Fishing Patterns

AKRISONER

This thread might be short lived...it may be long, but i can honestly say something clearly was going on in Southern Ontario this past weekend.

The amount of reports I am seeing pop up with solid results is perhaps the highest I have ever seen on this forum...

I was lucky enough to be out on GB and we absolutely hammered em too

we even wet a line for 3 hours on Sunday and went 6-7 while losing a 20+lb pike while trying to get it through an 8 inch hole...yikes!

Anyone else here not posting full blown reports but that had success this past weekend? Holy cow.

Not this past weekend but last week. Overall the reports for Eastern Ontario this season have been few, likely due to ice or the perception that ice may be bad. But before last weekend I was out for my first two days of this ice fishing season and the first was OK for lakers, the second was great whitey fishing. This Sunday, meh! And Monday, blah!

I fell through the ice, fishing sucked, called it a year

lol restart at ice off

im still hearing of everyone around saying this past weekend was the best fishing of the whole winter.

We just realized today that all of the small pickerel we were catching were actually sauger! sweeeettt

you tell me...looks pretty saugerish to me! But i know pretty much nothing about sauger except they dont have the white tip on the tail and they have blotches like this fish.

1a30932.jpg

than is one beautiful fish! and mean looking :)

I used to post reports not just here. I didn't figure out how to post pics and a report without photographic proof just doesn't seem to cut it. There is always someone that can't take someone's word that the report has merit. Many point out that you are mistaken, can't use a tape measure right or basically a liar. See post #7 here, a perfect example. I don't think I'm the only one hesitant on posting reports.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I used to post reports not just here. I didn't figure out how to post pics and a report without photographic proof just doesn't seem to cut it. There is always someone that can't take someone's word that the report has merit. Many point out that you are mistaken, can't use a tape measure right or basically a liar. See post #7 here, a perfect example. I don't think I'm the only one hesitant on posting reports.

I asked a question, it wasn't accusatory, it was simply opening up a conversation about the species in question. Some of you guys are more sensitive then 16 year old girls, lol

you tell me...looks pretty saugerish to me! But i know pretty much nothing about sauger except they dont have the white tip on the tail and they have blotches like this fish.

1a30932.jpg

Looks like a Sauger to me.

Also people only post reports when they catch fish. I'll start posting more when I get skunked to even things out. :P

Last weekend I'm told was good. I watch Brian catch a lot of fish and lucked into a few. Actually this whole winter has been pretty good to be honest. I figure with the warm temps the fish have had a lot less pressure on them.

1a30932.jpg

Did it taste like a Pickereye, or a Sauger?

HH

I asked a question, it wasn't accusatory, it was simply opening up a conversation about the species in question. Some of you guys are more sensitive then 16 year old girls, lol

Whatever you say Bill. Add a smiley face or LOL and everything is good. I can read English. And yes I am a very sensitive 16 year old girl posing as a 61 year old curmudgeon.

Its pretty cool how people report similar results Province wide. I remember last summer. I had a couple of unbelievable consecutive bass days.

After calling around to other friends and reading various reports, I soon realized that that was the time to be out. All the big fish were biting on many different bodies of water.

Now I just need to get my crystal ball up and running.

That is a sauger...I don't care where it came from. :)

anyone with any knowledge also willing to back this statement up...

Roy im not taking away from your statement, i hope you agree because you have caught sauger yourself many times! I am just looking to fully confirm this.

anyone with any knowledge also willing to back this statement up...

Roy im not taking away from your statement, i hope you agree because you have caught sauger yourself many times! I am just looking to fully confirm this.

Ive caught bajillions of them

Its a sauger, young one by the looks of it. The patterns are more defined in the 14" monsters lol.

They dont get very big. I think the biggest ive caught wasnt quite 17"

No different tasting than walleye though

Just remember sauger and saugeye go against your walleye limit?

Aside from the characteristic white tail tip etc... of the walleye, you'll also notice if you look at a few pictures that the walleye also has a dark splotch (is that a word?) at the back base of the first dorsal fin. Saugers don't have that "splotch". Also, you could probably never see the colour of your hand through the dorsal fins of a walleye. Then there are the random black marks on the sauger's body where the walleye's marks are usually more uniform. On the river here, there is a good mix of both but if you get into a patch of saugers, the walleye will be fewer and farther between. In areas like these, where saugers and walleye co-exist, you're likely to also run into the occasional saugeye as well but that's a horse of a different colour. :)