Ever been stiffed by the 407 ETR?

tb4me

PA registered vehicles do not have a front tag. I've heard it is somewhat expensive, but I do t know what it would be. we get on there around Burlington and run it until we get off at the 400. My guess is, we would be on just about the entire length of it. Not sure how far it continues past the 400. I wonder, if we Americans had an unpaid balance, would the border patrol know ?

Our trailer tag is underneath the frame and angles a litle, so that may help with not getting a clear photo.

Edited by Rich Clemens

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania refuses to release license plate data to to the ETR, therefore the ETR has no address information on where to send bills. A few years ago Pennsylvania was looking at the possibility of setting up a similar deal as the ETR on interstate 80 with an exchange of information but it fell through when the legislature voted down releasing our information. Most of the states surrounding Pa released their license plate data to the Ontario government and the ETR but Pennsylvania says that private and will not release it at least for the present time.

Yes, I use the ETR on my yearly fishing trips to Northern Ontario for the convenience but if the timing is right I also enjoy traveling the back roads North. I am amazed by the rugged rock formations and deep cuts necessary to make roads, the little rock piles people make( I forget their name), the great little restaurants along the way, I guess I enjoy the traveling almost as much as the fishing.

Seanik(Jerry)

On the South shore of Lake Erie

I commuted to the North end of Toronto for a few years when the 407 was first opened and still owned by the province. I used the 407 daily to miss the Burlington Mississauga mess and still use it fairly regularly unless I can avoid it by travelling in off hours. At that time the 403 to Burlington stretch didn't exist, it was only 2 lanes from the 403 to Mississauga Road and 3 lanes the rest of the way. I continued to use it after it was sold and the ETR extended on to Burlington. Since then, it has been expanded tremendously. It is now minimum 3 lanes and 4 & 5 lanes in many of the busier areas. The highway is generally very safe with wide shoulders and very well maintained. The OPP that patrol the road are a separate division and paid for by the 407 consortium that own it and the highway maintenance is also paid for directly by the 407. I have had a few billing issues (especially the trailer double billing thingy) but they were all resolved fairly easily.

With that said, I have mixed feelings on the whole toll road thing. On one hand, I wish is wasn't so expensive and I wish the province hadn't sold it. On the other hand, I highly doubt that any of the expansions would have been done (at least as soon as they were) and doubt very much that the highway would be maintained half as well as it is if the Province was in charge. I think that those who can afford to use it will continue to use it as long as it's fast and convenient and there is lots of people doing so especially at rush hours. I would hate to see all those cars diverted onto the other highways in the area, it would be a disaster.

here is a petition to sign.. I personally signed it as I too am a business owner , and I cant get the Ontario government to do my dirty bill collecting..

Sign it here

https://www.change.org/p/government-of-ontario-kathleen-wynne-stop-the-etr-abuse?recruiter=64615899&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

I commuted to the North end of Toronto for a few years when the 407 was first opened and still owned by the province. I used the 407 daily to miss the Burlington Mississauga mess and still use it fairly regularly unless I can avoid it by travelling in off hours. At that time the 403 to Burlington stretch didn't exist, it was only 2 lanes from the 403 to Mississauga Road and 3 lanes the rest of the way. I continued to use it after it was sold and the ETR extended on to Burlington. Since then, it has been expanded tremendously. It is now minimum 3 lanes and 4 & 5 lanes in many of the busier areas. The highway is generally very safe with wide shoulders and very well maintained. The OPP that patrol the road are a separate division and paid for by the 407 consortium that own it and the highway maintenance is also paid for directly by the 407. I have had a few billing issues (especially the trailer double billing thingy) but they were all resolved fairly easily.

With that said, I have mixed feelings on the whole toll road thing. On one hand, I wish is wasn't so expensive and I wish the province hadn't sold it. On the other hand, I highly doubt that any of the expansions would have been done (at least as soon as they were) and doubt very much that the highway would be maintained half as well as it is if the Province was in charge. I think that those who can afford to use it will continue to use it as long as it's fast and convenient and there is lots of people doing so especially at rush hours. I would hate to see all those cars diverted onto the other highways in the area, it would be a disaster.

I'm glad you're happy with the ETR..........but did you hear the latest rumor (could be just that) that the ETR is considering charging more during rush hours then off hours, much like the hydro meters work.......errrrrrrrrr ! ! !

They already do charge more for certain times of the day.

It ranges from 19 to 34 cents per km depending on when you drive on it.

25BBCE3B-08C8-44D8-AF6B-DEBFAB1DB7F9_zps

I'm glad you're happy with the ETR..........but did you hear the latest rumor (could be just that) that the ETR is considering charging more during rush hours then off hours, much like the hydro meters work.......errrrrrrrrr ! ! !

Edited by ccmt

I bet that American tourists travel the 407 free.

I have yet to get a bill from the 407 when I travel up North driving USA Virginia with front and rear plates on truck and trailer. The plate is fairly low and the Ranger does hang a little off the back. I use a Fast Tool that reads when I come across the boarder though and it gets a charge.

Art

They already do and have been for a long time

he said last months bill was close to $1500...

I could sit in a lot of traffic jams for $1500, that's absolutely insane and just another reason I'll never drive on that road.

Edited by lew

I don't think I ever said I was happy with it....if your going across the city in rush hour, there really isn't much of an option.

Rich the ETR only shoots for the rear plate.. why an overhanging load.. the luggage bag on a Harley or a dropped tail gate are a good thing!

They will charge you for that too, I think it's $280 bucks for not having your plate visible. It's under the Ontario Highway Traffic Act and they nail people all the time....drivers with tinted plate covers get the same treatment

Edited by G.mech

407 says my brother in law owes them $50 grand. He had to higher a lawyer and is fighting it. Some one used his info to get a transponder in 2001 and used it almost every day for 10 yrs. amazing. I give him the gears about it every time I see him.

Oh and they take a flick of your front plate as well. Tailgate down or towing a boat doesn't work anymore.

Gotta love Canada. Just add a tax that will pay for whatever we need. No one in this country is gonna argue it anyway.

Interesting... I've travelled the 407 several times in the past year alone with a 12' long crate hanging out beyond my rear plate. The only bill I've received from 407ETR is for mine and Terry's trip to BOQ in September and unfortunately Terry couldn't reach far enough back to cover my rear plate! My brother rides it regularily on his Harley,has never received a bill and nothing they can do as his luggage box location is factory.

Edited by irishfield

They already do charge more for certain times of the day.

It ranges from 19 to 34 cents per km depending on when you drive on it.

25BBCE3B-08C8-44D8-AF6B-DEBFAB1DB7F9_zps

THANK YOU so much for posting that because I was unaware.....

After some digging I found the closest other toll road in the states which in this case is the NYS Thruway....the compared costs is SHOCKING to say the least.

If you travel the NYS Thruway with their EZPASS tag similar to the ETR system you are paying on average of ONLY 4.5 cents per mile compared to the ETR of paying as much as 34.73 cents per km......I didn't realize it was this much out of wack.

Edited by Mister G

X3

It can rot for all I care. I'll sit in traffic for hours before I go on it. $35.00 to get there 5 min's earlier :worthy::wallbash:

Leave a little early!! :dunno:

Well that's easier said than done if you have to do that commute every day. After about 7am, the 407 saves about an hour on the trip from Burlington to Weston Road, depending on traffic of course, it could be more. Same thing on the way home. The cost of the trip is about 18 bucks each way. If you were losing two hours on top of your work day & commute every day of your life, you'd be on it too. I hate the thing myself but given the rest of the highways are a mess every day during the rush ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I did it for 5 years and tried every trick in the book to beat the tolls, avoid the traffic and everything else but unfortunately, they've got a lot of people by the short and curlies.

Edited by G.mech

407 = legalised extortion. I only use them in situations where the 401 is completely impractical, or if a client will pay a surcharge. And I can't avoid throwing in a political comment: I wonder if Ernie Eves has a Cayman Islands bank account that grew fatter off that sale.

Had a big run-in with them last year. I was driving near their office, so I decided to drop in and pay my bill. Didn't have the actual bill with me, but so what? They should know how much I owe.

Yeah, they do, but they won't tell me.

WHAT? THE? heck

Yeah, they won't tell you the amount of your bill. Why, I asked. They just don't. Is this any way to run a business, I asked. Well, the representative replied, I don't know of any other business who operates that way.

I repeat: WHAT? THE?heck

Do you mean to tell me that when I go to Loblaws they don't total up the amount at the register? Instead, do they expect me to add it all up myself, including taxable items, and tell them how much I'm supposed to pay?! When I get my car serviced, am I supposed to figure out the cost of all the parts and labour, and tell them how much I owe?
It ended in a screaming match, and I came very close to saying things that would have had me incarcerated. Then I stormed out.
I found out that I can set up with my bank to pay through an ATM, so that's what I do now. No more dealing with quasi-criminals who shouldn't be allowed to operate a lemonade stand.
The question stated in the original post title is rhetorical: everyone who uses it is stiffed by its very existence.
Edited by aplumma
mock cussing needs to be avoids please