Potentially replacing/rebuilding Evinrude 40hp - Etec, Yamaha or Merc?

Fish4Eyes

In terms of durability, which one would you recommend if considering new 40hp? I am considering Etec, Yamaha or Merc. The Merc's are almost 2k cheaper which has me wondering why?

I am partial to Yamaha due to the raving reviews over the years, is this still the case with their modern day motors? What kind of maintenance intervals are involved with a Yamaha? Are they expensive and frequent?

I understand the Etec's don't need maintenance for the first 3 years/500 hrs which is attractive to me. What has their reliability been like though?

Bottom cylinder on my 96 40hp Evinrude showing 40PSI less than top, so a rebuild would be in order. Dundas Marine says 2-3k for rebuild and new Etec/Yammy is around 7k. Anybody have any suggestions as to where I could get a more reasonable quote that delivers good work? Open to suggestions and does not need to be local.

Thanks in advance.

it's gonna be hard to get an impartial opinion on the matter. everyone will propably be happy with what they have. i love my yamaha 40. maintenance is pretty standard fare, engine oil and lower unit oil once a season. check/replace fuel filter as needed. i do it myself, so cost is parts.

Edited by Raf

I own Yamaha both as main and kicker on my boat and they have been absolutely trouble free for the last 12 years, just engine oil and gear lube every fall, takes me about an hour.

Have you priced Suzuki ? Also very reliable motors, I believe they are less $$ than Yamaha and Honda.

I have no issues with Mercs at all.

I replaced my 1991 90hp 2 stroke with a brand new injected 115hp 4 stroke in 2013 and am as happy as a clam.

My old 2 stroke I purchased new with my boat and it had been great but it was time for a new fuel efficient 4 stroke on the boat.

Coupled with my smart gauges it's really an awesome power plant.

11880484_1219006711458999_65686710927415

I'm sure you'll be happy with any engine you end up with. ;)

I have 30 HP Etec for last 2 seasons, bought it new from Bay City Marine in Hamilton (best price i found in Ontario). So far i had small issue with impeller, which was quickly addressed by Bonnie Boats Marine.

Motor is really quiet and has amazing fuel economy. I was looking for Yammy as well, but you cant beat 6 years warranty from Evenrude and their customer service.

In terms of durability, which one would you recommend if considering new 40hp? I am considering Etec, Yamaha or Merc. The Merc's are almost 2k cheaper which has me wondering why?

I am partial to Yamaha due to the raving reviews over the years, is this still the case with their modern day motors? What kind of maintenance intervals are involved with a Yamaha? Are they expensive and frequent?

I understand the Etec's don't need maintenance for the first 3 years/500 hrs which is attractive to me. What has their reliability been like though?

Bottom cylinder on my 96 40hp Evinrude showing 40PSI less than top, so a rebuild would be in order. Dundas Marine says 2-3k for rebuild and new Etec/Yammy is around 7k. Anybody have any suggestions as to where I could get a more reasonable quote that delivers good work? Open to suggestions and does not need to be local.

Thanks in advance.

Is that a complete rebuild, of what i presume both cylinders, Harrison Power Sports in Peterborough does great work, and i would give them a call with your situation

Depending on when and how you use your motor, have a drive down to the Niagara River in any January or February and have a look at what the majority of the boats are running....

If you don't go with the Yamaha, go with the Suzzy.

Edited by Steve

vote for a yammy if u can get it, seldom see these or hondas back at the marina for anyhting worse than waterpump impellors hasting marines been around forever and the reason is ciustomer service and price.

e tec has a great warranty but when boat shopping I usually find them all with new power heads still under warranty doenst give me a great deal of confindence in them

Ran a 115 four stroke Yamaha for many years- unbeatable. Rigged new boat last spring with Suzukis, reviews were great, good warranty, and more hp for same money as Yamaha. Very happy so far. Don't think you could loose with either brand.

Edited by musky666

Got Suzuki on the new boat. So far amazing motors. Had a 2000 50 Merc on the old one, that many people claim was a yammie in Merc cowling. It was flawless too. First timers most often repeated comment - Wow, that motor is whisper quiet - can't even hear it? The 20hp kicker will move the 176 dual console along at a decent clip. Fuel consumption is great.

IMG-20140502-00107_zpscd37bad9.jpg

Is it a fact that Yamaha builds the main components exclusively for some Merc/Mariner? I was told my older Mariner 115 and 15 kicker are Yamahas. I'm not going to give myself the kibosh by saying anything positive about Mercury/Mariner engines.

I think the original 4 stroke Mercury power heads were built by Yamahas. I don't think that is the case any more; I am pretty sure that Mercury is building their own powerheads now. I don't know which year they changed.

The the under 30 hp motors from Mercury, Evinrude, and Nissan are built by Tohatsu.

Hastings marine has a 40 yammy tiller on sale right now for 6400.

S.

List price is $7500

You can get the tiller handle RPM adjustment switch added to a steering wheel type as well but you gotta ask them to rig it for you

check some dealers sites they may have an old stock new motor. I picked up a new in crate 70 johnson(suzuki) 4stroke for about 3500 off the list. It was old stock and came with the same full 3 year warranty.It was model that was 5 years old. Also yes check out suzuki I am on my 6 th season with mine and it has been flawless.