Shooting in binbrook

leaf4

This is truly a sad story. Most of us agree, Peter should have dialled 911. Now we have a deceased person & another in custody with serious charges. To kill a person over a dam truck! (a similar statement made by Tim Bosma's widow). I don't agree! To go outside to investigate, then fire a shot in the air would have been the right thing to do. It would also avoid a whole a mess such as what we have now.

This is truly a sad story. Most of us agree, Peter should have dialled 911. Now we have a deceased person & another in custody with serious charges. To kill a person over a dam truck! (a similar statement made by Tim Bosma's widow). I don't agree! To go outside to investigate, then fire a shot in the air would have been the right thing to do. It would also avoid a whole a mess such as what we have now.

only problem with firing in the air is where it lands.. which would have put it in line with my house..

It is sad for sure, 26 years old with a promising career ahead and it's potentially derailed by a split second decision.

As the details emerge, knowing there was a confrontation it makes me wonder to what extent? If this was the states in this situation would he be in custody still or would he be at home later that night for dinner?

I drive by his house multiple times through the week, as stated in the article he moved in, in July. Dunno if he's done anything on the inside but he already put on a double garage addition and re roofed with a steel roof, I was enjoying seeing the progress haha.

Edited by Lucas F

As someone who has had vehicles broken into and being lucky enough to physically deter an attempted robbery while my wife and young children were in the other room, I say screw any dirtbag who violates your rights and they all belong in a hole. They deserve zero sympathy and whatever they get from any brave person who decides to go against the Canadian way and actually defend themselves and their property.

I sure hope there is a support page of some sort started for this man.

That said, the only thing the article says is "The resident, Peter KHILL while armed with a firearm confronted the man. During the confrontation the man attempting to steal the truck died as a result of gunshot related injuries.". We haven't a clue if the guy ran out there shooting away or confronted the thief and demanded that he leave or be shot before the thief attacked him. After reading about the man I would assume he showed self control and was attacked by the thief and defended himself. Need more details...

thumbs up to this man ,well said

It's so easy to be judge and jury when we don't know all the facts.

If I heard or saw something outside at 3 am I would probably go out to see what was going on and IF I had a gun handy I would probably take it with me just in case and IF someone did attack me I would probably fire a warning shot right at their chest.

It's easy to say "I'd beat them up" but I'm 70, my days of fist fighting are long over. As far as calling 911; what could I tell them? I think there is someone or something outside my house? I live 15 minutes outside of town, it could be someone hurt or looking for help?

We live in a world where no ones responsible for there actions ,including our thieving government , what would happen call 911 he gets a slap on the wrist out the next day and 5 more stripped down Chevys on blocks or burnt somewhere by the weekend ..guy did us a favour

That area Cops are useless.. By the time the police arrive the truck is gone.

Of course he had insurance on the truck.. Say it was a nice truck $30,000. Insurance pays the full replacement value right. You end up losing nothing in the theft right?

You will have a new truck on your driveway the next day so you can get right to work?

Poor guy protecting his property went to far. Should have dialed 911 and then gone out.

Don't get me wrong a person died and we don't know the circumstances but if he was not stealing he would not be dead.

It is extremely sad that the one is dead and one is ruined. More then just them to blame. It seems the culture up on the mountain has to take the blame as well.

If you take a drive into Sittin Bull there is a stripped pick up sitting in a front yard with a for sale sign on it. Now if this behavior was taken seriously by all authorities maybe situations like this would not occur.

Regards

ahhh heck, I'm sure I'll take flak from the gun folks on this board but.......

his vehicle was getting stolen...his family was not in danger, he was not in danger, he had no right to shoot and kill anyone!

Call the cops.

A quick call to 911 advising that you are WATCHING someone steal your truck will have cops there before he gets on the road (right FfA?).

You can't shoot and kill people that are stealing your property. Not in this country!

I totally agree!

Have this happen to you numerous times and lose your house insurance over 3 claims, then on the insurance blacklisted, no one will insure you, and tell me then if I feel sorry.

Some people just had enough. Call the police and they arrived 15 mins later and just laugh and tell you have to go to the station and fill out a report IF you like, good bye.

You never get back what they take, and your insurance penalizes you.

I don't have any sympathy, sorry. :clapping::stretcher:

One more Parasite gone.

The first new vehicle I ever bought in my life was stolen from me back years ago, MAN I felt like I was raped.

After they found it stripped I cried, then the insurance said they were going to replace it with someone else used one. :worthy::wallbash:

Have this happen to you numerous times and lose your house insurance over 3 claims, then on the insurance blacklisted, no one will insure you, and tell me then if I feel sorry.

Some people just had enough. Call the police and they arrived 15 mins later and just laugh and tell you have to go to the station and fill out a report IF you like, good bye.

One more Parasite gone.

The first new vehicle I ever bought in my life was stolen from me back years ago, MAN I felt like I was raped.

After they found it stripped I cried, then the insurance said they were going to replace it with someone else used one. :worthy::wallbash:

Sadly those are all realities and large factors in this instance for sure, I know when I buy a truck, it'll be GPS monitored with an immobilizer and a silent alarm

Tough call. A truck definitely isn't worth a life. But how much of a life did the guy really have who spends his time jacking vehicles? It's too bad it came to this. I hope he can somehow prove self defence, because otherwise 2nd degree murder isn't all that outlandish.

Would this actually be considered acceptable south of the border, though? I know a few states have some real cowboy laws, but unless they're intruding in your house or posing a threat this type of force seems a little excessive.

One more Parasite gone.

Well sad...

One more Parasite gone.

So people who steal should be put to death??? Justice should be blind not stupid.

So people who steal should be put to death??? Justice should be blind not stupid.

Shouldn't be put to death no, but this guy was 29 years old, knew the risks he was taking and has probably stolen more trucks than 10 people would own in a lifetime, don't know if you're from the area, but Hamilton and surrounding area is a hunting ground for them to strip them and sell for parts, then burn them or push them into a quarry

Do i feel any sympathy at all for the theif? Not what so ever, hes now paying the ultimate price for his actions. So be it.

Do i feel any sympathy for the shooter, yes...he didnt ask to be put in this crappy situation.

Like many have said, I cannot say that him completely sniping the intruder without warning is called for, theres a very very fine line, but i personally feel that if you approach the situation, make clear your intentions by stating, back the eff off or i will shoot you...and the guy proceeds to continue to steal your vehicle or makes an aggressive move towards you, he would get dropped then and there.

Here we go on the old gun debate...its 3am, how does buddy know that the thief isn't armed? Is he supposed to wait till the scumbag who has nothing to lose shoots at him first? Once again, this isn't a situation where the shooter was out carrying a gun around and came across this scenario. he is at home in the middle of the night and some scumbag shows up at his house to do god knows what.

I personally think the amount of legal crap that the shooter is going to have to deal with is enough punishment, maybe probation etc. But does this guy really deserve to be behind bars for being thrown into a terrible situation on his own property!?

Do i feel any sympathy at all for the theif? Not what so ever, hes now paying the ultimate price for his actions. So be it.

Do i feel any sympathy for the shooter, yes...he didnt ask to be put in this crappy situation.

Like many have said, I cannot say that him completely sniping the intruder without warning is called for, theres a very very fine line, but i personally feel that if you approach the situation, make clear your intentions by stating, back the eff off or i will shoot you...and the guy proceeds to continue to steal your vehicle or makes an aggressive move towards you, he would get dropped then and there.

Here we go on the old gun debate...its 3am, how does buddy know that the thief isn't armed? Is he supposed to wait till the scumbag who has nothing to lose shoots at him first? Once again, this isn't a situation where the shooter was out carrying a gun around and came across this scenario. he is at home in the middle of the night and some scumbag shows up at his house to do god knows what.

I personally think the amount of legal crap that the shooter is going to have to deal with is enough punishment, maybe probation etc. But does this guy really deserve to be behind bars for being thrown into a terrible situation on his own property!?

100% agree

There's lots of talk here but honestly, would anyone here have the guts to pull the trigger and end a life, in this particular situation as we know it ?

I've had my car broken into enough times but I would never entertain the thought of swinging a Louisville at the lowlifes because I can't determine what the outcome of a swing/swings will be. That's a risk I'm not prepared to take. I'll call the cops and choose to not complicate my life any further.

If they break into my home and there's a threat to life, you can bet I'm prepared to be the last man standing.

Edited by woodenboater

Like I said before, vehicles and property can be replaced, lives can't.

If your life or your family's lives are in danger then use as much force as necessary to repel the threat.

There's no way in our country nowadays that shooting a guy for stealing your car is justified. Having your car stolen sucks but it beats 2-3 years in a trial and your whole life torn apart

Like I said before, vehicles and property can be replaced, lives can't.

If your life or your family's lives are in danger then use as much force as necessary to repel the threat.

There's no way in our country nowadays that shooting a guy for stealing your car is justified. Having your car stolen sucks but it beats 2-3 years in a trial and your whole life torn apart

Yessir!