Thinking about buying a new boat.

pike slayer

In the event you do decide to look at used boats I found this in an old file of mine. From iboats. It will come in handy for you or anyone thinking of buying a boat in the future, myself included.

A Good Buyers check list.

The absolute FIRST and MOST important question you should ask the seller is this.

DO YOU HAVE THE PROPER PAPERWORK.

The boat is a useless paperweight without it.

Absolutely positively DO NOT believe that obtaining a title is easy because in most cases it isn't. As a matter of fact offer the seller an extra $100.00 to get the proper paperwork, I bet you 95% of the time the seller will say no at that point walk away no matter how pretty and shiny the boat is WALK AWAY.

We are going to Start with the hull.

The hull.

Start at the bow outside and work your way back.

Go over it from bow to stern with a fine tooth comb Are there any major knicks or gashes.

Are there any splits in the fiberglass.

Look for gel coat spidering or stress cracks.

Is the gel coat or paint faded or is bright as if it has been cared for?

Is the hull straight no major dents in especially on the bottom side. I.e. an obviously visible hook in the hull.

Is there barnacle build up on it anywhere?

How does the rub rail look is it mashed in anywhere? (signs that a boat was owned by an inexperienced owner).

Look for brown water staining visible around the transom motor mount bolts streaking down from them (for an outboard).

Look for brown water staining streaking down from the splashwell plug (again an outboard).

Look at the trim i.e. (lights, rubrail trim, horns, anything metal) does it look pitted and corroded or well maintained?

Move to the inside of the hull.

Start from bow to stern

How is the general condition of the upholstery does it look well cared for?

How solid is the floor in ALL spots if it is spongy squishy or weak in any spots walk away (unless you are looking for a project). Don't believe that it is going to be a simple fix boats tend to rot from the bottom up.

Lift all the hatches and look underneath are there any signs of dampness or rot?

Poke prod and feel everything especially all of the hidden areas.

Look in the ski locker if equipped how does it look any signs of dampness or rot?

Look at the seat bases for signs of dampness and rot.

Look at the carpet is moldy and mildewed, or does it have normal wear.

If the floor is Plywood encased in fiberglass which is painted look for signs of delamination (fiberglass pulling up).

Test all of the electronics.

Make sure the bow and stern light are functioning properly.

Make sure the horn is working properly.

Make sure the bilge pump and blower are working properly.

Follow the wires do they look like they are properly connected and running through proper USCG approved fuse boxes? Does the wiring look like proper marine grade wire.

Test the radio and speakers make sure they are connected and working properly.

Test the steering to make sure it functions properly and easily.

Move to the stern.

Lift all of the hatches and motor cover.

Inspect the motor mounts do they look dry and clean inspect for dampness and rot.

How does the bilge look is it clean or has someone been draining the oil into the bilge?

Are there signs of brown water stains in the bilge area?

Inspect the transom from the inside look for signs of rot.

Tap on the inside of the transom with a rubber mallet how does it sound does it sound rock solid or kind of hollow does it feel solid or does it feel like mush.

Am I missing something here because as far as someone sending you links to new boats and respective prices it is up to you to do that. It's called shopping around.

Id guess your italian

No mussolinies on the boat lol

Mr. Ironmaker. That's an enormous check list but a very good one. Thanx for posting.

In regard to wormdangler's dilemma. I have only 1 comment. DO NOT BUY A 16' WITH A 15 HP MOTOR. The end!

I can't take credit for authoring that list. As I said it was from iboat. I wish I had it when I was shopping even though I bought a used gem of a boat, better lucky than good.

I'm in the sault and willing to travel to thunderbay or the opposite direction to southern ontario.

Porkpie that boat is only a tiller with no side console

I also just did a build on the Lund sitell and I built basically the same one as the legend with a 25hp and it came out to 13500 but I'm not sure if that's U.S currency

Take a very close look at Polar Kraft.......they are giving Lund a run for their money because it's built with the same quality but you are not paying for the Lund name (Lund are very find boats but expensive IMHO)

Polar Kraft has just as many models as Lund and they are built like tanks and as some dealers told me last year, the smaller Lunds don't have the quality like they use to and the Polar Kraft actually are better in the size you are looking at.

http://www.polarkraftboats.com/

I have the Polar Kraft Frontier 179 WT with a 90 HO E-TEC on the back which is much larger then you are looking at but they have smaller Frontier also plus many other models depending on how big or small the waters are you intend to use it.

I do agree that the Legend is WAY under powered get close to max if not max especially is those smaller boats because 2 or three guys and you will never plane out and that really SUCKS to be in a boat like that.

Don't forget most 15hp are a 9.9 with a bigger carb. 25 is usually a 20 with a bigger carb. You get the idea. Get as big a motor as you can afford. Honestly if cash is the concern I would sooner buy the rig, sell the motor and buy a bigger used one.

You are close but actually outboard manufactures really build say a 25 hp motor and then down tune it to a 20 hp.......don't know about these smaller outboards but once you get up to the 40 hp + models they are fuel injected and the computer mapping in the motor will let it make 40 hp or 50 hp or 60 hp all from the exact same outboard.....same is true with the larger motors like the 90 HO, 115, 115 HO, 135, 135 HO, 150 or 150 HO from E-TEC and the same holds true for Merc.

I'd like to add a +1 to waiting for an older, but better equipped model. As a current boat owner, I'm sure you know, that if they're well maintained, and stored properly a lot of boats in Ontario have very short seasons (low hours for their age), and can still be in top shape even if 5 or years old. I'll just throw something out there in the link that I think would be better.. Keep in mind too that this isn't a good time of year for people to be selling used boats, so there's not as many good options out there as there will be in 2 or 3 months. I'm also looking, and there's a lot less "traffic" right now than there was in the summer..

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/sudbury/2008-lowe-aluminum-with-2010-mercury-60-hp-sold/1136775545?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I would buy a Lowe.

Even with that V front, it's still going to ride like a Jon boat.

Bang on.

Call hastings marine and work out a deal on a boat with them. A buddy of mine got a brand new 16ft Lund fury with 40 yammy, bowmount, and graph for right around 15 grand. Way better set up than your looking at.

S.

Nice set up Shane.

Have a look at the Sylvans line up as well. Nice deep wide boats

Edited by Brian B

Thanks guys.

What is everyone opinion on Lowe boats and the skorpion model? It's a flat bottom but V front to cut the waves

https://www.loweboats.com/multi-species-boats/skorpion/

That's just a Jon boat with an interior. It would be fine for most kawarthas etc. But it will pound in a chop. Lowe boats are decent. A guy I work with is running a 2003 Lowe 16 foot V hull side console . It's a great boat, he's very happy with it. It's got a nice layout as well.

If you're going to fish the river a lot and travel on it lots them maybe a centre console.

If you're fishing the back lakes, go with a tiller, and not the scorpion...you still want a deep V

Premier had a couple nice G3's there last fall that you should look at.

They would be something I would buy

Thanks guys.

What is everyone opinion on Lowe boats and the skorpion model? It's a flat bottom but V front to cut the waves

https://www.loweboats.com/multi-species-boats/skorpion/

Friend had a Grumman modified V jon boat that looked identical to that hull years ago, the least little bit of chop and it was a wet rough ride.

THERE IS A 2006 POLARKRAFT 16 foot with a 50hp yamaha 4 stroke 2010, on kijiji for $9600, located in sudbury, nice looking tiller boat, if that was in toronto it would sell quick

Edited by mikeh

THERE IS A 2006 POLARKRAFT 16 foot with a 50hp yamaha 4 stroke 2010, on kijiji for $9600, located in sudbury, nice looking tiller boat, if that was in toronto it would sell quick

I have a 2015 Polar Kraft Frontier 179 WT..........built like a TANK..........

Dara I'm planning fishing rocky island, tunnel, aubery,etc.and keep my 12' for smaller lakes. I was going check them out and see what superior has to say. After owning a side console boat I really like it compared to a tiller and it's so ooo nice with a front mount and a flat floor compared to a regular aluminum boat.

I liked the interior setup of the skorpion but ya wasn't sure about the v front making it less of a Jon boat or not.

I had a buddy last spring pick up a couple nice deep hull 14' tinners from a resort. Most resorts around here only have 9.9s and 15hp motors.