Drifting With Drifter - Michigan Steelhead With Dave Orr

solopaddler

As most of you guys know Dave is down from Yellowknife for the month of December for a visit. Long before he moved north we fished a lot of steelhead together here in the Great Lakes region so it really was nice to share a drift with him again. It's been five years since the last time which frankly blows my mind. The older you get the faster time seems to fly by...

In any case being blessed with mild weather we decided to make the long run to Michigan to fish the Manistee for a couple of days. It's a compelling river, large and challenging. Every fish hooked is hard earned and memorable, it really is steelhead fishing at its finest at least imo.

While we didn't set the world on fire we caught fish consistently and guess what? Dave and I were the ONLY two anglers fishing a long stretch of prime river! It doesn't get any better than that!!

Here's a handful of shots including a couple of Dave hard at work in his office. There will be more updates throughout December, this was just a start. :)

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

Thanks guys! For me (and Dave as well) this was more about just getting out, the fish are just a bonus. I've been so busy all fall I've barely fished steelhead at all and it's been killing me!

Nice bows!, always good to be alone on the water!

Being by ourselves was the best part!

You sure lucked out on the weather! Looks like one hell of a spot.

Yes on both counts! That river is really something special.

You made the right choice there guys. Those are some nice long fish there. Well done. :Gonefishing:

Here's hoping there's still a chance to hook up.

Mike, one of these days, not in my lifetime, you will post and say you got 'skunked' :)

NEVER!!! :)

Those look a lot bigger than the ones I catch in the Credit or the ones I see other guys catch. Any reason for that?

My experience has been bigger water = bigger fish. Fishing the Niagara River all winter you will see a number of mid teen fish with the occasional bigger one, then while fishing the Ganny or the Credit in the spring you get good numbers of cookie cutter 5 pounders. Same Lake.