Who is going to pull the trigger?

Big Cliff

Remember how I said I read a variety of sources?

I clicked your link and it said I've already read my "ten free articles for the month"!

So I can't check your link until I get to a computer, but I will.

EDIT: found a workaround, and was pleased to see this:

"RCMP Commissioner Paulson, whose agency will conduct database checks on all refugees, said that all necessary security work can be quickly accomplished.

Yes, he answered in a direct question on the governments ability to meet its deadline. We will play a role in making the security checks and confirm peoples identity. In my view, the system is satisfactory.

Added Mr. Coulombe, the director of CSIS: I am confident that the measures in place are robust and appropriate.

This should put some fears to rest I would think, but perhaps I am being naive.

Edited by Dutch01

Right now we have a new Nazi to fear (Trump) who has just advocated a policy of registering all Muslims. Sound familiar?

I certainly see parallels. Our hatred of Jews ( i.e the West---Hitler did not act alone. Lots of anti-Semitism all over Europe and N.A) nearly destroyed Western civilization. Our collective hatred of Muslims may well finish us off---unless we can rein in some of the hatred being spread in various quarters.

I certainly see parallels. Our hatred of Jews ( i.e the West---Hitler did not act alone. Lots of anti-Semitism all over Europe and N.A) nearly destroyed Western civilization. Our collective hatred of Muslims may well finish us off---unless we can rein in some of the hatred being spread in various quarters.

Hitler was supported by ashkenazi jews.

Directly funded from the west and western bankers.

So today the Liberals announce that it is going to cost $60,000.00/ to land and settle each of these refugies.

Cliff, I would imagine it costs more than 10 times that for each bomb we drop. If we're counting pennies we ought to start there.

I'm okay with a Canada that spends money to resettle legitimate refugees. These refugees are not fleeing poverty, they're fleeing war. Before the civil war Damascus was a thriving city of 1.7m people. They have skills and I believe they will contribute and become a part of our society.

I don't know $60,000.00 per person times 10 people is $600,000.00 . One bomb costing $600,000.00 any more than 10 kills makes it a good way to save money.

Just trying to lighten this up a little.

The thing about these types of discussions is they are all argued in black and white and no shade of gray is acceptable. A little give on both sides is most likely going to be the correct answer.

Art

So today the Liberals announce that it is going to cost $60,000.00/ to land and settle each of these refugies.

I don't see how that is relevant. When a gov't breaks an election promise we have every right to complain. When they keep one they are doing what the voters elected them to do. $60k might seem a bit steep but it's not outrageous.

Here's another viewpoint on ISIS

http://www.lfpress.com/2015/11/18/more-terror-acts-inevitable-in-this-power-struggle

Edited by SirCranksaLot

I think it is relevant in that this is 1.5 billion taxpayer dollars that they are spending, they originally said it would cost about 1/5 of that. $240,000.00 to settle a family of 4 (and that doesn't include all the medical, dental........ costs). Totally rediculious!

It would be different if we were flush with money and the Canadians that are already here were taken care of but that isn't the case. Our health care system is already being slashed (because we can't afford to pay Dr.s and nurses; medication costs......) We have seniors living below the poverty line (because there is no more money to give them).

It's fine to keep a promise, if you can afford it!

We have seniors living below the poverty line (because there is no more money to give them).

Not just seniors but vet's too and some of them are still in their 30's...

I'm pro refugee, but have to wonder if 1.2B could be better spent in ohter ways to keep more than 25k Syrians safe.

If it were 1.2B "down the hole" I might be inclined to agree with you.

The expectation is that enough of these refugees will become contributors to the tax base and that figure will be greatly reduced over time.

Remember, many of these refugees have skills and can contribute. It isn't like bringing people from the desert of Somalia. Damascus was a city of 1.7M before the coalition and Assad levelled it. A city that big has doctors, lawyers, electricians, butchers etc.

As mentioned earlier, it was an election promise so I'm not going to fault Trudeau for following through. It's my hope that we'll look back and feel like we did the right thing.

The expectation is that enough of these refugees will become contributors to the tax base and that figure will be greatly reduced over time.

Remember, many of these refugees have skills and can contribute. It isn't like bringing people from the desert of Somalia. Damascus was a city of 1.7M before the coalition and Assad levelled it. A city that big has doctors, lawyers, electricians, butchers etc.

As mentioned earlier, it was an election promise so I'm not going to fault Trudeau for following through. It's my hope that we'll look back and feel like we did the right thing.

I can agree mostly with this but Im on the fence about the refugee situation.

When we take part in bombing them it it gets complicated.

Also, as I think you stated dutch(i think?),

Why are other capable countries not helping???

This is just odd imo.

Ill admit though I dont fully understand it so my comments are but a grain of salt.

Is it perhaps western influence on these bordering countries to not take in refugees???

I suppose its possible.

And is there any good info on russias response to the downed plane after its been confirmed to be caused by an Isis macguyver bomb?

I think it's the morally right thing to do, especially since we contributed to the bombing of their city.

Just wonder if 1.2B could help a lot more people than 25k. If 10 countries contributed $12B to something more local (a safe town in Syria), wouldn't it go a lot farther?

I think it's the morally right thing to do, especially since we contributed to the bombing of their city

This gets me...

Stop f in bombing them.

In this day in age, with our technologies, we( the west and russia) know exactly where ISIS/ISIL etc are.

Dont bomb innocents.

WE ARE NOT ISRAEL/SAUDI ARABIA/BRITAIN

Edited by manitoubass2

One thing I'd like to add....

Several members spoke earlier about not shirking our international obligations. I think it's important to note, this IS an international obligation.

It's not as though "Canada" was sitting around and said "hey I think we should take in refugees" out if the blue.

The UN refugee response team formulated a plan to get these people out of UN camps, because they can't live there forever. They came up with what I would call modest targets for a bunch of member nations, and then asked us to assist themv with their plan.

We said no to bombing, and as far as I know, the bombing is not UN sanctioned. I'm a little fuzzy on that point I admit I could be wrong. However, refugee settlement is sanctioned and we said yes to our international partners.

I'm not always pro UN, it's a flawed governing body at best. But we are either in, or out. Right now we're in, so this is the right thing to do in my opinion.

Edited by Dutch01

Irediculious!

Our health care system is already being slashed (because we can't afford to pay Dr.s and nurses; medication costs......) We have seniors living below the poverty line (because there is no more money to give them).

Why so bitter?

Have been severely disabled myself for near decade. I get nothing but learned to survive.

Have lived way below poverty line. No need for money wasting toys etc...

When hospitalized the Dr's and nurses were all there, really helped.

Hopefully some Syrians open a restaurant around here. Love that Middle Eastern food.

Nice peeps there.

Edited by ehg

God forbid r but let's say the Paris attack happens in one of the towns or cities we live in. Are we just going to accept it and let them destroy the rest of our country. Do u really think u will do the daily commute to work the next morning. I doubt it maybe family members may be lost or co workers or your place of employment or even the roads u travel

I know damn well we would say no more and fight to keep our country safe

No u may never snuff them out but u sure as crap can let them know u will not destroy our country

For decades we have watched on TV what happens over there but they are showing it can happen anywhere

Sadly like a lady said on the news today from Paris. I feel like I am living in a cemetery

Is that what u want our country to turn out like

Damn well not

Some of u have never saw extreme barbaric acts but some of us have

U won't be on the computer when stuff happens

Let's keep our countries safe