Need to re fog Yammy?

captpierre

So did my usual winterizing of my 115 and put her to bed.

Then took her out again with the nice fall weather.

Didn't use the live wells.

Do I need to re squirt fogging oil into the cylinders again and turn her over a bit?

And do I need to pump more antifreeze into the front and back live well system after not turning pump on since winterizing with antifreeze.

Feeling kinda lazy but want to do it right

By running it, the fogging you did a couple weeks ago is now useless.

edit- like Wayne and Mike I don't fog my 4 stroke either, always premium (no ethanol) gas, last tank with Stabil

I don't fog 2 strokes either, premium gas, Stabil, and a cap full of oil down the spark plug hole and pull it over a few times.

Edited by chris.brock

Why I cap my livewell intake ports after winterizeing and as for fogging, unless you're storing beyond next summer, I wouldn't be bothered with fogging a 4 stroke. Quick check of your lower unit oil for water (pull lower plug.. look.. feel oil.. put back plug). Presuming that you put stabil in your last fuel fill you're good, otherwise you need to go fishing again!

Edited by irishfield

my livewell pipes (both the intake and drain) empty when I pull the boat out of the water. I still pour antifreeze in just in case there's something in the pump, but you could likely get away with just turning it on for a second to run air through it.

Edited by cram

my livewell pipes (both the intake and drain) empty when I pull the boat out of the water. I still pour antifreeze in just in case, but it does seem kind of pointless.

Unless you can see the plumbing, there could be a low spot. Easy and cheap, I'd still pour in some antifreeze.

I've always wondered about the fogging oil.

Seems only the bottom side of the cylinder gets the benefit after I squirt it in.

Unlike the old 2 stroke where I sprayed it into the running carbs and drowned her.

Using a funnel and hose I pour antifreeze into the rear live well intake and run the pump first to the front well. Then close the front well valve and open the rear valve.

I doubt any water gas gone into the pump and plumbing after not running the pump since winterizing. But I'm not sure.

IF you didn't cap that intake, then just putting the boat in the water refilled the pump and lines to the hull water line. Pending how your thru hull pump is mounted, and how the hoses go forward from it, they could hold some water. I know the way mine run that the boat ramp isn't steep enough to empty the hose running to the front live well. (why I cap them before fall Musky fishing)

Unless you can see the plumbing, there could be a low spot. Easy and cheap, I'd still pour in some antifreeze.

I can see the plumbing. I pour it anyway in case there's something left in the intake pump. Seems pointless, but you never know. Edited my post.

sweet ride. do the antifreeze thing - cheap insurance, I cap off the outlets, duct tape the intake screens and splash well holes as well - just so the mice don't see a potential doorway to a luxury winter condo. Fingers crossed, so far that seems to have worked.

Why not fog a 4stroke? Seems like the heads and pistons would be just as susceptible to corrosion/rust as a 2stroke?

The theory behind not having to fog a 4 stroker is because the internal engine parts are already coated / protected with crankcase oil while a 2 stroker is not............but depending on the engine this could be a false pretense because of piston ring blow-by with fuel washing down the cylinder walls and thus your engine in not getting the protection it needs and you think you are getting.

Fogging a 4 stroke is still a good idea IMHO.......but do what you want because you are going to anyways.... :)

Well I have a four stroke 50hp 2011yamaha outboard and I was speaking with a few Yamaha marine mechanics about that issue to fog or not to fog ?? And they both said basically if it's not going to be stored longer than 6months that it will not need it ... Like Wayne said top it up with premium gas run top quality fuel stabilizer through it make sure water is all drained fresh oil up top & check gear case oil fill it with fresh oil and maybe a corrosion spray on everything and put it away !!!! I have done the above for several years and no issues

My Mercury manual specifically states not to fog the engine. It is a fourtroke. It states if you want to add anything, add a little of the crankcase oil.

I don't fog, my marina recommends I don't do anything so All I do is change the oils and rund 91 (all of the time) with fuel stabilizer and quick kleen through her.

I do not bother with Antifreeze in my live well pumps either. But, I can see where my pumps are.

I use a product called Storage Seal, just remove the 4 plugs, give a squirt into each cylinder and replace the plugs. Hit the key for 2 seconds and it's good to go for the winter.

Been doing this with a couple 4 strokes for the last 15 years and never an issue.

As far as livewell lines freezing ,,,,my garden hose has water in the bottom of it hanging on the clip,,,never split the hose,,,don't worry about your lines they will be fine

Garden hoses are usually flexible and can expand with the ice. The hoses in your boat, not to mention the pumps, may not be so foregiving.