Knots

shimano19

Was fishing the river today and had an issue with knots breaking. I'm using froghair 6lb floro for float fishing. Smaller diameter than other 6lb in the market. I generally use a Davy knot and it holds up well but today I snapped 3 fish off at the hook or swivel and not horsing them much. What are some knots you guys use with good strength. Thanks

Orvis knot. Changed over to this knot about 25 years ago. Used a simple test (below) and it beat EVERY other knot hands down. And , yes I tried them all. Orvis tippet knot for joining leader to mainline. I now put the line through a piece of cardborad just in front of the leather work glove as the swivel shoots like a bullet if the wrong knot breaks. It is a very easy and simple knot to tie, great when your fingers are frozen.

KnotTester.jpg

Edited by muddler

make sure you really moisten the line before locking the knot down, the friction is more then enough to weaken the line

I was the palomar for some lures, but everything else i use the improved clinch. I use the surgeons knot for joining 2 lines together, great for replacing tippets.

Palomar knot all the way. The line is not junk please don't listen to some people. You also have to remember you need to lube the line before you sinch it down. Slow it down as the knot comes together and use your saliva to lube it up. By not luberacating the line your creating weak spots in the knot that will fail. Slow the knot down and lube it. The old lub comes in handy for a few things eh...

The drawback I find with tying a leader-to-hook Palomar is that it uses more line than some of the other knots.

I can do the improved cinch on a limp line like braid but on fine mono or fluoro I loose track of where I'm supposed to thread it back thru or that little 'gap' closes up. I guess it's the combo of my big clumsy fingers and my eyesight.

I wouldn't mind trying that Orvis knot but I can't fancy carrying that chair around!! :D:P