Is touching boats too close?

One day ice fishing me and my buddy are sitting about 10 feet apart. We had augered a bunch of holes around us so we didn't have to restart teh auger later. We started catching crappies and then all of a sudden a guy just sits down between the two of us and starts fishing in one of our holes!!!

One day ice fishing me and my buddy are sitting about 10 feet apart. We had augered a bunch of holes around us so we didn't have to restart teh auger later. We started catching crappies and then all of a sudden a guy just sits down between the two of us and starts fishing in one of our holes!!!

Wow. If that happened on any of my crappie spots. Boy. That would have turned in to a violent encounter. Honestly. It would have had a very very bad outcome.

My favorite thing to do is to catch fish right behind them between the shore and them.

You know 'cause they always be wading out to their boobies because the fish are on the other side of the river.

No reason to allow yourself to be greased out!!!!

There are many good methods to rid yourself of wanna be invaders!!!

Just to name a couple try faking Tourets Syndrome or casting like an epileptic!!!! :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

There are many others but you will have to read my book "Combating Greasers, The Art of River Fishing" coming to a store near you just in time for Christmas!!! :whistling:

:good::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Time to start up the gas auger and start drilling a new hole 3" from the one he's fishing!

Time to start up the gas auger and start drilling a new hole 3" from the one he's fishing!

NAH!!!

Just auger a series of holes in about a 6' radius of the interloper.

Now the trick is all of the holes need to overlap each other.

Once you are all the way around and you drill your last hole to complete the circle around Goober he will magically disappear!!!! :whistling:

About 4-5 of us were 3 k out from Oro 7(or9?) and had a few holes cut. We'd just had 1 hit among all of us.. 2 guys made a beeline out from the shore towards us. We told them we weren't catching anything but I guess they didn't believe us. The plunked themselves down in 2 of our holes. It was more amusing than annoying. After about 1/2 hr of 'not catching(as we were busy doing) they were on the phone and went elsewhere---presumably to their buddies who were catching. I guess we thought it funny how they assumed that 4-5 of us gathered fairly cloes together must be catching fish!! :lol:

Im not sure if anyone else has done this but what we do at a few of our better icefishing spots is drill 5 or 6 holes at "deadspots" usually 100 yards away or so.

Seems many ice anglers will jump on previuosly drilled holes like white on rice.

Works 60% of the time, everytime!

Edited by manitoubass2

206, we are not considered to be restricted in our maneuverability to be a vessel engaged in fishing, this would be for large commercial boats.

I don't dispute that these guys were in the wrong but as the stand on vessel if a boat is going to run into you you are responsible to avoid a collision , (rule 17 ). If you make a very obvious maneuver to put some distance between you they should clue in that they aren't welcome so close, and it doesn't ruin your day. The important thing is don't let some clown ruin your day.

I don't think I would want to be in jail explaining how I killed somebody with an eight once sinker,

I disagree. The stay clear of fishinging boats rule applies to all fishing boats. If they wanted a rule only addressing commercial they would say that. Power boats must stay clear of all boats fishing whether it's someone in a canoe, in a bass boat or trolling for salmon. I troll Georgian Bay and cruise boat and I make sure I obey that rule because I hate it when I am it trolling and someone cruises by 100 ft away throwing a big wake.

I had a guy do this. Thunderstorm had shut them down and nobody had seen a fish all day when I lost a nice smallie at the boat. Tournament guys are usually all "don't come near me" but this guy rushed over and jigged right the side of my boat. One of the guys on my boat was a little upset but I thought it was a hilarious act of desperation.

Rule 3 general definitions (d)

The term "vessel engaged in fishing" means any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls or fishing apparatus which restrict maneuverability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which does not restrict maneuverability.

Rule 3 general definitions (d)

The term "vessel engaged in fishing" means any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls or fishing apparatus which restrict maneuverability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which does not restrict maneuverability.

What about trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which do restrict maneuverability?

When I am running riggers, dipseys, planner boards, and may a copper/leadcore down the shoot; I certainly feel that my manuverability is restricted.

I hear you John, but I can tell you the OPP don't consider us a fishing vessel. And if you are out on BOQ. or the big lakes in a pack of 200 boats do you really want them all to be claiming a right of way over each other.

A vessel restricted by maneuverability must be unable to keep out of the way of another vessel.

Funny story, somewhat relevant.

It was good weather on a winter weekend and there were lots of boats drifting the Niagara Bar. In my infinite wisdom, I threw the anchor out and we held on the break coming up the bar. We were catching fish, but with everyone else drifting in that super fast current, paying attention to their rods, and us stationary, it was like bumper cars out there. We had some laughs that day.