November 11

Rodbender

ugh...yet another year of disappointment here....I was tasked with turning the lights off in our office space at 11 (the lights are in the hall shared with another company *listen up canada* Cough)

so out i went to turn the lights off I hit the switch and the lights go off in our shared hall...everything went smoothly, i went back to my desk to observe 2 minutes of silence, only to have it broken 30 seconds in by employees from the company across the hall yelling "why are the lights off hahahahhahahahahahhaaghahahahhahahahahahah blah blah blah blah" and to turn our lights back on inside our office.

Wow.

Edited by AKRISONER

For those wanting some recent history, this runs tonight as selected Cineplex theatres for free.

The last two airworthy WWII Lancaster Bombers reunited over England to make history in 2014. A war relic from Canada crossed the Atlantic to meet her counterpart in the UK and for the first time in 50 years two Lancasters shared the sky for a reunion tour.

The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum Lancaster, VeRA, flew from Hamilton, Ontario to meet her British counterpart, Thumper—the only other airworthy Lancaster in the world—operated by the Royal Air Force in England. It was a mission unlike any other this Lancaster and her flight crew had ever undertaken.

Two legendary bombers, separated by time and distance, met in Bomber County to fly together, this time in peace. The reunion was also a farewell tour to veterans of Bomber Command, who are so entwined in their proud history. These marvels of mechanical engineering are part of a proud lineage credited with bringing an end to WWII.

First-hand accounts from those who were connected to the bomber during the war transport us back in time as they share what it was like during the Lancaster’s glory days. REUNION OF GIANTS documents this historic mission as it unfolds, through the eyes of the flight crews and veterans—all part of the bombers’ history, including this new chapter as VeRA crosses the Atlantic.

REUNION OF GIANTS premieres Remembrance Day 2015
in select Cineplex theatres across Canada.

Participating theatres will be announced this September with free tickets becoming available beginning October 2, 2015. For information on tickets, theatre locations and future DVD availability, please visit warplane.com.

ugh...yet another year of disappointment here....I was tasked with turning the lights off in our office space at 11 (the lights are in the hall shared with another company *listen up canada* Cough)

so out i went to turn the lights off I hit the switch and the lights go off in our shared hall...everything went smoothly, i went back to my desk to observe 2 minutes of silence, only to have it broken 30 seconds in by employees from the company across the hall yelling "why are the lights off hahahahhahahahahahhaaghahahahhahahahahahah blah blah blah blah" and to turn our lights back on inside our office.

Wow.

That's a shame, - perhaps this one will help -

On November 1 I was the only in the office with a Poppy. I made a few comments over the days and some folks would show up with one here and there - but very much a minority, and not consistently, Yesterday less than half were wearing one. This morning I stopped in at the local Tims, put $20.00 in the poppy box and took the 15 poppies I needed for everyone who would be in the office at 11:00 . I put them on keyboards in the open areas and taped them on the doors of those who had offices. Then I sent a short email asking everyone to take two minutes at 11:00. We don't have a lot of staff - but we are faced paced non stop 18 hours a day

At 11:00 as I sat in my office, for the first time I can remember, a complete silence fell over our company.

I walked down our 1200 foot laneway and lowered my flag at exactly 11am to half mast. The silence on Tay point was eerie to say the least. I've never heard such silence out here. No wind, no road traffic or industrial noise, that is usually pretty prevalent out here on the peninsula. Spent a few minutes reflecting on the sacrifices of many and then the silence was broken by the sound of drums from either Midland or Penetang's cenotaph.

Shortly after that surprised by all things to hear guys sighting their guns up the road at the gun club. Of all days I find that pretty disrespectful and I'm a gun owner.

Edited by irishfield

Today at work, I could see a few trucks parked and a guy I didn't recognize. I went over and the guy I didn't recognize was a friend who had taken off his hat, he wears a baseball hat everyday, all day.

Q107 played the bugle song, it was 11 o'clock, and we all stood there without speaking, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't choked up.

Edited by chris.brock

That's a shame, - perhaps this one will help -

On November 1 I was the only in the office with a Poppy. I made a few comments over the days and some folks would show up with one here and there - but very much a minority, and not consistently, Yesterday less than half were wearing one. This morning I stopped in at the local Tims, put $20.00 in the poppy box and took the 15 poppies I needed for everyone who would be in the office at 11:00 . I put them on keyboards in the open areas and taped them on the doors of those who had offices. Then I sent a short email asking everyone to take two minutes at 11:00. We don't have a lot of staff - but we are faced paced non stop 18 hours a day

At 11:00 as I sat in my office, for the first time I can remember, a complete silence fell over our company.

Fantastic idea, im doing this next year. im just gonna throw a big bill in the poppy box and make sure everyone in the office has one. I actually being totally serious when i say that i might have been the only person in my office wearing a poppy yesterday, its pretty sad...

Im not even going to get into it, but many of you can probably piece the problem together.

That'd be a great show to see Will

I used to enjoy seeing that old plane flying around Toronto during the Ex and sadly haven't seen it since I moved to the boonies.

It is an incredible plane to see in the air. I can't imagine hundreds of them flying in at the same time.

They are releasing it on DVD and Blue Ray Lew. You won't have to leave the comfort of your home other than to go to the mail box if you wanted a copy. http://www.warplane.com/gift-shop/coming-soon/new-product-releases-page1.aspx

My roommate from college was lucky enough to be one of the cameraman that few over to England in the Lancaster. A once in a lifetime event for sure.

I see the Lancaster regularly so I guess I'm lucky.. I've been inside the museum during the moment of silence and the building rumbles.. this year it's flying partner was the b25 so the noise was beautiful.. all of the services around here get a flyby and in years past we used to get one at our service at work ...

Edited by pics