World Juniors - Canada's play so far

lhousesoccer

Yes unfortunately for our guys Sweden is a powerhouse. Stevens goal in the first period is a prime example of getting more shots on the net. A shot from the point & Stevens nets a nice rebound. You can't score against Sweden with a man is in the box! 3 Canadian penalties - 3 goals for Sweden! We had a 2 man advantage for :54 seconds , followed immediately by a 1 man advantage & couldn't score. That's the proof! We also had an opportunity when Sweden was short handed, but we didn't even get 1 shot on their net. Going to be another great game against Finland tomorrow. Go Canada Go!

They done good. Played 110%. The last slashing penalty that the Finnish player's stick got knocked away was very iffy. I hate that whole dropping the stick thing on a love tap. Looks like a ringette ruie. Anyway we were right in it all the way.

The boys done good.

muddler

Kinda lost some respect for Strome when he tried to sell the five minute penalty....you don't go directly to the dressing room to look injured while the refs are discussing whether to call 2 mins or 5 mins...then it was decided it was 2 mins....Strome was not just back on the bench, he was back on the ice for the next shift.

That isn't Canadian hockey.

But other than for that, the boys played their hearts out...Team Canada wasn't as strong as previous years.....and the boys still played their hearts out.

Our guys played very well, but up against some tough opposition. Swedes & Fins! Penalties once again were our worst enemy. Our guys had 9 penalties. Virtanen's 4 minutes in the box didn't help the cause. 3 different times we had a man advantage only to be followed by a Canada penalty. Well, it's definitely a learning experience for next year.

Our guys played very well, but up against some tough opposition. Swedes & Fins! Penalties once again were our worst enemy. Our guys had 9 penalties. Virtanen's 4 minutes in the box didn't help the cause. 3 different times we had a man advantage only to be followed by a Canada penalty. Well, it's definitely a learning experience for next year.

semi OT but I wish the NHL had mandated all new rinks to be Olympic size. Other than the Mastercard Centre, where else is there an Olympic rink in Canada ? This might have given our boys a leg up getting used to wide open space.

Bottom line

The NHL needs to release , BEST ,world juniors to play for OUR COUNTRY.

did the US field their best players or diid the NHL keep them back home as well ?

All I am saying is, put our best out there. Just because they are on a NHL team, dosent mean they shouldnt be allowed to represent us proud. This is not a Cherry/Orr, show case event.

Bottom line

The NHL needs to release , BEST ,world juniors to play for OUR COUNTRY.

I agree Brian...but you gotta understand there position. And I'm pretty sure everyone of them players signed there contracts knowing that was the deal when they signed on the dotted line.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

The NHL will not release "needed" players to play in a kids tournament.

The NHL teams are billion dollar industries ...

In fact, we'll see LESS players being released in years to come.

Russia, Canada, USA, Finland, and Sweden all had quality players that were junior eligible held back by their NHL clubs.

All I am saying is, put our best out there. Just because they are on a NHL team, dosent mean they shouldnt be allowed to represent us proud. This is not a Cherry/Orr, show case event.

When you're signing these guys to multi million dollar contracts, the last thing you'd want is them being seriously hurt playing in the Juniors. I can understand why the teams won't release them. It sucks, but that's what happens.

just because the European teams are playing finesse skill hockey does not mean that we have to.

Yes the game is evolving, but we cant forget that Canadian's make up 85% of the NHL.

We are getting away from what made us good and are trying to play a more european style of hockey. Back during the drive for 5 etc the canadians played a hard nosed tough forechecking game. A game where you grinded the european teams into oblivion. Size, physicality plus puck skills won it for us every time.

Now I am seeing a huge evolution in Junior Hockey. Yes its great to have great skill, but being one dimensional and scared to forecheck hard, and play shut down D is to the detriment of Canadian Hockey.Remember Eric Lindros at the Juniors?

The mentality amognst players is basically becoming a bunch of pretty boys that are out there to toe drag a snipe a Gino.

Basically we are developing Nazem Kadris and patrick Kanes instead of toews and crosbys...its not good.

Anyone who wants to argue that the physical game doesnt work, or is disappearing...ask yourself who the best coaches in the NHL are and then ask yourself what style of game they play.

The Dallas' and the Montreals of the league just dont finish when it comes to the playoffs, you cant play soft hockey and win it all.

Edited by AKRISONER