in construction I wouldn't have a clue when it comes to what or what is not up to code. Common sense usually tells someone if a "to code" railing is needed. Just 1 example.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Every automobile policy issued in Ontario is exactly the same. It is on a standard form https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/forms/Documents/OAP-1-Application-and-Endorsement-Forms/1215E.2.pdf

Looks to me like it would be covered if you purchase the optional coverage under section 7 (sinking). You can find out if you have that by looking at your declaration page.

I would expect it's probably not quite as black and white as that. Go through the ice very early in the winter when it's just forming, or in early spring when everyone knows it's breaking up and the insurance company could argue you didn't take reasonable care to prevent the accident from occurring. Insurance isn't mean to cover stupidity or negligence.

Just saying ...

Every automobile policy issued in Ontario is exactly the same. It is on a standard form https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/forms/Documents/OAP-1-Application-and-Endorsement-Forms/1215E.2.pdf

Looks to me like it would be covered if you purchase the optional coverage under section 7 (sinking). You can find out if you have that by looking at your declaration page.

Interesting, I have never seen anything like that from my Broker in 43 years of buying auto insurance. Great link thanks. Now I have a duzzey of a headache.